Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 / Nexus 7 / Kindle PW
iRex iLiad goes Austria as "HixReader"

Austrian company HieBooks is going to present the iRex iLiad under the new name HixReader at the Buch Wien 08 fair this November. In December, Austrian bookstores are said to carry the HixReader along with commercial e-books that can be transferred upon purchase via USB connection. A customer portal for remote e-book purchases is planned at a later stage.

Apparently, HixBooks sees itself as a digital distributor, where publishers can securely upload their e-book content to a remote platform called HixLibrary; bookstores and booksellers then access HixLibrary to deliver the content to consumers.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
One wonders why. It's not as if creating another middle man will make the prices go down, and i'd say the iLiad is expensive enough already

Advertisement
Old 08-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
iRex has always positioned itself as a "Business to Business" vendor. They never wanted to be selling directly to the public in the first place.

I wonder if the new bookstore(s) will be accessible to previous iLiad owners?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I happen to live in Vienna, so I'm looking forward to report to you of this presentation stand in November.

I wonder if they will somehow manage to get an austrian newspaper on the iLiad, that would make my day. I woudln't be that picky on the newspaper as long its not "Kronen Zeitung" or "Österreich"... otherwise I'd go happy with either like "der Standard", "Kurier", "Wiener Zeitung" or "Salzburger Nachrichten".. Well thinking about it I'd likely also go with the swiss "Zürcher Nachrichten"..

Last edited by axel77; 08-22-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Something to watch out for is the availability of the developer package, which is needed to run 3rd party applications. It isn't available on the Chinese iLiad for example.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
talaivan
Zealot
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
HixReader is an obnoxious name in English -- as in hiccup, (country) hick -- I know people from continental Europe aren't sensitive to all the connotations and subtle meanings of English (UK and American English, in spite of European beliefs, tend to be identical), but at least they could ask someone who does speak the language natively.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
JackieFrost
Banned
JackieFrost began at the beginning.

Device: Plain old Laptop!
this is a reader aimed obviously at the hillbillies and rednecks, the hicks. Plenty of those in Austria, let's not forget also the Elizabeth Fritzl case where pretty much a whole city was a co-conspirator. To me Austria is quite plainly the dump of Europe. So, a fitting name for the ebook reader in Austria.

Last edited by JackieFrost; 08-23-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Please don't make offensive generalisations - that's nothing short of racism.

Thank you.

[Moderator]
Old 08-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
JackieFrost
Banned

Sorry Harry, I didn't mean it in an offensive way, of course it can be very well be taken as such, hence my apology.

Last edited by JackieFrost; 08-23-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
Thank you.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieFrost View Post
this is a reader aimed obviously at the hillbillies and rednecks, the hicks. Plenty of those in Austria, let's not forget also the Elizabeth Fritzl case where pretty much a whole city was a co-conspirator. To me Austria is quite plainly the dump of Europe. So, a fitting name for the ebook reader in Austria.
Are you serious?

I have never read so much superficial nonsense about a country in a single post.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I know people from continental Europe aren't sensitive to all the connotations and subtle meanings of English
Oh please, that's a gross generalisation. I've met native speakers of English who don't even know the differences between it's and its or then and than, but nevertheless, I would never assume that all native speakers are thus grammatically challenged.

Quote:
(UK and American English, in spite of European beliefs, tend to be identical)
Any linguist would strongly disagree with this statement. AmE and BrE are very similar, yes. But they're certainly not identical. There are differences in pronounciation, stress, vocabulary and grammar. Just think of things like football, chips, rubber ...
Old 08-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #13
JackieFrost
Banned

[Racist rant deleted by moderator]
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 AM   #14
JackieFrost
Banned

[Racist rant deleted by moderator]
Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #15
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Hmnnn...

So that is how a non-racist writes.

Let me ask, is there a difference between how some people act and how a group acts? Or is it that a few, a large few, act and that means the whole of that population is clearly the same?
Closed Thread