|12-01-2008, 08:27 AM||#1|
Join Date: Dec 2008
Device: Irex DR
My impression of the DR1000
I got my device a few days ago, after several weeks of waiting.
As most others have observed, the screen is quite good, and it is fun to read with it. I use it mostly to read and annotate research papers, and for this is works quite well.
But still it is quite annoying that the DR1000 could be so much better without much effort.
My main points of annoyance:
- In general, the user interface "feels" like Windows 3.1 and not like a modern application. A pity Irex didn't hire someone who knows something about modern and efficient GUI design.
- Why do I have to navigate through multiple menus to shut off the DR? For this alone the user interface designers should be killed.
- Why are there 6 buttons for "next/previous page" navigation, and why does the middle button of one of the three otherwise identical button groups have a different meaning? I often hit some of these buttons accidentially. If you select something with the bottom buttons, then it is weird that you have to go to a different button group to confirm your choice.
- The PDF reader is too slow! It takes up to 5 seconds to turn a page. I am a software engineer, and I am pretty certain that this is only due to bad programming, and not hardware limitations. I'd like to use the DR for sheet music on my piano, but then 5 seconds is much too slow.
- In general, the buttons do not work very well. Often when I touch a button it is not registered as a button touch, or it is registered as two button touches (which means another 15 seconds of time lost - 10 seconds to turn two pages forward, and then 5 seconds to go back to the page I wanted originally)
It is a nice device (although too expensive for normal book reading). I sincerly hope that some of my concerns will be addressed by future software improvements.
|12-01-2008, 06:03 PM||#2|
Join Date: May 2007
Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|iPad First impression: Things I don't like||The Old Man||Apple Devices||14||04-04-2010 02:26 AM|
|Samsung Impression||Dr.smith||Alternative Devices||1||12-07-2009 12:05 PM|
|Newbies first impression on PB360||Ebiumn||PocketBook||6||12-02-2009 07:59 AM|
|New Server - Your Impression!||Alexander Turcic||Announcements||14||08-25-2009 06:41 PM|
|Quick First impression||pthwaite||iRex||50||12-06-2008 11:08 PM|