Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
diana.stout
diana.stout began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Help a newbie with content managment?

I recently purchased a Sony 505. I originally was using the software that came with it, but when I started really downloading stuff - I was trying a couple different converters and found Calibre. I'm pretty pleased with it (though I'm having trouble with the Author names...)
Anyhow... what are the best tips and tricks? There are so many different threads and things and I can't read them all - it is overwhelming.

My big question is this -- I would like to be able to create a list of all the books I have... all the books I want to get ... etc. Is there a way to do this without actually hand typing it all?

Also, I'd like to create it in excel - but then I couldn't keep the updated file on the reader (it doesn't read excel, right?) - I download at home and at work both.

So what does everyone do for a "have/need" list?

Thanks in advance

Diana
diana.stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome! I don't have an answer, because I've been fiddling with trying to organize things on my reader. I'll be interested to see what suggestions are posted.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I have a similar issue keeping track of ebooks. Finally decided to create a manual entry Excel spreadsheet. It currently has 5 tabs to track what's on the Reader, 2 SD cards, my wishlist, and books I've read and subsequently deleted from the Reader. I even track the publisher or website where the download originated, genre, and whether I liked the book. I try not to download books at work (intentionally leave the SD cards and USB cable at home) so I don't have to worry about maintaining an accurate list in multiple locations.

Many of the books I read are part of a series. After finishing a book and realizing I didn't know which one was next in the series, I started keeping a simple document on the Reader that lists the series order.

This manual system works for me, because I kinda like doing the document maintenance. Weird...I know. It reminds me that I've already downloaded more books than I can read in a year.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by diana.stout View Post
My big question is this -- I would like to be able to create a list of all the books I have... all the books I want to get ... etc. Is there a way to do this without actually hand typing it all?

Diana
Hi Diana,

With the above, do you mean eBooks... or do you mean pbooks too? If the later, take a look at librarything.com... you only have to type in the ISBN... from there you can export lists or whatever. If you have ALOT of pbooks you can get a cuecat scanner for $15 and use that to enter your books.

For calibre I think you can import a folder all at once. however, I don't think there is anyway to get a list out of it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post

This manual system works for me, because I kinda like doing the document maintenance. Weird...I know. It reminds me that I've already downloaded more books than I can read in a year.

Dreamer
That's really interesting. I use calibre to manage everything and I have a Master To-Read and Read list on Google Docs. This takes care of my needs. I usually keep whatever I download right on the SD card but now I am starting to put less on the SD card and simply tagging new books with a tags called "unread" "tosync" within calibre. Every once in a while I clean up the stuff I've read (by using the Master Read list) and then sync up by adding the stuff with the "tosync" tag.

If I had it my way I would do this automatically but that's a feature that's available just yet in calibre. I also have more downloaded than I can read, but part of me is still a pBook collector, so for me it doesn't hurt to have them in case I need them.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
diana.stout
diana.stout began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
I mostly mean for ebooks. I kind of hope that I don't have to buy any more paper books. I just love the ereader - I have a small house and all my books are in tubs up in the attic. Trying to reread a series is a nightmare, just as trying to figure out what is the next book I need in a series that hasn't published in a while... etc. (Can we say Robert Jordan, Katherine Kerr, etc. etc. )

I guess I'll just keep trucking with my spreadsheet.
diana.stout is offline   Reply With Quote