Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
dso371
Enthusiast
dso371 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 36
Karma: 13
Join Date: Feb 2008
Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Endless reboot - major problem, help!!

Hi, my Iliad has been fine since I got it, but today it is endlessly rebooting.

I was trying to sync to my PC, and I read somwhere that I needed to delete the usr/share folder and replace it to get the sync to work. I deleted the folder in emelFM but it didn't give permission to create a new share folder. Not long after it went into endless reboot.

All I get is the Iliad screen with book images again and again.

Soft reset doesn't work.
Hard reset doesn't work.
Cannot reflash because I can't get it to power off!!

Just the same screen again and again, with the green light on and the white screen in between each reboot.

Help please!! I've submitted a ticket with Irex but don't know how they'll take to respond. I will have to let the power run out then charge again and try to reflash, but somehow I doubt it will work.

How can I get the damn thing to just turn off and stop rebooting???

Yours desperately,
David
dso371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,293
Karma: 529619
Join Date: May 2007
Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dso371 View Post
Hi, my Iliad has been fine since I got it, but today it is endlessly rebooting.

I was trying to sync to my PC, and I read somwhere that I needed to delete the usr/share folder and replace it to get the sync to work.
It's obviously too late now, but I think deleting that folder was a bad idea. Where did you read that it was necessary to sync with the PC? /usr/share shouldn't have anything to do with syncing. It's part of the OS.

Quote:
Soft reset doesn't work.
Hard reset doesn't work.
Cannot reflash because I can't get it to power off!!
I'm surprised the power down button doesn't work. I know you mentioned this, but I think you should be able to let it go until the battery runs out and it shuts down. Then recharge it and reflash when you boot. That's what I'd try.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 09-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough
 
Adam B.'s Avatar
 
Posts: 1,695
Karma: 7194
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Hit the reset button on the back of the unit. That will do a hard power off.

Then, you can perform the reflash with a CF card. A normal reflash should work without problems.

Oh, and don't forget the most important step: Calm down, and take a few deep breaths. Your iLiad will work again soon. No need to panic.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 28
Karma: 10
Join Date: Aug 2007
Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
Hi,

I had one the same problem. I changed the startup fille and Iliad continued with restarting.
Probably waiting for the emptiness the battery and restart with boot loader would solve the problem, but there is an easiest way.

Hit the reset button at the backside of the Iliad with the pen as Adam recommended. By this action you will stop the continuous restarting. Then switch off the unit and simultaneously hold the internet button (right up corner). Leave the power button and hold internet button for 5 seconds same time. If you have the system image in the CF card, boot loader will reflash the system from CF.
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
dso371
Enthusiast
dso371 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 36
Karma: 13
Join Date: Feb 2008
Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
THANKS

Finally got it to work as suggested, thanks guys! I thought my Iliad was dead but it has come back to life!

Much appreciated,
David


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbebg View Post
Hi,

I had one the same problem. I changed the startup fille and Iliad continued with restarting.
Probably waiting for the emptiness the battery and restart with boot loader would solve the problem, but there is an easiest way.

Hit the reset button at the backside of the Iliad with the pen as Adam recommended. By this action you will stop the continuous restarting. Then switch off the unit and simultaneously hold the internet button (right up corner). Leave the power button and hold internet button for 5 seconds same time. If you have the system image in the CF card, boot loader will reflash the system from CF.
dso371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Major problem with eBooks dwig General Discussions 2 08-21-2010 11:54 AM
Major problem with JBL... Will NOT turn on w/ batteries. :( grndslm Ectaco jetBook 2 05-30-2010 11:29 PM
Possible Major Problem for PRS500 Mac people rwsimon Sony Reader 10 12-18-2009 09:21 AM
Endless Conversion lit->epub slantybard Calibre 5 04-24-2009 01:09 PM
Continual reboot problem even with b796fmt FrancisT Bookeen 6 04-20-2009 04:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.