Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old Today, 12:53 PM   #1
BenG
Innsmouth Swim Team
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager, iPhone 6
Cataract surgery and monovision

I had cataract surgery on my right eye Tuesday with the left eye scheduled for next Tuesday. Before then I have to decide if I want both eyes focused for distance vision or have one eye for distance and one for reading. If you've had to make that decision, I would like to hear your experiences.

Also people with contact lenses that are focused differently are welcome to chime in.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Galaxy SIII; Xoom; Kindle Fire
Oh my! vision issues is one of my biggest fears. my eyes are slightly mismatched for close/reading, but still pretty okay at distance.

I'm feeling for you and wishing you the best of luck with it all!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:29 PM   #3
BenG
Innsmouth Swim Team
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyager, iPhone 6
I'm paying extra for the toric lenses that correct for astigmatism. So hopefully my vision will be pretty good after everything is done. I did have a posterior subcapsule opacity in the right eye, which means the the membrane that holds the lens in place is cloudy. I'll have to get that fixed after the eye heals from the surgery. It can be done in the doctor's office in a couple of minutes and involves a laser punching a hole in back of the membrane where the light comes through.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
I recently (November) had cataract surgery in my right eye, I'm not eligible for the monovision technique as I lost central vision in my left eye several years ago from AMD, so I opted for a very expensive lens called Crystalens by Bausch and Lomb (they also have a version for astigmatism called TRULIGN). The Crystalens is referred to as being "accommodating" which means that it has a little hinge inside that changes the focal length based on the tension of my ciliary muscle to provide correction at near, intermediate and far distances.

That's all very good in theory, but in practice it works pretty well at far and intermediate distances, but not so much at near distance. I now need to use reading glasses but not distance or computer glasses. Don't get me wrong, from reading all the reviews and patient surveys that’s pretty much what I expected and is a vast improvement from being absolutely depended on spectacles for the past sixty years.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:49 PM   #5
Strether
Evangelist
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, 3, PW2, Voyage, Kindle 7" HD Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I had cataract surgery on my right eye Tuesday with the left eye scheduled for next Tuesday. Before then I have to decide if I want both eyes focused for distance vision or have one eye for distance and one for reading. If you've had to make that decision, I would like to hear your experiences.

Also people with contact lenses that are focused differently are welcome to chime in.
I don't need cataract surgery quite yet, but it's getting close. I'd be interested in hearing what you decide, Ben, and how it worked out.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Having been nearsighted by nature and far sighted by Scientific/medical help, I gotta tell you, never Pick nearsighted even if it's only for one eye. Near sighted can kill you. Not so much the other way around
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:15 PM   #7
cromag
Surfing the alpha waves ~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Jetbook Mini, Netbook, and two Androids
Based on my experience with conventional glasses vs. progressive lenses, I'd go for far-sighted. I was used to wearing reading glasses for reading, so I just keep it up. I suspect the compromise is fine for many people, but if you do a lot of reading you'll know you're compromising.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:49 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Monovision

"Monovision is the method of using one eye for distance vision and the other eye for near vision. Contact lenses, refractive surgery, and intraocular lenses are all methods used for monovision. When a patient chooses monovision, the dominant eye, or the one that would be used to focus on a camera, becomes the distance eye and the other eye is focused for close vision."

"The monovision method works because the brain learns to adapt to which eye sees at which distance. This method is also a form of a concept known as simultaneous vision. There is usually an adjustment period in adapting to this method of vision. Most patients find they are able to adjust. Because surgery is a permanent solution, doctors advise that patients try monovision contact lenses first."

"Disadvantages of monovision include a lack of visual sharpness. Persons who require very sharp vision due to a hobby or occupation may not be pleased with monovision results. Another drawback of monovision is that some patients experience decreased depth perception or blurred vision in the eye that focuses on near vision in certain situations."
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:23 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
That would kill me. I will continue to shoot, in theory ski and many other things. it's not that much of a hassle to t
Take glasses off
Old Today, 08:27 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have astigmatism in both eyes and slight cataract though not to the degree that I need the surgery yet. My mom had it done on both eyes (at different times) and hasn't had much trouble. Dry eyes now and then but she had that already I think. I had no idea they had lenses that could correct for astigmatism. Interesting. I'll have to remember that when I need to get it done. Hopefully it won't be any time soon. I'm only 44.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:35 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Astigmatism makes you a perfect candidate for laser surgery