Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Thumbs up Webster, Noah: Webster's Dictionary 1913 (updated), v2.1, 17 July 2009

All this recent talk of dictionaries made me dig up this dictionary I had converted to eBookwise 1150 .imp several years ago.

This ambitious project by The K-Dawg ( http://web.archive.org/web/200406061...adiocrypt.com/ ) updated the 1913 Webster's dictionary back in 2003 to include (sic) 125,970 searchable words!!!

BTW, Easter egg alert, check the entry for 'K-Dawg, The' after the Ka words.... (Pompous comes to mind!)

Note this webpage is no longer on the internet, but can still be found using the WayBackMachine at archive.org. The original Websters' Dictionary 2.0.rb (for the Rocket eBook reader) may not be still available there, but I have posted a copy of it here (15MB). The info extracted from that .rb is presented here:
Quote:
COMMENT=Info file for the following eBook
TITLE=Webster's Dictionary ver 2.0
AUTHOR=HTML ed. by KDawg
BODY=Final12.html
URL=ebook:rbmk-3e58bb890987fff91699
GENERATOR=rbmake v0.99f using the rbmake library v0.99f
HKEY=1
TYPE=2
VERSION=1
PARSE=1
OUTPUT=1
I updated the .html (see '_2.0_prc_source' .zip attached below) extracted from that .rb to convert to .prc! The .html now includes 110,875 words, a two-tier TOC with tier one being placed in the first page of the reader and tier two (2600+ links) from the letters of the alphabet.

I automated the process to add TOC entries into a two-tiered TOC. I ended up adding just over 2600 TOC links. The idea was to space them evenly over every 50 words and then the mid point would be no more than 25 words from either side (word_before TOClink or word_after TOClink). With an average of (say) 5 words to a "page" that would mean the mid point would be only 5 page-turns away!

Now, the exciting news, all words referenced in a definition like 'See Base' are now hyperlinked to that entry in the dictionary; some 50,000+ new links have been added by me!

Using Mobipocket Creator, this conversion from .html to .prc using high-compression took about 6 hours! A 26MB standard-compression version is available here.

Even though this is a 100 year old dictionary and notnow specifically in Mobipocket dictionary format, I hope you find it useful. I know some people will probably read it like a book....

BTW, did I mention IT'S HUGE.

Enjoy this one!

EDIT: 23 Nov 2008 I just found this great abbreviation reference listing to the (1913) abbreviations used throughout this dictionary. Now you'll be in the know!

EDIT: 17 July 2009 Uploaded an updated version 2.1 as 'Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21.prc' a true look-up type dictionary with improved TOC links and cover page display as well as incorporated the abbreviations listing. See post #13 below for the actual post!

!!! Please note that 'Websters Dictionary 1913_2.0.prc' (now removed) is actually the older version 2.0 ebook and has been improved upon in the version 2.1 offering (_ver21.prc) above !!!

Previous downloads for v2.0: 447
Previous downloads for v2.1: 193 (before being moved below)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRC_cover.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	17601   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRC_1.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	17602   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRC_2.jpg
Views:	1536
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	17603   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRC_81.jpg
Views:	1449
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	17604   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRC_2658.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	17605   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRC_35779.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	17606  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Websters Dictionary 1913_2.0_prc_source.zip (11.54 MB, 2436 views)
File Type: prc Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21.prc (13.72 MB, 2608 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-08-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: added version 2.1 true look-up with improved TOC links/cover page display as well as incorporated the abbreviations listing
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Thanx.
This is really a nice reference tool for most people.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Thanx.
This is really a nice reference tool for most people.
Thanks, it just got better (sort of).

I've just added an external link to post #1 above for a great abbreviation reference listing to the (1913) abbreviations used throughout this dictionary. Now you'll be in the know!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is well formatted for browsing, but it can't be used as a MobiPocket dictionary for word look up in a MOBI ebook. The earlier Dictionary, Webster's: Webster's Dictionary 1913, v1, 22 Nov 07 can
be used for word look up.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is well formatted for browsing, but it can't be used as a MobiPocket dictionary for word look up in a MOBI ebook. The earlier Dictionary, Webster's: Webster's Dictionary 1913, v1, 22 Nov 07 can
be used for word look up.

That's true, but I've recently converted this dictionary to ver 2.1; that IS now a true look-up dictionary as per the Mobipocket guidelines and this helpful post.

What's New in ver 2.1:
  • hopefully will have a working cover image (was problematic in .epub version only)
  • include above Abbreviations listing this time.

I'm still in the process of converting ver 2.1 to other ebooks formats, .epub, and .imp and perhaps a reflow (small screened) .pdf. When I'm done, I'll update post #1 above.

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-23-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added What's New in ver 2.1
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I'm still in the process of converting ver 2.1 to other ebooks formats, .epub, and .imp and perhaps a reflow (small screened) .pdf. When I'm done, I'll update post #1 above.
Well, I'm still trying to convert ver 2.1 to .epub (failed over the weekend as I ran out of memory, again) but I'm done with the .imp versions.

