Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Okay, pop quiz. Where does the avatar come from?
______
Dennis

Outer space?? Not sure if it's from a plan8 though - probably a plan9 (but I'm just guessing, I'll ask Glenda when I see her.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Azpen A727 tablet, Fujitsu Lifebook p2110 w/ FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
A MobileRead avatar-creation contest? The latest Star Wars movie? PlanetHead's moleskine? Okay, I give.
The avatar is Glenda the bunny. Glenda is the creation of a New York City artist named Renee French. She's the mascot for the open source Plan 9 operating system from Bell Labs, joining Tux the Linux penguin and the BSD devil in a tiny club. She has an unofficial home page here.

I encountered Glenda, and said "The logo for a cool open source OS, whose name derives from Ed Wood's "Plan 9 from Outer Space", arguably the worst SF film ever made, and done by an artist from NYC. What's not to like?" and adopted her as my avatar.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 10-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #18
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Congrats, Dennis!
Thank you.

Quote:
So what happened to Tapwave when they got sold?
They didn't get sold. They went belly up. Their affairs were handed to an SF firm specializing in winding down distressed companies, which is a way to fold your tents and creep away without actually going Chapter 11.

Essentially, they went back to the well for more venture funding and came up dry. At the end, they were trying to morph from device manufacturer to engineering firm making designs other people would manufacture, but failed to make the transition. Reams have been written on why Tapwave failed, starting with an inability to get game developers on board, and promotion so heavily oriented toward gaming that it could be hard to discover it was also a superb PDA, but the point is long since moot.

Motorola bought some intellectual property from Tapwave, and some Tapwave engineers went to work for them on an unspecified "We can't tell you what it is, but it will be really cool!" product, but Tapwave is now a fond memory.

I have three of them, so I expect to use a Zodiac for quite some time.
______
Dennis
Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #19
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hey Dennis, great news.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Great news , Dennis! Congrats!

You have edified me on several occasions. I look forward to more helpful insight.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #21
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Congratulations!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #22
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Congratulation!! your insights are always welcome.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
A very well deserved promotion/ascendancy/colour change (delete as appropriate). Congratulations. And someone who knows about Plan 9, to boot!

I look forward more excellent reports, and insights!
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #24
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
You're one of the ablest researchers in this place. Good to see you there.

BTW I always thought that avatar was your real portrait. It saddens me now to have to see you otherwise.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #25
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Congrats, Dennis (nice name, although, to me you will always be "Bunny McCunney" ... I can't help it ... it's how I think of you).
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #26
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Congrats, Dennis (nice name, although, to me you will always be "Bunny McCunney" ... I can't help it ... it's how I think of you).
Don't make me unleash my Evil Twin...

______
Dennis
Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 AM   #27
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Dennis, thanks for the warning!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #28
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Don't make me unleash my Evil Twin...
See? I knew Bunny McCunney had some evil in him somewhere!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #29
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
I have three of them, so I expect to use a Tapwave for the foreseeable future.

(And I have yet to find anything comparable.)
Hear, hear! Two Zods here. Nothing else measures up...

And congratulations, Bu--, I mean Dennis!
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Heh, I knew there was a reason I like you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote