Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
mack 120
Enthusiast
mack 120 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPad, Samsung NC10, IPhone 3GS, iMac, Sony PRS505 (broke)
Yikes! Screen gone west.

Any help advice would be grateful.

I have had a Sony PRS 505 since last November. Wife got friends to get me one from the states as birthday pressie. I love it and have treated it like the Gothenburg bible. Always cased and looked after with reverence. Since i have had it, i have spoken highly of it to people in the uk who have shown an interest in it. Thus have been an unpaid sales rep for the reader prior to is release in the uk. Imagine my dismay yesterday morning after having only read it the night before woke up to ?scrambled ?confused screen?

just wondering were i stand regard living in the uk and the the machine was bought in USA.

Any advice and comments most welcome. Just hoping dont have to fork out for a new machine as they are more expensive over here. Also may look a other alternatives if my Sony is beyond repair.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	512.0 KB
ID:	16400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	16401  
mack 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack 120 View Post
Any help advice would be grateful.

I have had a Sony PRS 505 since last November. Wife got friends to get me one from the states as birthday pressie. I love it and have treated it like the Gothenburg bible. Always cased and looked after with reverence. Since i have had it, i have spoken highly of it to people in the uk who have shown an interest in it. Thus have been an unpaid sales rep for the reader prior to is release in the uk. Imagine my dismay yesterday morning after having only read it the night before woke up to ?scrambled ?confused screen?

just wondering were i stand regard living in the uk and the the machine was bought in USA.

Any advice and comments most welcome. Just hoping dont have to fork out for a new machine as they are more expensive over here. Also may look a other alternatives if my Sony is beyond repair.

Thanks in advance
If I recall there was someone that was outside of the US, that was able to ship his Sony for repair to the US. I think it cost him $129 for the repair or something, but don't quote me.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 09-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PSR500,Gen3, iPhone3G, PPro, iPad , Samsung Galaxy S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If I recall there was someone that was outside of the US, that was able to ship his Sony for repair to the US. I think it cost him $129 for the repair or something, but don't quote me.

BOb
And while he may be able to ship it to them, I don't think they ship back to addresses outside the us, so that may have to be considered. All that Shipping does add up.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
And while he may be able to ship it to them, I don't think they ship back to addresses outside the us, so that may have to be considered. All that Shipping does add up.
Afaik Sony does send it back to addresses outside the us too - at your own risk. Some days ago Sony told me this:
*1 - We strongly recommend you provide a physical U.S. street
address for UPS or FedEx delivery. If you have a relative,
friend or business associate here we strongly suggest you
use theirs. Then after they have received your unit, they can
forward it to your current location at their expense using any
carrier of your choice. Although Sony will ship your item to
any address your request, if you insist on a non-U.S. address
(or a PO/APO/FPO box), we will only ship the unit via U.S. mail.
U.S. mail deliveries will be shipped without any insurance or
tracking data purchased by Sony. In these instances you must
agree in writing to also release Sony from all liability for the
safe return of your item or we will refuse to ship the item.
You should also be aware that Sony will NOT pay for any
required import taxes, tariffs or other fees levied by your country.

Michael
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfoldedigorsk reads XML... blindfolded

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Aha, so they do send overseas on request. Useful to know, thanks!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
sergiodongala
Connoisseur
sergiodongala doesn't littersergiodongala doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Oh my friend it happened with me too.
As I'm is europe I had to send it to US to repair, but I gues I needed to ad 50 $ to have a new one.
Them they send it to your adress.
I guess this is a error form them, my reader had this problem after a day of many sun. I dont know if was the hot or wat, but be carefull with your reader I had to pay more, But I guess you guys in US have Warranty for 2 years.
sergiodongala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
ceptimus
ceptimus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Have you tried resetting it (toggle power switch while pressing something through the small hole in the back) and/or recharging the battery?

Last edited by ceptimus; 09-28-2008 at 11:23 AM.
ceptimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:00 AM   #8
sergiodongala
Connoisseur
sergiodongala doesn't littersergiodongala doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
I tried everything you can think about.
Before sending I phone them and they told me many things to do but it never worked.
I only hope this problem never happen again.
sergiodongala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
mack 120
Enthusiast

Bit of an update. Sent my reader off to Uk sony in late december. (Been traveling prior to that in Oz, wish id been able to take the reader lol). Sent it off made no secret that it was from the states bought over 12 months ago. Unable to say why screen has gone west etc. The contacted asking where purchased etc............ and they may sort the problem out on warranty. Not holding my breath. Tracked the order today. States: awaiting delivery.
Will let you know if i get a big bill. Hope not. Would have rather bought a new unit.

Fingers crossed

Mack 120
Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
mack 120
Enthusiast

Hi bad news.

Just received the estimate from Sony in the uk.
To repair the unit £198.31.
For the pleasure of their estimate i have to pay them 52.88.
the told me the screen had cracked and they are very expensive.
The unit retails in the uk for £198.00.

I will be emailing them, was to irrate to talk on the phone.
Why are the USA customers offered a service and accidental cover package, but this is not offer to the uk customers.

Very sadden by sony, really loved the reader but now have purchased books unable to read, think i may go back to the paper format?

Ill keep you update what is sonys reply, but feel other new users should be made aware of the pit fall.

Mack 120
Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I awoke one morning several weeks ago (maybe nearly two months now )to find that my PRS505 looked almost exactly like that. (I have theorized that its probable that I may have leaned into it after it slid under a pillow,as in I didn't see it-and probably elbowed it-its the only reasonable explanation-as the reader has traveled constantly with me,with NO damage-additionally..all of my other gadgets are fine ....)

I searched online,and found the Sony support page,at first excited that perhaps it would cost as little as $29USD to fix-after actually getting someone on the phone,and explaining,I got a little more detail,but again they couldn't give me an exact estimate/quote.I would have to ship it to the repair center myself (at cost),plus at least the $29USD-then they would contact me with an estimate,and I could agree to have it repaired,or have the unit sent back.I DID start the process,and then the holidays completely derailed me (during which I proceeded to go through reader withdrawal....). So ,I decided after the holidays that I would restart the process-but before doing it,I searched for a bit-and found some other anectdotes where people were saying they recieved quotes for repair that were nearly as much as just replacement cost-so I decided against it (factoring in that the shipping costs plus the quote would mean I'd end up spending MORE than if I just walked into a store and bought one-or ordered a new one online)

Earlier this week,I went to my local Sony Style store,I wanted to see the PRS700BC before deciding whether or not to buy a third PRS505 (to replace my original PRS505,the second one I bought is used by my other half) or to just buy a PRS700BC.I opted for the later ,and bought the warranty plan offered via Sony.( Oddly enough,when I bought the PRS505s..I do not recall being offered a warranty to purchase,or told that I could get one via Sony...I would've bought it,just because of how much we travel with them)

I am still wondering if I should try to replace the screen via some other method,either myself or not sending it to the ARC...it wouldn't be entirely bad to have that PRS505 as the backup to my PRS700,or I could even give it to another family member ....any suggestions or recommendations for that are welcome...
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote