Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Video: printing books in 1947

Here's an interesting video of the book printing process in 1947:
http://vimeo.com/1063458

We've come a long way, baby.

I couldn't find any modern book printing movies except for this print-on-demand outfit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoMfXxVFeks

Anyone have a more "modern" video?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I've just watched this video and I'm astonished by the typesetting machine. One of my first jobs was at a small printing company. My "typesetting" was done my computer but from there, the process was almost as labor intensive and manual. From laser printer output to the darkroom where a negative and then metal plates are made for the press. The ink was mixed by hand. If the item needed 2 colors, there were 2 plates for the project. The pressman ran the first color with one plate, let the ink dry on the paper, changed plates and ink, and ran the paper through the press a second time. We had a folding machine, but booklet signatures had to be collated by hand. Oh yeah, this was in 1997.

I don't think I've ever seen a modern video that covers the entire process from start to finish. That would be interesting.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most companies doing "print on demand" seem to use one of the machines in the Xerox "Docutech" range. My local printer has one of these - it's an amazing beast the length of an entire room and costing an astonishing amount of money. You put paper in at one end and complete bound books come out of the other end.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
blunty
Enthusiast
blunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-booksblunty has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone5, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Vox
We used to have a Linotype caster that set line of hot metal at my school printing club, along with a Heidelberg letterpress printing machine. It was many enjoyable hours spent there that first got me interested in printing as a career (and also helped me fail my A-levels).
Of course you would never be allowed to have school children working that sort of machinery now in case they got injured. But back in the 70's we were often unsupervised, and nobody got hurt.
blunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Very interesting video. I knew nothing about the process, either then or now, before watching this. Now, when I look at my older books I'll understand the effort that went into them.

Thanks,

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I found a "5 color Miller printing press" which really shows the evolution of these behemoths. Google video has a few of these, and here's one labeled "environmentally friendly", and one showing a printing press is not something to get caught in (WARNING: not for the faint of heart, also not if you hate cliched voice-overs).
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote