Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
coy
coy began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis
Oasis makes noise when turning page

Like coil noise as known maybe from some monitors, GPUs or generally laptops/computers.

Last edited by coy; 04-27-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo
coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Boy the Oasis is sounding better and better as every thread is posted!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Boy the Oasis is sounding better and better as every thread is posted!
Everything containing a transformer will make noise as the power draw changes, and unless everything in the Kindle accepts current at the same voltage (which is perfectly possible) it will contain at least one transformer, which will make flyback noise. This is completely normal (and, indeed, unavoidable, unless they find some new way of making transformers which does not involve magnetic coupling and induction, or make them out of some new material which does not move at all when stressed, or put the transformers in vacuum). It is certain that the Kindle charger will be making a noise when it is active: it definitely contains a transformer.

I don't have anywhere in the house quiet enough to hear any noise from my Oasis, for what it's worth -- but I don't live in the middle of nowhere, and I have things like fridges running in my house and making tiny increments of background noise, so it's possible I'm missing it.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
So it's perfectly possible you won't hear it unless you're reading in the dead of night in your bedroom or a similar setting?
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
So it's perfectly possible you won't hear it unless you're reading in the dead of night in your bedroom or a similar setting?
In the dead of night, with no lights on, in your bedroom, in the middle of nowhere miles from any traffic or significant habitation? (I'll be in just that situation in a few months and will listen out. It's dead quiet there... or at least it is until the sodding temporally-impaired cockerel starts crowing at about 3am.)
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
coy
coy began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis
Quote:
The noise is louder the more text has to be rendered, and especially the smaller the chosen font is. I heard it with silence in the house/city, sure you hear it at a night's read in bed. I had a lot of readers/Kindles, never got this before. I know coil noise from an old laptop and hires monitor.
coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

That sure won't help their marketing spiel about making the e-reader disappear.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Depends whether each reader needs buttons more than quiet. Aging hands which really want the buttons back, may not care about the slight noise. I suppose that's why there is still a whole line-up of kindles to choose from.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
newkindlefun
Connoisseur

Oh, I get that. As a reader I might not care enough about the noise to be distracted by it, or if I care, maybe I need the buttons more, as you said. But it IS a point against their completely distraction-free, complete reader immersion thing. Whether it's enough to put off people is another story.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Doesn't turning a page in a paper book make a noise? (Though it's a different noise.)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
newkindlefun
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Doesn't turning a page in a paper book make a noise? (Though it's a different noise.)
Obviously, yeah. And holding a pbook is definitely noticeable. But they have this whole spiel about making the ereader superextrathin, superextralight and superextrainvisible for "reader immersion". I'm not saying I'm complaining about the noise myself, just that it goes against their philosophy of making the device disappear.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Oh, I get that. As a reader I might not care enough about the noise to be distracted by it, or if I care, maybe I need the buttons more, as you said. But it IS a point against their completely distraction-free, complete reader immersion thing. Whether it's enough to put off people is another story.
I will say that on mine, it does make the noise, but I have to put my ear up to it in order to hear it, even when things are silent. If it is louder than that, there is either variance in manufacturing, or possibly even a defect. Honestly, I wouldn't have even known that it was a thing without this thread.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #13
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
For what it's worth, I can hear my Kindle Touch when I turn the page, but only in extremely quiet settings.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I can hear my Kindle Touch too.

Of course that requires pressing it to my ear while clicking things, which is hardly likely to be a distracting problem in practice...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Wear earplugs.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote