Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-04-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Automating without Whispernet

Okay... so I'm in the middle of moving to the edge of the town where I live. Maps show I'm covered by Sprint's 3g network, but that' bull. I can get the dreaded "1x" connection on my Kindle but it more or less refuses to connect.

This kind of takes the joy out of getting up and reading the paper on my device instantly. Now, having worked at Sprint, I know that there isn't jack I can do for my coverage. And at some point in my day I'll head to the office where I can get a connection. And I can, of course, go the Amazon website and download it and then attach it to my computer and place it in the proper place. But I really don't want to do that.

So here's my question... is there anyway to automate the process? I'm on a Mac (OS X.5). And I'm not proficient in Applescript or anything else along those lines, so please keep that in mind in the answers. I'm willing to do some work, but I don't have time to learn to program (I am in the middle of moving, after all ).

Ideally, I'd like to attach my Kindle when I go to bed and then at a certain time my computer will logon to the Amazon site, head to the right page, hit the link for the new version and then move it to the Kindle.

Now, I realize I'm really shooting here. I can set things up to move files already on my computer, but I have no idea how to automate something like this. Any (detailed) help would be greatly appreciated.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There isn't anything you can do unfortunately. You can't get a decent Sprint signal and without programming or someone else programming for you, it's a manual process from within your home.

The only thing I can suggest you do is take your Kindle and go to every place in your new home and see if you can manage to get a decent enough signal. Even if you have to go into some corner in the attic. Don't leave any space untested. When we lived in our last rental we were in a big Sprint dead zone. The ony way to get a signal of any kind was to put the phone on the windowsill. And even then it was iffy. But sometimes it worked. (poorly).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

I'm sorry, I think I phrased it wrong.... what I meant was a process on my computer whereby having the Kindle connected to it a script would fire and download it from the computer and then place it on the Kindle.

But yeah... I did a quick run through yesterday, I'm going to do the slow "step by step" after the move is complete and hope a lot. Alas, I really wish Amazon had gone with wifi instead of the Whispernet.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I'm sorry, I think I phrased it wrong.... what I meant was a process on my computer whereby having the Kindle connected to it a script would fire and download it from the computer and then place it on the Kindle.
It certainly could be done. I wonder if Amazon has an API that allows you to download books from them.

I'm also a new Mac user but I am a programmer. Have you tried to use that Automator thing?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
dre95060
dre95060 doesn't litterdre95060 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Now, having worked at Sprint, I know that there isn't jack I can do for my coverage.
My experience as a customer also. That's why I'm with Verizon now.

Dave E

Last edited by dre95060; 07-04-2008 at 01:34 PM.
dre95060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

While I worked at Sprint I actually switched to Cingular... and that was WITH a discount. Evil. Evil. Evil.

Which is not to say Cingular/AT&T is a ray of sunshine, but I've not had any complaints in about 3 years.
----
I don't think Automator would work for this task. The problem is you have to sign in to the site, and then select a proper link from a drop down menu... I wouldn't know where to begin with Applescript though.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Don't move?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It certainly could be done. I wonder if Amazon has an API that allows you to download books from them.

I'm also a new Mac user but I am a programmer. Have you tried to use that Automator thing?

BOb
The problem with Automator is that it can handle Long repetitive task easily,i.e. open and run application, Renaming Files etc but Login and passwords not so much i will do some monkeying and see what I can find. I am sure it is possible because you can have it open Safari and open Radio broadcasts. In the meantime poke around here

http://www.tuaw.com/tag/Automator/

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-05-2008 at 08:59 AM.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Can't really help you with Amazon, but it should be fairly easy to automatically download RSS feeds in Mobipocket from Feedbooks and sync them to your Kindle.

Not exactly a replacement, but it's another way to get your news every morning.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Gideon,
Since I dont have a kindle, I dont exactly know the steps required to update the Newspapers, Can you point me to something else that is exactly the same process? Dont do RSS because that is its own function in automator. if you want open automator chose custom/internet/Run Web service that should get you started.

JJ
Old 07-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Ok this is what I have worked out so far, Open Automator, Chose custom/internet/run Web service. Now click the record button in the top right corner, It will probably tell you that this function only works with Enable access for assistive devices turned on, Either navigate to System preferences and enable it or just select open system preferences for me from the message window. Now all you have to do is go thru your normal steps to log in and download your subscriptions and Automator will record every step. THe only thing I am working on right now is how to set it up for a specific time, Unless you just want to Run if first thing when you get up and Grab your Kindle before you walk out the door? I will get back to you when I finish the whole thing.

JJ
Old 07-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!

Sorry must have double clicked or something

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-05-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Duplicate!! Stupid Internet