Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 AM   #856
papa54
papa54 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Jeff--First of all thanks very much for posting this!!
I tried this Guide, but the Vera Fonts were not good for Hungarian Character.
I did everything as instructed, but with Free Serif Fonts.
Can this Problem bee solved with PRS+?
Thanks again!
papa54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 AM   #857
Ronzzz
Ronzzz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
PRS 505 customizer

Well, I finally decided to try the customizer. Now, I am stuck on "firmware update did not complete." I cant reset! I cant even turn my PRS 505 off! I guess the battery will eventually die!!! Any hope???
Ronzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #858
JeffElkins
PRSCustomizer
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS 505 Blue/iPod Touch/Epic 4G/Nook Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa54 View Post
Jeff--First of all thanks very much for posting this!!
I tried this Guide, but the Vera Fonts were not good for Hungarian Character.
I did everything as instructed, but with Free Serif Fonts.
Can this Problem bee solved with PRS+?
Thanks again!
I'm sorry, I'm not knowledgeable about fonts. Try Valloric's thread.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #859
JeffElkins
PRSCustomizer
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzzz View Post
Well, I finally decided to try the customizer. Now, I am stuck on "firmware update did not complete." I cant reset! I cant even turn my PRS 505 off! I guess the battery will eventually die!!! Any hope???
Search this thread for a link to the Sony Firmware Updater. That should restore your Reader.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #860
Ronzzz

Nothing works. Reset does nothing. Can not reboot! When I first flashed, the reset at least worked. Now, I am toast!! My first fears have come true!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #861
JeffElkins
PRSCustomizer

Quote:
Nothing works. Reset does nothing. Can not reboot! When I first flashed, the reset at least worked. Now, I am toast!! My first fears have come true!!!
The PRS505 is very hard to brick. Like I said, try the Sony Updater, read the section in the Mobileread WIKI on unbricking the device, search this thread for 'brick'.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #862
Ronzzz

Dont know how, but it finally rebooted! I quickly hooked up the USB. Now, the reader sez: Updating firmware now Maybe it takes longer than I imagine!!! Hmmm, I think I will leave it for a while; maybe it takes hours. . . . . Oh yeah, my computer sees the reader, but "error" displays where I normally see the reader!!!! Doesn't look good!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #863
Ronzzz

Old 07-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #864
Ronzzz

I am very to report that my reader is now alive. I downloaded firmware from Sony. So, at least, the gloom is gone. Still, I wish the customizer would have worked!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #865
JeffElkins
PRSCustomizer

Quote:
I am very to report that my reader is now alive. I downloaded firmware from Sony. So, at least, the gloom is gone. Still, I wish the customizer would have worked!!!!!!
Sorry you had problems.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #866
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Customizer works fine but most all of the features and a whole lot more have been incorporated into PRS+ and it works great, the forum is here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #867
Ragzilla
Ragzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
The same thing just happened to me. I managed to turn it off, then I plugged it into my computer. Now I am getting a "updating firmware now".

Does anyone know how long this takes? Or if it is even doing anything?
Ragzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #868
JeffElkins
PRSCustomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragzilla View Post
The same thing just happened to me. I managed to turn it off, then I plugged it into my computer. Now I am getting a "updating firmware now".

Does anyone know how long this takes? Or if it is even doing anything?
Less than 5 or 6 minutes. If you're stuck, I'd reflash with the Sony Updater and try again.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #869
Ragzilla
Ragzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
thanks for your prompt reply.
Does it matter which firmware I install? I see that a V1.8 is available. Can I use this one?

Do I install it the same way as Customizer? Put contents of file on blank SD card and install in reader?
Ragzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #870
JeffElkins
PRSCustomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragzilla View Post
thanks for your prompt reply.
Does it matter which firmware I install? I see that a V1.8 is available. Can I use this one?

Do I install it the same way as Customizer? Put contents of file on blank SD card and install in reader?
Try this one:

http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...%20Special.exe

Assuming you're running Windows, download it and run it from your desktop. If you're using Mac or Linux, VMware works.