|07-02-2008, 04:21 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jul 2008
Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
PRS Fonts, PDF gray && Calibre
I'm new Sony Reader PRS 505 user. First, I was very amused by it but now I'm starting to loose my illusions. So maybe someone can help me.
1) each PDF I upload to reader is rescaled, so even when i choose proper format 3,.. x 6,.. inchess and pick right size of font, when pdf is displayed, the text quality (due to aliasing) is very poor when comparing to text from lrf file. why(1x)? and there's more. Each pdf has slight gray background. I've found note I can be done nothing against it. Why(2x) ? That is some silly joke made by Sony Programmers. Now I understand why(4x) reader loads pdfs and switch pages so slowly - thats becouse 90% of pdf loading time is spent in generating artificial gray background.
2) That leads to convering books from other formats to lrf. Hmm, seems to be very bad idea. Why ? (3x) Becouse I'm czech and my native character set is Central European. Ok. I started with same book in DOC,RTF,TXT,TXT-8UTF,PDF and HTML format and used Book Designer 4.0 with update to make lrf. Ok, I loaded book, tried export to lrf, all fine, but when I choose additional font to embed to lrf file, Sony reader hungs when formatting file (formatting forever and strange articats are shown on screen). When I try to view this file in Calibre View - everything is fine. Hmmm - why (5x) ? I tried filLrf util, no error found.
3) ok this leads to Calibre. Now I put aside the fact, that calibre 0.4.73 and 0.4.76 removes in TXT,TXTUTF8,RTF,HTML all paragraphs (autor: i can upload test files to see yourself), but major thing is that, when I add serif,mono... fonts for example as "Arial", convert is done file, viewer shows file ok (text is in arial), file is bigger - thats ok, but Sony Reader shows text in internal fonts. Why (6x) ? I used GUI version, command line utils, nothing helped. I have to be doing something wrong. Emh, 10 options, none works ? Why (7x) ?
Please, help me in one of 3 points
- proper format of PDF which is not changed in any way, and just displayed on screen
- run BookDesigner export properly - maybe sample
- run Calibre properly - maybe command line
This leaves me only choice: change fonts in Sony Reader, but my SD is unavailable now, so it must wait for now.
Thanks in advance
P.S. sorry for my english
P.S.S. if post is in wrong section, sorry
P.S.S.S i can post source books if needed
|11-22-2008, 02:50 PM||#2|
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Miami FL
Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
MODERATORS: Suggestion to remove this post (double post with http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+Book+designer)
|bookdesigner, calibre, failed, font|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Help: Tips & Tutorials on how to debind, seperate pages & scan a hardback book to PDF||thebigalphamale||Workshop||4||04-17-2010 01:41 PM|
|PDF & PRS-300||St0nE||Sony Reader||1||10-19-2009 10:17 PM|
|PDF & TOC on Calibre||thibaulthalpern||Calibre||3||04-18-2009 03:45 PM|
|Ended Dooney & Bourke - LIMITED EDITION CROC SKIN - + & PRS 500U2DB $255- Offers welcome||JRAWKER||Flea Market||16||02-09-2009 01:08 PM|
|PRS Fonts, PDF gray && Calibre||Hranostak||Sony Reader||5||11-24-2008 11:50 AM|