Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-09-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Google "e-book store"

I am sure some of you have already tried using Google to find free e-books. At cebooks blog, I stumbled over the following two Google-queries with some advanced operators, which can do quite some magic:

Find Apache's (default) index page:
+("index of") +("/ebooks"|"/book") +(chm|pdf|lit|zip|rar) +apache

Find a particular e-book file ('TITLE'):
allinurl: +(rar|chm|zip|pdf|lit|tgz) TITLE

Be aware that some of the hits may point to copyright-protected e-books and that neither Google nor I are responsible for that!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:12 AM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
I am sure some of you have already tried using Google to find free e-books.
Great link, thanks for sharing it.

Coincidentally, I just gave a class for 14 local businesses in my area on how to use search engines as a business and competitive-intelligence tool. Every single business was using search engines (primarily Google, MSN, and Yahoo!) as a monolithic tool to "find" stuff. They had no idea they could use it to actually promote their business and directly grow their business.

But all is not gold with Google. There are many things Google cannot do, that other search engines CAN do. The best way to use these tools, is to use them together.

Here are some quick examples of things Google can't do (there are several others, but they're not necessary to explain here):

Google offers a 'link:<domain>' syntax, which can show you which sites link to that particular domain. Here is one example, showing that 1,020 sites link to plkr.org. Running the equivalent search at Yahoo! shows 11,300 results. The difference? Google only searches the exact domain that you're searching for. Yahoo! searches every domain that includes that domain root in the search (www.plkr.org, code.plkr.org, and so on).

Unable to combine search synax with other parameters. You can't run something like: link:plkr.org desktop to search for the term 'desktop' within all of the plkr.org domains. With Yahoo!, I can use that same syntax, to return 1,870 hits.

You can't use very long queries with Google. Anything beyond 10 words, is dropped by Google. If you were searching for a very specific quote someone said, and using the -foo -bar +blort syntax to pare your search down, it would fail pretty fast, after 10 words. This is especially-true when you want to combine the previous kinds of searches into one query, such as: +"breast cancer" site:edu allintitle:research. It will run out pretty fast, and you won't get the results you want.

As someone who uses the Internet as a real research tool for a good portion of my job, these differences are very important for me.

Last edited by hacker; 12-10-2004 at 01:16 AM.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2004, 01:40 AM   #3
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Hacker, a suggestion:
Write a search engines guide, and then publish it for plucker (or iSilo, etcetera).
I'd like to read more, and you've asked before what would interest us to see published as an eBook.
Cheers.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:23 AM   #4
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
That's actually not a bad idea. I should think about distributing my training and class materials in various handheld formats..

Some other more-important things are on the short term goal list right now, however. I'll keep it in mind once I clear my plate a bit.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:18 AM   #5
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
>Write a search engines guide

I thought so too but the best I could find was a small hands-on guide in googling, to which you can link via here http://cebooks.blogspot.com/2004_12_...62177684227069

Jorgen
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert