Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 01-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Avantgo'05 receives positive review

Msmobiles.com reviewed the latest incarnation of AvantGo and came to the conclusion that "contrary to common beliefs, AvantGo is a very effective way of browsing information in mobile device and it is possible to browse (not just synchronize) web page fully wirelessly."

While I don't share the very positive sentiment of the author -- I find AvantGo way too slow and restrictive for my every day use -- I am still grateful for the review which offers a lot of screenshots
Old 01-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
There is no mac support by Avantgo for mac osx as I can see except for third party support. I'm so used to isilo and I don't want to have to sync avantgo everytime I sync my device or have to sync my device to get content. I just like isilo better.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
You can use malsync on OSX, just like you can on Linux. I just verified this the other day to help another user with a similar problem. Works like a champ.

...not that I'm advocating AvantGo, of course <grin>
Old 01-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'radleyp knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Morpheus, I have actually used this application, and frankly there is less than meets the eye. It looks good at first - especially when compared to its now aged predecessor. But I have the same objections I have always had: content is restricted and is downloaded both slowly and in huge sizes; the font incredibly varies by site and is impossibly small at times; and it has ads (an ugly site on a handheld). Its only advantage over Plucker/iSilo is that it allows for wireless syncs, but what advantage is that when you can use a normal browser? I have three partners with Palms and they have all tried and abandoned AvantGo. Philippe Radley