Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
finally a reader i can abuse with footwear!
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Nice video, although the display wasn't prefect (check out closely the "Easy" word, for example).

It can take a shoe hit, but I wonder how much torsion can it take (being so big, there might happen some bending forces and tensions ion the device).

Or what would happen if it fell in the ground, in it's side.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #18
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
Make it color and sell me comic books on it please.

"This is going to open up a whole new series of ads for durabilitiy. "

Haha, they can rate readers on the new Shoe-val scale.

This device is a step in the right direction though.
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Nice video, although the display wasn't prefect (check out closely the "Easy" word, for example).

It can take a shoe hit, but I wonder how much torsion can it take (being so big, there might happen some bending forces and tensions ion the device).

Or what would happen if it fell in the ground, in it's side.
They say in their press release:
Current electronic reading devices feature small displays that are based on fragile glass screens that negatively impact their bulk, durability and weight. Plastic Logic has achieved a product that is the ideally sized for business needs and robust enough to take the push and shove of daily usage, based on its revolutionary plastic electronics display technology.

Revolutionary Plastic Electronics Technology
Plastic Logic’s display technology, first developed at Cambridge University, uses highresolution transistor arrays on flexible plastic substrates, manufactured at a low temperature. The promise of plastic electronics is to disintermediate the traditional silicon based semiconductor industry with components and products that are lighter, less expensive, and more environmentally friendly. Plastic electronics technology has broad applicability across many markets. IDTechEx, an industry research group, estimates the plastic electronics industry will be a $30 billion market by 2015.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #20
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I agree. This is very common for professionals. In addition to lawyer repair techs have many full size tech manuals etc. I personally would want one to be able to have all my programming books on. Just one programming books can weight 10lbs. Now multiply that by several languages, code cookbooks, references manuals for software, etc. It would be nice to be able to carry all those big books.

... Just like the Kindle/Sony saves you from carrying 6 books when you travel or whatever.

Certainly this device will not be for recreational reading.

BOb
But for that type of reference material the SW must allow easy searching for the particular document desired and the section within the document. Otherwise just having all your documents stored sequentially will cause it to be useless for those purposes.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #21
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
But for that type of reference material the SW must allow easy searching for the particular document desired and the section within the document. Otherwise just having all your documents stored sequentially will cause it to be useless for those purposes.
Well, I assume that if they have any sense at all, they will make it searchable. The Kindle does a great job of that, so I don't see why it couldn't be instituted on this product.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Sure, but who says it isn't searchable? The touch screen can allow for a virtual keyboard. They have only shown/talked about the very basics.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #23
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sure, but who says it isn't searchable? The touch screen can allow for a virtual keyboard. They have only shown/talked about the very basics.

Exactly, they will implement a virtual keyboard.

Right now my only concern is battery life. The rest is just perfect.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #24
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Since PLI is targeting the business market for their first roll-out, they state that they will support PDF files, and since many of the business PDFs I have encountered are DRM protected; it means that there will be some keyboard equiv. for the required passwords. Also with some form of Windows (CE?) what add-ons will be available for reading other formats?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #25
frimbob
frimbob began at the beginning.

Device: I-Rex
I will believe it when I see it,

It sounds too good to be true.

If it is true, I will be in the first line.
frimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #26
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hey, all! Long time no see!

Me want. Very much. It's everything I like about my iLiad, but better.

Anyway, I thought I'd point out a brand-new demo video of this thing over on YouTube. Among the features mentioned by the Plastic Logic representative in the video:
  • The touchscreen allows for note-taking and document markup.
  • There will be an onscreen keyboard.
  • Weighs less than a pound.
  • They expect to release a color model in 3-5 years (!!)
No mention of battery life yet.

It looks to me like the entire reader is 8.5"x11", which means the screen is somewhat smaller. I did a quick measurement using a screenshot from the YouTube video, and assuming that the entire reader is letter-sized, the screen would be about 6.5"x8.4", or 165x213mm, or about A5 paper size. In comparison, the iLiad's screen is 122x163mm (A6+), and the Sony Reader and Kindle screens are 90x120mm (A7+).

Anyway, it looks pretty cool. I hope it actually goes into production.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:08 AM   #27
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I wonder if they network at all. Even bluetooth would be ok, maybe preferable, so you can have a bluetooth keyboard and just use them as extra displays for a notebook. For court you might find a touchscreen essential, some courts don't allow laptops at all because of the keyboard noise. But for general use, a few of these as secondary displays while I'm working would be wonderful (I have a 5000x1200 display now, I'd like more). Especially with low power consumption... my pc draws about 300W and nearly half that goes to the screens.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #28
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
I want one. But don't you think the Q2 2009 release date - only to business users, whatever that means - is pretty disappointing?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #29
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I think that means it's going to be expensive, don't you? I can't think of another reason for limiting sales.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #30
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
They say priced in line with other e-ink devices. I agree VR, is that per device or per sq inch of screen? As for business channels first, I think they mean vertical applications before retail sales. The vertical application value added businesses may opt to sell retail, web, or direct. Once released I am sure that one will find its way into Nate's collection.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!