Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 12-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Vampires use the Tungsten T5

I just watched the movie Blade:Trinity and was fairly surprised to see a vampire using a Tungsten T5 to navigate his way through some ancient tombs (in the very beginning of the movie).

That is the second movie where I've seen this kind of hidden advertisement by palmOne. Did you watch "After the Sunset"? Pierce Brosnan was using a Treo 600 to remotely control a vehicle.

In each movie the Palm logo was clearly visible.

They are trying hard, aren't they?
Old 12-09-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
macumazahn
macumazahn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E
So what's new!

They are trying to catch up with all the blatant Macs all over TV and movies one would think that MS didn't exist.
Terry

Enthusiast
Old 12-16-2004, 07:54 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I don't think that anyone will ever think that MS doesn't exist.

There was also that movie "Little Black Book" (I swear I didn't see it) that had the humongous T|C and supposedly the GF looks into it and meets all the guys ex-flames, or something.

Now there are these PalmOne commercials all over the place, I think PalmOne smells the coffee and is trying to make the best out of not-such-a-good-thing.
POL9A
Old 12-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
macumazahn
macumazahn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E
I really don't mind it, until they hold the can of Coke up and the camera zooms in for 30 seconds, that's way too much, the Macs irk me because as usual Hoolywood doesn't know what goes on in the real world, I have seen more Macs on Tv and in movies than I have encountered in real life in PC repair.
Terry
Old 12-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Maybe that's for a reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macumazahn
the Macs irk me because as usual Hoolywood doesn't know what goes on in the real world, I have seen more Macs on Tv and in movies than I have encountered in real life in PC repair.
Maybe it's because PC's need more service. (I just couldn't resist. )

Not to be a Mac zealot, but Mac users tend to take their Macs to Mac-centric service centers (especially with the advent of the Apple Store and associated "Genius Bar") than to just any old PC repair shop. If they have the choice between a Mac-centric service repair shop and a general PC service shop.

That, and working in the Film/Video business, more entertainment professionals tend (for whatever reason) to use Apple products. They put into movies what they know. And the entire bottom line is that whoever gives up the most "Product Placement" money gets their product featured. It's a type of advertising and not just up to the whim of the entertainment industry. Knowing the Mac platform, they tend to be open to making these inquiries into reaching a "Product Placement" deal with Apple, but if Dell offered more, they'd take it.

Most Hollywood movies are just vehicles for turning $10 million into $20 million. The story and the incidentals are just cogs in the money-making machine. The art in use is the art of making money, not the art of filmmaking.
POL9A
Old 12-28-2004, 01:47 AM   #6
ScoutBuck
ScoutBuck began at the beginning.

Device: TT5, Treo600, TT3, TC ...
Some days ago I received an images that it´s supouse to be of Blade Trinity, I don´t know cause in my city, the movie isn´t at the theaters, I post, and the persons whose already saw the movie can tell Us if those images are real.

The image:

More images at Pda Mexico

Last edited by ScoutBuck; 12-28-2004 at 01:55 AM. Reason: modify the word theather for theater
Old 12-28-2004, 05:42 AM   #7
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Exactly those were the images I saw in the movie! Thank you ScoutBuck. Looks like someone at palmOne is doing some major PR work
Old 12-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #8
dwig
Guru
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro, Kindle 3/WiFi - Retired:Clie UX50, T415, ...
"Pride of Lions" nailed the "why are there more Mac's" well, with one small addenda needed.

Windows-based PC's, in general, are not visually identifiable by brand. Without the acutal logo, you can rarely tell the brand by sight. Apple devices (Macs, iPods, ...) are all visually distinctive. This makes Apple's advertising money reasonable well spent when used in such product placement "ads". Dell, et. al., would see a much lower value in such deals. Hence, you see more Macs placed in movies than any of the Win/PC brands.

There are occasional "placements" of branded products that occur for reasons other than advertising money. One instance that I have inside knowledge of occured in a movie a few years back, where all of the Unix and Mainframe computer screens were actually Macromedia Director movies running on PCs (Win or Mac? I don't know) hidden off-camera. The art director chose to place, very discretely, several Macromedia product boxes around some of the office sets, apparently as a personal tribute to the products. The word inside Macromedia was that they didn't pay for the placement.