Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
deadspot80
deadspot80 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I need HELP ! ebooks not opening!

Hi everyone,
This is my first post and i am really looking farward to be a part of this site.

I have a reall problem and i wish somebody could help, here it goes.

I am living outsied the U.S and i bought a Kindle, i recieved it 4 days ago. The thing is that i had a very hard time buying ebooks from amazon, but anyway i did finaly buy 2 books. But when i downloaded them to my pc and then transfered them to my Kindle they dont open. It tells me " This item could not be opened ........ "

I downloaded books from other sites and they worked fine..

So my problem is that amazon books are not working. i dont know if its a geographical issue or its something else. So, is anybody here ordering from amazon while they are outside the U.S?

Please help.
deadspot80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I'm not outside the US, but a couple questions:

Did you buy the Kindle with a US based credit card and shipped to a US address?? or, Did you buy the Kindle directly from Amazon or from ebay or another 3rd party?

For the books, is your One Click credit card a US credit card with a US billing address?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Is your Kindle registered to the Amazon Account you are purchasing from?
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Hi, deadspot80, it's Deb from the Amazon forum. As we discussed there, at this point, unless you can get a U.S. credit card tied to a U.S. address you should start looking into another way to purchase books (since the gift card downloads are not working).

Purchasing books from sources such as Fictionwise.com and eReader.com, may require some conversion to work on your Kindle.

Here are some threads to become familiar with:

Amazon Kindle Hack - python script tools to set up your Kindle for reading DRM content from other sources - you just need the links from the first post
How to Make Igorks Scripts Work - how to use the python script tools you got from the first link - I found post #4 to be the easiest to understand
The Idiot's Guide to running Igorsk's Python Scripts - more on how to use the scripts
MobiPocket Decoder Tool - more tools

You should also become familiar with the following free software:

MobiPocket Desktop Reader - Windows only
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ilsCreator.asp - Windows only, install the Publisher Edition when given the choice during installation
Stanza - Window and Mac
ConvertLit
MobiPearl

How's that for a start!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
deadspot80

Thankx for the help..

Believe it or not i am still finding a hard time using Igor's hack!

I am dull when it comes to these programming things.

But thanks anyway..
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspot80 View Post
Thankx for the help..

Believe it or not i am still finding a hard time using Igor's hack!

I am dull when it comes to these programming things.

But thanks anyway..
Tell us what the issues are so we can help you through them. I'm not a programmer either but there are lots of posts that were helpful to me. Maybe I can point you to more details or someone will jump in with an answer.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
deadspot80

well,

I have all the scripts in 1 folder. Then i opened a new txt file. I wrote :

kindlepid.py Mykindleserialnumber

Then i didnt know how to change the .txt file to a .BAt format !
Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
deadspot80

OK,
so now i changed the file from .txt to .BAt

but when i click on the file it says " windows cannot open this file ..... "

and when i choose cancel it goes to DOS. and it says press any button to continue, and when i do it closes the window without giving me an PID i can put in fictionwise for the book i bought!!

I dont know what am doing wrong! or what am not doing at all for that matter!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

do you have python installed?

edit your .bat file to be:

post content modified on Amazon's request

So, when the bat file runs it will put your pid number into the text file.

But, make sure that you have python installed (ie. c:\python25) and that the python directory is part of your environment path (right click on My computer, choose properties, click on advanced tab, click on the environment variables button. In the box for system variables, find the "path" entry...click it and click edit and make sure the directory where you have python installed is listed as part of the path).

If python is not installed or in the path, your .py file will not be able to run.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspot80 View Post
OK,
so now i changed the file from .txt to .BAt

but when i click on the file it says " windows cannot open this file ..... "
two things.

1. Add a second line to your .bat file with the word "pause" in it. Not quotes of course.

2. Did you install python from python.org?

Is there a reason you don't just run the command in the cmd window rather than creating a .bat file. Once you run it and get the PID your done and won't need to run it again.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-17-2008 at 02:15 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
deadspot80

Ya, i downloaded python and i put it on the same folder i am working on ..

Now i did exactly like u guys said i wrote :

post content modified on Amazon's request

And then changed the format from .txt to .BAT ..

When i run the .BAT file it opens a notepad txt which is the same Kindlepid.py file i had from the begining!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
texasnightowl
Guru

First, did you download Python or did you download and INSTALL it? If you go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, is Python listed?

now forget the .bat file...do the following:

Click the Start button and choose Run. Type in "cmd" without the quotes and hit enter to open a command window. It should have a line like:

c:\documents and settings\yourusername>

We need to change to the directory that python and your scripts are in. So in the command window, type:

cd \python25 (assuming that is the folder where python is) and hit enter. The line should now look like:

c:\python25>

Now type the command: post content modified on Amazon's request

What does it say?

Also, to get your kindlepid you can also just find a copy of MobiPocket Reader v.6.0 (not 6.1 or 6.2, but 6.0). It will display your KindlePID.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #13
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Also, to get your kindlepid you can also just find a copy of MobiPocket Reader v.6.0 (not 6.1 or 6.2, but 6.0). It will display your KindlePID.
Where can you get MobiPocket Reader v.6.0?
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #14
texasnightowl
Guru

There's a link in the Kindle Content section in the Sticky thread: Beginner's Guide to Kindle Content.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLS View Post
Where can you get MobiPocket Reader v.6.0?
You can download it from this link. Note that you have to use it with Windows XP to get your Kindle's PID (it won't give you the PID if used with Vista).