Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
leitz
Connoisseur
leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
ePub: one page vs 2 page

Some ePubs displayed in a one-page view while others displayed in a two-page view (the default view, nothing to do with software controlled double page view).

Which version (one-page or two-page view) is better? Why are some ePubs in one-page view while some are in two-page view?

For the same book that comes in a one-page view and a two-page view, which version should I buy?

Example of one-page view ePub:

Example of two-page view ePub:

leitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
My opinion only:
  • Some people feel that reading across the entire width of a screen (e.g., a computer monitor, not necessarily a tablet screen) to be distracting.
  • If I remember correctly, there have been studies done on the optimum width of a block of text for readability and comprehension - something to do with how much of a sentence your eyes can "grab" with a single glance, instead of having to move your eyes back and forth across the page. The same logic is/was used by newspapers - breaking up the page into columns to make the information easier to follow/digest.
  • Some people think the 2-column layout is more like reading a physical book - and they prefer that resemblance (I assume these are the same people who like to see a page flip when they turn the page, too)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I find that 1 column books often display in two columns in landscape mode, depending on the font size and ebook reader capabilities. I really like this feature. In portrait mode it would depend a lot on the size of the reader but for 6" or smaller devices I would want 1 column for portrait mode. Larger devices may work well in 2 column mode but what happens if you increase the text size?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
leitz
Connoisseur
leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting feedback!

It seems to me books of the 2-page layout are mostly "scan pages" (they looked scanned), particularly the inside cover page, publisher info page, table of contents etc. Because they looked scanned, some seems to look bad such that the scan was done badly. These 2-page view books often closely resemble an actual book.

The 1-page view books on the other hand looked professionally done, good examples would be the Kindle books, all of those I owned are 1-page view books. These 1-page view books are custom "printed" so they won't look like the actual book.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:39 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitz View Post
Why are some ePubs in one-page view while some are in two-page view?
Is this with ADE? What happens if you resize the window and make it narrower (for the 2-column) or wider (for the 1-column)?

ADE recognizes an additional "page template" file, that can change the layout and margins dynamically depending on the screen/window size. Maybe the your 2-column book has it (and 2-column layout is kicking in) and your 1-column one doesn't. I believe that ADE has some default "two columns if wide" logic anyway, so perhaps the 1-column book actually has a template file to override this and the 2-column one doesn't.

Quote:
For the same book that comes in a one-page view and a two-page view, which version should I buy?
If it's fixed 2 columns, I'd choose the 1-column version, easier to process. If it's a dynamic layout, the one you like best.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leitz View Post
Since the two page view is most likely controlled by a default template.xpgt file embedded in the epub, which you can easily delete, it doesn't really matter.

There's even a Calibre plugin for removing it, Modify ePub.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
leitz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Is this with ADE? What happens if you resize the window and make it narrower (for the 2-column) or wider (for the 1-column)?

ADE recognizes an additional "page template" file, that can change the layout and margins dynamically depending on the screen/window size. Maybe the your 2-column book has it (and 2-column layout is kicking in) and your 1-column one doesn't. I believe that ADE has some default "two columns if wide" logic anyway, so perhaps the 1-column book actually has a template file to override this and the 2-column one doesn't.

If it's fixed 2 columns, I'd choose the 1-column version, easier to process. If it's a dynamic layout, the one you like best.
Yes, this is the ADE. And yes, if I resize the window to a smaller size, it will change to 1-page view when there is no space to display 2 pages.

It will show as 1-page view on Moon+ Reader. The screen on the device is not large enough to test 2-page view of the ePub on Moon+Reader.

I like the 1-page view better and also because it does not look like a "scanned" copy.

Ps: Doitsu has the explanation for this, see his reply and mine below
Old 07-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
leitz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Since the two page view is most likely controlled by a default template.xpgt file embedded in the epub, which you can easily delete, it doesn't really matter.

There's even a Calibre plugin for removing it, Modify ePub.
You are right! I went in the ePub and deleted page-template.xpgt. That removes the 2-page view when I open the ePub in ADE.

Thank you, I can convert the 2-page view books I have into 1-page view book.