In the meantime, I'll post the high-compression .prc version of my ver 2.1 true Mobipocket look-up type dictionary here. You are welcomed to "test it out" before I finalize this version and offically update post #1. Comments would be appreciated until then, otherwise they may have to wait until ver 2.2! .

EDIT: newer and working as a true a lookup type mobipocket dictionary below.

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-06-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: now working as a true a lookup type mobipocket dictionary
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
nrapallo

Quote:
You are welcomed to "test it out" before I finalize this version and offically update post #1. Comments would be appreciated until then, otherwise they may have to wait until ver 2.2! .
Can anyone report if this is truly a look-up type mobipocket dictionary now?

I don't have any hardware reader to test this on. Can it be improved?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Dabon
Connoisseur
Dabon doesn't litterDabon doesn't litter

Device: iliad V2; ipad 2-64GB,3G
Thank you for the effort, nrapallo.

I have tried it today and it did not work.

Thanks,

Dabon.
Dabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabon View Post
Thank you for the effort, nrapallo.

I have tried it today and it did not work.

Thanks,

Dabon.
Thanks, I couldn't get it to work with the software Mobipocket Reader. Perhaps, it needs the <guide> entries that also are part of the Mobipocket guidelines.

I'll give this another try...
Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
nrapallo

Another try....

A repost of the high-compression .prc version of my ver 2.1 true Mobipocket look-up type dictionary. It seems my previous version was missing an .opf entry that was required i.e. a checkmarked 'This eBook is a dictionary' in the Book Settings!

Can anyone report if this now is truly a look-up type mobipocket dictionary now?

I did manage to get it to work with the software Mobipocket Reader!

EDIT: newer and working as a true a lookup type mobipocket dictionary below.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	true-mobipocket-lookup-dictionary-ver21.jpg
Views:	1123
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	25073  

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-06-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: added image of lookup
Old 03-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It works on my CyBook, but only for the main word. It couldn't find girded or stumbled, while my Chambers did. Perhaps there's some way to identify those words in the entry that should cause a lookup to happen as well as the main word?

It also doesn't have a Table of Content link in to Goto menu.

But I was impressed by the many links to enable words to be looked up without a keyboard - something my Chambers dictionary doesn't have.

Paul

Quote:

A repost of the high-compression .prc version of my ver 2.1 true Mobipocket look-up type dictionary. It seems my previous version was missing an .opf entry that was required i.e. a checkmarked 'This eBook is a dictionary' in the Book Settings!

Can anyone report if this now is truly a look-up type mobipocket dictionary now?

I did manage to get it to work with the software Mobipocket Reader!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It works on my CyBook, but only for the main word. It couldn't find girded or stumbled, while my Chambers did. Perhaps there's some way to identify those words in the entry that should cause a lookup to happen as well as the main word?
Thanks for verifying this!

If the lookup process can't remove the obvious suffixes, then there would be no way to get those additional related words/tenses recognized short of wraping every such word with the <idx:orth> pairs.

Quote:
It also doesn't have a Table of Content link in to Goto menu.

But I was impressed by the many links to enable words to be looked up without a keyboard - something my Chambers dictionary doesn't have.

Paul
I'll try adding the reference to "toc" in the <guide> section of the .opf. The <a name="TOC"> is already there at the beginning of the .html. Is it case-sensitive?

Stay tuned...

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-05-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
Thanks for verifying this!

If the lookup process can't remove the obvious suffixes, then there would be no way to get those additional related words/tenses recognized short of wraping every such word with the <idxrth> pairs.

I'll try adding the reference to "toc" in the <guide> section of the .opf. The <a name="TOC"> is already there at the beginning of the .html. Is it case-sensitive?

Stay tuned...
Paul, does this one work with the Cybook's Goto menu?

If not, do you know what needs to be added to the .html or .opf to "enable" that feature. It takes 8 hrs to generate this high-compression .prc ebook, so knowing the exact solution will help.

This is the code I used in the .opf:
Code:
<guide>
<reference type="Find" title="Look Up Word" onclick= "index_search('', 'Alphabetical lookup', '', 'none')" />
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Final12-NR-linked-every50_TRUE-ver21prc.html#TOC"/>
</guide>
and in the .html:
Code:
<body style="margin-left:2%; margin-right:2%; text-align:left">

<a name="TOC"></a>
<center>
<h2>Webster's Dictionary 1913 (ver. 2.1)</h2>
</center>
<hr>
<br>
<h2>Table of Contents</h2>
<hr>
EDIT: 'Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21.prc' now moved to post #1 above!

Previous downloads: 193

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-06-2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Official release 2.1 version... (Moved to post #1 above)
Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Would it be possible to get a copy of this dictionary that uses the standard compression method? The Jetbook does not support the high compression method. I just now tried it in FBReader and it also doesn't support high encryption.

Thanks.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Would it be possible to get a copy of this dictionary that uses the standard compression method? The Jetbook does not support the high compression method. I just now tried it in FBReader and it also doesn't support high encryption.

Thanks.
Sure, I can compile a standard compression version, but it will be huge (20MB+). Give me a few days to get to this.

However, I may wait, until I've had a chance to complete my v2.1 updates. I found a more complete 1913 abbreviations listing that I now want to include instead of the simple one I used previously. We'll see.