Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
biltron
Junior Member
biltron began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 11
Join Date: Jul 2008
Device: Iliad IRex, PRS 505
special characters in epub?

Hello,

I have created an epub file that contains some special characters that do not translate properly when viewed as an epub on Adobe Digital Editions. However, the underlying xhtml file, when viewed on a web browser or inside Dreamweaver, shows the proper characters. I'm using an OpenType font (Arno Pro) - and InDesign to prepare the doc and export it to epub. To the point, my question is this... does anybody know why special characters would be displayed correctly in xhtml but not when wrapped in epub? BTW the special characters show up as "?"

Thanks...
biltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
llasram's Avatar
 
Posts: 622
Karma: 400000
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: EST
Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by biltron View Post
I have created an epub file that contains some special characters that do not translate properly when viewed as an epub on Adobe Digital Editions. However, the underlying xhtml file, when viewed on a web browser or inside Dreamweaver, shows the proper characters. I'm using an OpenType font (Arno Pro) - and InDesign to prepare the doc and export it to epub. To the point, my question is this... does anybody know why special characters would be displayed correctly in xhtml but not when wrapped in epub? BTW the special characters show up as "?"
Adobe DE doesn't support the entirety of the Unicode standard. Not all characters lacking a direct character-to-glyph mapping (my pet peeve: the fixed-width spaces characters) are displayed correctly, the ones not understood by DE being replaced with the '?' mark you are seeing. The only current solution -- complain to Adobe and work around it if possible.

If you mention the specific characters in question here someone may be able to help you out.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
MickeyC's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,543
Karma: 6627712
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi biltron and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
biltron
Junior Member
biltron began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 3
Karma: 11
Join Date: Jul 2008
Device: Iliad IRex, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Adobe DE doesn't support the entirety of the Unicode standard. Not all characters lacking a direct character-to-glyph mapping (my pet peeve: the fixed-width spaces characters) are displayed correctly, the ones not understood by DE being replaced with the '?' mark you are seeing. The only current solution -- complain to Adobe and work around it if possible.

If you mention the specific characters in question here someone may be able to help you out.
Thanks for the response... The character I'm trying to use most often is an "a" with a line over the top of it... I don't know the proper name for it, but it is often used in transliteration of Farsi or Arabic names.
biltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:04 AM   #5
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
llasram's Avatar
 
Posts: 622
Karma: 400000
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: EST
Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by biltron View Post
Thanks for the response... The character I'm trying to use most often is an "a" with a line over the top of it... I don't know the proper name for it, but it is often used in transliteration of Farsi or Arabic names.
Oh! That's actually solvable -- in this case the problem is probably just that the font you are using doesn't include a glyph for that character. Your browser etc is able to pull a glyph from another font on the system, but DE can only draw from the set of default fonts and the fonts you embed in the EPUB book. Just embed a font containing the necessary character glyph and you should find that problem solved.

Last edited by llasram; 08-24-2008 at 02:06 AM.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
tkirke
Junior Member
tkirke began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 8
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jul 2008
Device: Sony
embedded font issue with ADE

Hi,
I tried embedding a font into the document that has all of the needed characters such as mentioned in this thread. However, although "Sigil" will render the embedded font correctly, Adobe Digital Editions will still not display all of the characters (using ? instead). I can tell it is using the embedded font as it looks correct. What am I missing here?
for example ī will not display correctly or ū or ā
What is even weirder is that ā may show up in table of contents correctly but not in main document
tkirke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
epub, special characters

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Content Special Characters in Collections bear4hunter Amazon Kindle 2 08-06-2010 07:11 PM
Epub and special characters again mtravellerh Calibre 3 01-04-2009 12:55 PM
REFERENCE: Special Characters nrapallo IMP 2 04-07-2008 01:29 PM
Special Characters / Fonts Gatton IMP 4 03-21-2008 01:43 AM
Special Characters in Plucker Eroica Reading and Management 4 11-15-2007 11:22 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.