Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black)
Superscripts in LRF

I am formatting a very long book with hundreds of footnotes. The footnotes are formatted as superscript. I have taken the approach of using the BookCreater template and MS Word since I cannot find an acceptable LRS- or EPUB-output editor (I have not tried InDesign yet.) The original text is in web-page format (HTML).

After converting to LIT and then using Calibre to convert to LF, I find the footnote links are not superscript and are in a very large font. They also will not move to the correct bookmark (MS Word terminology). I am using endnotes at the end of each chapter.

So is superscript not supported in LRF or does Calibre just not support it? How can I make the footnote links resolve to the correct endnote. Or should I use another strategy for footnotes. Inline footnotes are out. Thanks.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650, iPad, nook STR
I've taken some Discworld novels in PRC, converted to HTML using Mobi2OEB and then loaded into Book Designer. The footnotes were kept just fine. Is this HTML something you can attach or link to so I can have a look?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
for calibre to convert something into a superscript you have to put it in the <sup> tag in the source HTML.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black)
The original HTML is copied into MS Word format using the BookCreator template and then I create a LIT file using the Word add-in. I suppose I can explode the LIT to look at the HTML? I looks like I want it in Microsoft Reader and the footnote links work correctly.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, conversion of HTML to LRf is far from an exact science. LRF supports a very small subset ofg the features of HTML. html2lrf tries to map things as intelligently as possible, but it doesn't always succeed. In this cases you have to massage the HTML to get what you want.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@ dynabook To view your HTML you can save yourself a few steps and just save the word doc as HTML of HTML Filtered. The WordRMR plug in does just that before creating the LIT files.
I'm working on a straight Word to LRF for the template it uses Kovoids html2lrf. It's working right now but I have to polish it up before I release it to the public

@kovid: I've looked at the generated html source. The footnotes by default don't have a sub or sup. However even if I add one calibre does not seem to make use of it. I've attached the code and the generated LRF. The html is zipped up.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Bar - Foo.lrf (4.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: zip Bar - Foo.zip (2.8 KB, 115 views)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Oh yeah, that because LRF doesn't support arbitrary markup in links (it support only simple text).