Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #46
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog29 View Post
*ahem* I feel quite stupid now :P
It's there exactly as it should be...

However at least I have a kind of excuse... I'd assumed it did something like this

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...8&d=1217425473 From https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=21
Because it did not make sense to me for the info to be hidden a few menus deep where its only useful for proving ownership I had thought it was like that so its identifiable if found by a kind soul
On that topic, would it perchance be possible to automatically write text like in the screenshot?
Or integrate some way for a custom theme to be done in this auto installer, or just tell me how

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion,
Frog29
No problem. Placing the ID on the About screen is the only way I've come up with via the XML files to easily personalize the reader. The hack you're talking about (and it's a nice one) involves hand-editing the kBookAssets.png file with a graphics editor (gimp,photoshop,etc). It's easy enough to do by hand, but I haven't investigated doing it automatically via a program.

But my initial post did say: "Personalized About Screen"

Last edited by JeffElkins; 08-07-2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: clairification
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #47
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
JeffElkins, look at this variation of icons to give the prscustomizer:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=57
Your changes look pretty spiffy -- Are you done?
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 02:54 AM   #48
Frog29
Frog29 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ok, So if I were to edit the kBookAssets.png from this post this post And make sure to save it transparently and interlaced in files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\scripts And then run your program again and Modify my options and Info for the about screen, Would it work? (and is the resolution for the logo really only 210x70 or can i extend it across the whole top of the screen?)

Also How would I go about reflashing my Sony, or rather whats the best way to do it?

Frog29
Frog29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:07 AM   #49
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog29 View Post
Ok, So if I were to edit the kBookAssets.png from this post this post And make sure to save it transparently and interlaced in files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\scripts And then run your program again and Modify my options and Info for the about screen, Would it work? (and is the resolution for the logo really only 210x70 or can i extend it across the whole top of the screen?)

Also How would I go about reflashing my Sony, or rather whats the best way to do it?

Frog29
I first dropped the customizer zip into my sd card, then unzipped to the root card. Then I ran the customizer, then swapped in my own edited icon and background pngs. After that you plug in the sd card and flash like normal. It all worked for me.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #50
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewastaken View Post
I first dropped the customizer zip into my sd card, then unzipped to the root card. Then I ran the customizer, then swapped in my own edited icon and background pngs. After that you plug in the sd card and flash like normal. It all worked for me.
Same here. I did the customization graphic separately, then pasted it into kBookAssets.png - I found that to be easier. I've attached one to this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kath.png
Views:	792
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	15016  

Last edited by JeffElkins; 08-07-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Same here. I did the customization graphic separately, then pasted it into kBookAssets.png - I found that to be easier. I've attached one to this post.
There's no attachment to that post.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #52
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's no attachment to that post.
There is now

Teach me to post before coffee
Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is now

Teach me to post before coffee
Is a line all it's supposed to be?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #54
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is a line all it's supposed to be?
Think if it as a 210x70 template. Drop a black background on it and fill in your details.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Think if it as a 210x70 template. Drop a black background on it and fill in your details.
Might be best to ZIP it and include a readme type file for what to do with it. Then replace the attachment. As it is, I think it'll confuse a lot of people.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #56
Frog29
Frog29 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you for all your help!
I've flashed my Sony with the new image and it worked perfectly!
A quick note though... the logo dimensions should really be 210X68 since there is a 2 pixel gradient at the bottom of that area
Whenever i get internet again I'll make a topic on how to do this to help others

Thanks,
Frog29
Frog29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #57
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
New version: prscust.01.zip

...Discover a new hack? Please let me know so I can consider it for
inclusion in PRScustomizer!
Porkupan has implemented the translation of the menus into FR, DE, ES and Polish, I think. Could you merge it?

The link is here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27371
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #58
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Your changes look pretty spiffy -- Are you done?
my reader
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC09261.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	15025  
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #59
EssKayEss
EssKayEss began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your simple PRSCustomizer, makes things so much easier.

Thanks also to Igorsk for the original hardwork it getting the hacks to work in the first place.

This is my customized PRS 505.

I have modified your original 210x70 template to include the gradient at the bottom and colored it with a black background. So all that is needed is to create your customized logo over this template and drop it over kBookAssets.png once done. This will merge seamlessly over the original.

Also attaching 3 versions of icons which have been released on this board so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kBookAssets-logo-space.png
Views:	684
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	15026   Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookAssets.png
Views:	735
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	15027   Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookIcon-v2.png
Views:	724
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	15028   Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookIcon-v3.png
Views:	663
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	15029   Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookIcon-v4.png
Views:	674
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	15030  

Last edited by EssKayEss; 08-07-2008 at 03:53 PM.
EssKayEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #60
higgs
Connoisseur
higgs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicing

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW3
Quote:
New version: prscust.01.zip

PRSCustomizer is a simple program for the Sony PRS-505 Reader
which provides:

Clock
Uniform fonts (optional)
New icons (optional)
One-key shutdown (hold enter key, optional)
Joystick page forward (optional)
Personalized About Screen
Thanks Jeff, I just got my 505 yesterday, I've now updated the firmware and reflashed it. Love the clock, icons and joystick hacks.

higgs is offline   Reply With Quote