Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Occasionally read technical books on my laptop but, apart from that, I read exclusively on an eBook reader. In fact, I started on my iPaq back in '99 and got hopelessly addicted.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #17
JeffElkins
PRSCustomizer
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS 505 Blue/iPod Touch/Epic 4G/Nook Classic
I will read the occasional short story but not much else (other than 'normal' web content.)
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #18
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I've never really read on the PC. Ever since learning how to liberate my media I've started reading using Mobipocket. Now I read more on the PC than on the Kindle

P.S. Reading as in books only.
I have maybe 10-12 Microsoft e-reader (or whatever the name of the format was), collected over the period of about a year (plus some "other" sourced pdf and txt books), but I never enjoyed reading them on my laptop or PC and had pretty much given up on reading books in an electronic format - before I got my Kindle, anyway.

I do spend probably 3-4 hours a day on the computer just reading news, politics, science, talk sites and moderating in a couple forums, plus checking email and other PC-type tasks. I am very glad to walk away from the computer to read books.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:42 PM   #19
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
A lot of my work requires working with Government forms in Word and Excel so a computer is critical. For non-work reading there are the MR forums and other web sites so a computer again. For pleasure reading there is the Sony Reader (and that must be loaded from a computer and the ebooks either downloaded on a computer or prepared on a computer.) As Harry and Bob mentioned, there are also paper books that are used for refernce.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, Jetbook Mini, Jetbook Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro
I read quite a lot on my laptop; including webpages and forums!

Before I made 20 hour long journeys about 4 to 6 times per year, and because I didn't have anything else, I used Adobe reader 7, because it allowed me to read fullscreen in many ways.

today the majority of my reading is web-based, and I don't travel as far anymore.
But the thought of having a 6" pdf or ebook reader for on holidays struck me, and then I read about e-ink, which might be the major reason of my transition.

Most of my reading still will be on my laptop (web based reading), but many books and texts will make way into the ebook reader soon!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad 2|iPhone 4|Sony 600
I used to read a lot on my computer (fan fiction), but that was also what pushed me to buy my first reading device. Now I only read the occasional short story on the computer.

However, I've just a bought a netbook (Acer Aspire One), and I might just find myself read more from a computer again - but this time in the sofa
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #22
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Even after getting my Kindle I never quite given up reading on my laptop (in bed) or my MacPro (in study). At work I constantly read off my PC as everything is in adobe format, excel, word or email. Sometimes I even read off my iphone but that is mostly via Stanza (bbc and NYTimes technology pages) and news feeds.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #23
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ea_ View Post
I used to read a lot on my computer (fan fiction), but that was also what pushed me to buy my first reading device. Now I only read the occasional short story on the computer.

However, I've just a bought a netbook (Acer Aspire One), and I might just find myself read more from a computer again - but this time in the sofa

How's the Acer? I've been thinking about it, but would like a first-hand review. Frankly, at this point and needing jumbo fonts, I prefer reading on a PC. I can zoom it 200% as big as will fit on the screen. However, because my only reading time is during commute and waiting in lines, I'm happily reading on my EB-1150 - after some finagling to make it jumbo font.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #24
Ordinaryuser
Enthusiast
Ordinaryuser doesn't litterOrdinaryuser doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Reader
I used to read a lot on the PC, particularly ebooks that were available from my library for download. Had to stop when my eyes started to bother me. Now I just use my Sony Reader and a day light lamp which used a sunlight type spectrum. Really is a lot easier and more readable.

Didn't bother me when I was younger but even a regular lightbulb doesn't work very well now with older eyes.
Ordinaryuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
To read on the 500 or 505 while it's charging, just use the AC adapter to charge the device and you can read while It is charging. Use the USB port and it will not work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote