Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
iRex DR1000S Pressreader Review

iRex has released software update 1.03 for the DR1000S. This update allows you to read newspapers from PressDisplay. The update also includes a 30 day free trial of the website.

The Selection
PressDisplay has a relatively large newspaper selection. They certainly don't have every newspaper (my local Indianapolis Star newspaper is missing), but they do have the major players in the US. Among the USA selection is the USA Today, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, among others. You can see the full selection on their website. It's sorted by country, and definitely has international appeal.

Downloading Newspapers
Downloading a newspaper is a relatively simple process. You will have to download the Pressreader application. There is a Windows version, and also a Mac version in beta. I downloaded the windows version on my Vista laptop. I authorized the computer, searched for the newspaper I wanted, and selected "Read Offline". It then downloaded the newspaper to my computer. After the download finished, I had to tell the software to copy it to my DR1000. It was a simple process, although slightly time consuming. The newspaper file is about 40 megabytes. It would be nice if it could download directly to my device, but I understand why it needs to be a two step process.

Reading on the DR1000S
The PressReader application on the DR1000S is fairly simple, although easy to use. It didn't include instructions, but I'm not sure if they're needed. I selected the newspaper file I copied to my device, and it quickly opened. I was immediately greeted with the front page of the USA today. You can read the text without zooming in, however it's not very comfortable. You can zoom in on an article by tapping the center of it. It will zoom in to the text at a very readable level. You can then use either the on screen arrows to move around, use the arrows on the device, or drag the stylus on the screen to pan. The viewer also supports thumbnails. You can easily make out the image of the page and any pictures that are on it. Overall, it's a very nice reading experience.

There are a few things that are slightly disappointing about the software. There appears to be only one zoom level. This isn't a big deal, as the text should be readable to most people with even below average vision. But it would be nice to zoom out slightly to get more text on the screen. The viewer also doesn't have page numbers or hyperlinks. If you're reading an article that says it's "Continued on page 5A", you have no way of quickly navigating there. Because you have to select an area to zoom in on, there is also no way to read effectively without the stylus. This may be a problem for when the DR1000 comes out without the wacom screen. Also, bookmarking and annotation could be useful, but since newspapers expire after 14 days (at least on the PC, I don't know about the DR), I'm not sure if it's necessary.

Conclusion
The PressReader application is very nice if you would like to read one of the supported newspapers on your DR1000S. I highly recommend everyone with a DR to upgrade and take full advantage of the 30 day trial. It's a pleasure to read a newspaper without having to hold a gigantic stack of dead trees. Personally, I get all of my news from the internet and RSS feeds, and I doubt I will purchase one of their plans after the 30 day period. However, if you're currently subscribed to any of the newspapers that they carry, it may be well worth subscribing to their $9.95 31 issue plan, or their $29.95 unlimited plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usadr.jpg
Views:	1398
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	19035  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
I'm still downloading a paper to DR. I think one thing that kills the usability of Press Reader is its file size. It takes about 3 minutes to download an issue (~30MB) to DR. If they think seriously about supporting DR, they must optimize their app.

Added> I found PressReader on DR is quitely well optimized. Navigating and reading 150MB file(washington post) is really interactive. Quality of applicaiton itself is beyond my expectation!

Last edited by smp_iliad; 12-11-2008 at 11:21 AM.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
So what's the newspaper's file format on the iLiad? IIRC the desktop application works with some kind of Adobe DRMed PDF files. Is this the same for the DR?
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

This is a proprietary, encrypted file format specifically for the PressReader application.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I guess it doesn't count towards the Mobipocket DRM exclusivity agreement, even though they're encrypted.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Can't seem to get their beta MAC software to authorise. It keeps telling me I get a bad answer from the server and to check the URL. I'm tempted to give a bad answer back. In the meantime I await press readers support.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
an absolute pleasure to see the responsiveness of the pressreader app on dr1000s. this gives me hope that one day my magazines in pdf format would be turn pages a lot faster than they do now. is there a better(=faster) pdf reader out there?

press reader along with fbreader pretty much justifies for me the price of the irex device.

/bazmi.
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
and also a Mac version in beta.

Any mention of subscription pricing?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Any mention of subscription pricing?

BOb
$9.95/Month 31 issue plan, or $29.95/Month unlimited plan.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazmi View Post
an absolute pleasure to see the responsiveness of the pressreader app on dr1000s. this gives me hope that one day my magazines in pdf format would be turn pages a lot faster than they do now. is there a better(=faster) pdf reader out there?

press reader along with fbreader pretty much justifies for me the price of the irex device.

/bazmi.
Agreed. It's odd how well PressReader works, and how slow PDF's can be. Hopefully they optimize the PDF plugin for future versions.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Agreed. It's odd how well PressReader works, and how slow PDF's can be. Hopefully they optimize the PDF plugin for future versions.
I assume this is due to the news stuff being a text based format rather than page based format. (Just guessing)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
adi
Enthusiast
adi began at the beginning.

Device: irex digital reader
Works on Linux

The windows version of the pressdisplay reader works partially. It can be installed using wine, I can browse Press Display's website and view the papers using their software, but I cannot save the newspapers. However, if I browse the papers through firefox, and save it for offline reading, it works. The paper shows up in press display software, and I can export it to irex (the option is there, I haven't actually tried exporting it yet).

Not all features of the software work, but I will be happy as long as I can transfer the papers to DR.
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
A lot of that probably has to do with how well the document is optimized, rather than the reader/plugin. Since PressReader is delivering the content, they should have a lot more control over how it is formated, etc. PDF documents can be all over the place since the spec is fairly loose. Some of them are well optimized, others are just a mess.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #14
donCalpe
donCalpe began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
How can I export the newspaper to the DR1000S after downloading to the computer ? I can't see an export option. ( I am running pressreader Windows SW v. 5.0.8.1209 after downloading to a MAC does not work at all ).
donCalpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I don't think the MAC version works yet, at least not with either myself or the others posting here.
However, running the Windows version under parallels does. The downloads are terribly slow.
Once you have it in the pressreader application you then view it in the Library. Opening it you should then see it in the "Now Reading" section.
At this point you can then go to the file menu and "Export to irex".

This can be either the SD card or the connected DR1000, (In the Pressreader folder). In my experience just saving it to the SD Card via a card reader is quicker & more reliable in the MAC.

Does this help?
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote