Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #106
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
astra's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,308
Karma: 1000077497
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
They both seem, IMO, to want to force you into their store for ebooks (Amazon somewhat moreso than Sony). They both "created" a new format, peculiar to their own reader. Yes they both do alow some other format capability but I have to side with Jon on this. Again IMO the reader should attempt to force the ebooks into some particular format. If all readers were able to read all formats then we could select readers solely on the merits of the reader. As it now stands, anyone purchasing a reader must tak into account the availability of ebooks in a readable or at least a convertable format (for that reader).

It is obvious to me that both Sony and Amazon want to tie you to their reader for exclusivity. This comes at the cost of the authors, publishers, and readers.

This is why I eventually went to the Hanlin V3 family with OpenInkPot firmware.

This contest between Sony & Amazon (other players are mostly on the sidelines) is different from the video tape contest (Betamax vs. VHS). With the video tapes there was a physical (i.e. hardware) difference between the VCR. All of the eink reader hardware are capable (with the right firmware) to read any of the ebook formats.
Not applicable to Sony since July 2008.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #107
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,106
Karma: 7067396
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern California
Device: Kindle PW, PRS-650, iPhone 4, iPad 4
Sony has too much history of giving up when it doesn't win. And I think the K2 addressed enough concerns while the new Sony 700 didn't, at least to me. So although I own a Sony I have to go with Amazon, looking down the road.

Don't get me wrong. We love our two Sony 505's but I'm just predicting the future.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #108
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 5,113
Karma: 72193
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South of the Border
Device: Coffin
I just hope that whoever wins keeps hold of the .epub format and doesn't wall up the garden with DRM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 AM   #109
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about
 
tech_au's Avatar
 
Posts: 517
Karma: 4056
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
As this is rapidly turning into an Amazon versus the rest of the world battle following announcements of Bookeen(makers of the Cybook currently supporting mobi format)who will be supporting epub and Plastic logic supporting epub and Sony supporting epub I think Amazon will either have to support epub or DIE !!!! Just joking. But it does look like Amazon in the US with Sony and Cybook in the rest of the world
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #110
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Harmon's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,605
Karma: 5927225
Join Date: Feb 2009
Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Well, I have a 505 and a mac, yet. So I just spent the evening at my neighbor's place, using his pc to get my 505 authorized for Adobe DE. Not a pleasant task - he's running some ancient version of windows and things kept crashing or not even booting up. But eventually I got my 505 authorized, and figured out that on my mac, in order to read ADEs, I have to download them into the Digital Editions program, which evidently converts the books to something that my authorized 505 will read if I drag them to the device. Very kludgy. But I do like the 505 and it gives me the latitude to read things that would be difficult if not impossible to get on the Kindle.

But the Kindle is going to win out in the States, and anywhere else it is sold, and here's the reason: my neighbor is interested in maybe getting an eBook reader, but he's not going to screw around with the Sony Library, or Digital Editions. What he wants is a simple purchasing experience. He will get that with Amazon & the Kindle, because all he has to do is go on Amazon, buy the book & whammo! it's on his Kindle. In fact, he doesn't even need a computer to buy books, once he has the Kindle and an Amazon account. He will not get that experience on the Sony.

Sony is a stick shift. Kindle is an automatic. So...a stick is more fun to drive, IMHO, but you don't see a whole lot of them around.

I think that there are many more people like my neighbor who will be willing to buy a Kindle because of the no-brainer way getting books on it works.

Last edited by Harmon; 02-24-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: clarify which computer being used to get ADE files on the 505
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #111
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
rhadin's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,177
Karma: 15413180
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The World of Books
Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
As this is rapidly turning into an Amazon versus the rest of the world battle following announcements of Bookeen(makers of the Cybook currently supporting mobi format)who will be supporting epub and Plastic logic supporting epub and Sony supporting epub I think Amazon will either have to support epub or DIE !!!!
Tim O'Reilly of O'Reilly Press predicts in a Forbes article that the Kindle will die in 2-3 years unless it opens its format.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #112
ssaxt0
Member
ssaxt0 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 10
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Antioch, CA in East Bay Area.
Device: Sony 505
Someone said that people would pitch their favorite and I guess that would be the case but I did not buy my reader because of this but because it was more practical for me. The Kindle is limited to books on Amazon's website and I did not want to be limited by their proprietary format. I wanted to be able to shop around and get better pricing if it was available. I selected the Sony 505 because it granted me this flexibility because I can but from anyone with pdf format. I have purchased from Diesel, SimonSays and eBooks and been able to save some money doing this and when I have compared those prices to Kindle, they were better. The Readers are expensive enough for you to be limited and pay more for the books you love to read.

Now, I do like the wireless capability on Kindle but it is an inconvenience I can live with.
ssaxt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #113
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 5,113
Karma: 72193
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South of the Border
Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Well, I have a 505 and a mac, yet. So I just spent the evening at my neighbor's place, using his pc to get my 505 authorized for Adobe DE. Not a pleasant task - he's running some ancient version of windows and things kept crashing or not even booting up. But eventually I got my 505 authorized, and figured out that on my mac, in order to read ADEs, I have to download them into the Digital Editions program, which evidently converts the books to something that my authorized 505 will read if I drag them to the device. Very kludgy. But I do like the 505 and it gives me the latitude to read things that would be difficult if not impossible to get on the Kindle.

But the Kindle is going to win out in the States, and anywhere else it is sold, and here's the reason: my neighbor is interested in maybe getting an eBook reader, but he's not going to screw around with the Sony Library, or Digital Editions. What he wants is a simple purchasing experience. He will get that with Amazon & the Kindle, because all he has to do is go on Amazon, buy the book & whammo! it's on his Kindle. In fact, he doesn't even need a computer to buy books, once he has the Kindle and an Amazon account. He will not get that experience on the Sony.

Sony is a stick shift. Kindle is an automatic. So...a stick is more fun to drive, IMHO, but you don't see a whole lot of them around.

I think that there are many more people like my neighbor who will be willing to buy a Kindle because of the no-brainer way getting books on it works.

This is the dilemma I'm facing at the moment as a Mac owner and looking at buying my first ereader. I really want to buy the Sony, but without the proper support I feel like I'll be running around in circles to get the best use out of it. The Kindle is out of the picture also as I'm a UK resident. I'm half thinking of buying an ipod touch and using that until the Txtr is released (the video of it is very impressive, I just hope it's got Mac support).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #114
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.
 
Posts: 255
Karma: 144599
Join Date: Jan 2008
Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Ok I did not read the whole thread but why does one ebook reader have to "win out" why wouldn't there be many different models from many different makers?
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #115
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pilotbob's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,600
Karma: 11337367
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL USA
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
This is the dilemma I'm facing at the moment as a Mac owner and looking at buying my first ereader. I really want to buy the Sony, but without the proper support I feel like I'll be running around in circles to get the best use out of it.
The Txtr looks cool. have you not considered the CyBook or BeBook. Both useable with a Mac.

Of course, if you are willing to learn to liberate (dedrm) mobipocket then getting content for the Sony is perfectly easy on the Mac.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #116
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Ervserver's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,625
Karma: 1008294
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Iowa, USA
Device: Nook Simple Touch
I think the Apple iReader will win out, not because its the best but because its Apple
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #117
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pilotbob's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,600
Karma: 11337367
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL USA
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I think the Apple iReader will win out, not because its the best but because its Apple
Well... it's hard for a product that doesn't exst to win.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #118
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 5,113
Karma: 72193
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South of the Border
Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Txtr looks cool. have you not considered the CyBook or BeBook. Both useable with a Mac.

Of course, if you are willing to learn to liberate (dedrm) mobipocket then getting content for the Sony is perfectly easy on the Mac.

BOb
I've been looking at the BeBook more thoroughly, but after seeing the Txtr video I think I can hold out a few more months and get my library in order for when it's released. Plus, I'll have a bit more spare cash in a few months of saving to splash out on the Txtr (here's hoping it's good).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #119
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pilotbob's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,600
Karma: 11337367
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL USA
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I've been looking at the BeBook more thoroughly, but after seeing the Txtr video I think I can hold out a few more months and get my library in order for when it's released. Plus, I'll have a bit more spare cash in a few months of saving to splash out on the Txtr (here's hoping it's good).
What you mean all Mac owners are swimming in cash? Hell you say!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #120
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.
 
Posts: 5,113
Karma: 72193
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South of the Border
Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What you mean all Mac owners are swimming in cash? Hell you say!

BOb
I wish! Problem with Macs is they're so damn addicting, and then you wake up one morning and find your pockets as empty as Paris Hilton's mind
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
duck!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony thinks quality will win out (for them) davidspitzer News 171 08-20-2010 09:26 AM
Win Vista to Win 7 Upgrade messed up Calibre Amy44 Calibre 2 06-01-2010 10:12 PM
Sony Reader Library & Win 7 snlu178 Sony Reader 16 02-09-2010 05:28 PM
Sony vows to win e-reader war. sibelhodge News 34 12-20-2009 11:34 AM
"CONNECT Reader by Sony.msi" doesn´t install under win 2003 joblack Sony Reader 24 01-02-2008 05:29 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.