Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
Free book from Sony ebook store thru June 12

I didn't see this posted, forgive me if I missed it. There'a a box down by the bottom left on the main screen.

Pasted from the Sony store:

DOWNLOAD THIS TITLE FOR FREE NOW THROUGH JUNE 12TH! The second in the series begun with In the Bleak Midwinter, the outstanding winner of the 2001 Malice Domestic contest featuring a female priest and the chief of police in an Upstate New York town.

Spencer-Fleming's second cozy-cum-thriller to feature the Reverend Clare
Fergusson, an ex-army helicopter pilot turned Anglican priest, is every bit as
riveting as her first, In the Bleak Midwinter (2002). A series of gay bashings, the discovery of PCBs in a local elementary school playground and a brutal murder heat up the Adirondacks town of Millers Kill, N.Y., hotter than the July weather. Clare, rector of St. Alban's Episcopal Church, and the very much married police chief Russ Van Alstyne, who have spent the last six months avoiding each other in hopes of dispelling their mutual attraction, find themselves working together on a perilous murder investigation. With eloquent exposition and natural dialogue, the precisely constructed plot moves effortlessly to its dramatic conclusion. The poignant reflections of Clare and Russ as they examine their own hearts and struggle with their feelings never
detract from the crime solving. Amid a host of memorable characters, Clare stands out, whether daring to drive a sports car instead of a safer four-wheel-drive vehicle or donning her vestments to perform the evening service of Compline in an empty church lit with candles. Not just fans of ecclesiastical mysteries will have reason to rejoice. Regional author tour. Agent, James Vines. (Apr. 7) Forecast: The jacket art, depicting a barbed wire fence and what look like fireworks against a dark sky, does little to
convey the subject or theme, but the author's name should be recommendation enough for fans of In the Bleak Midwinter. Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information -- PUBLISHERS WEEKLY.
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone 5
"Ecclesiastical mysteries"? You gotta be kidding me? This sounds like the plot of every cheesy, half-baked movie on Lifetime. No wonder they're giving it away for free.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
So they give away the second book in the series, as opposed to the first (which they don't even have) and none of the other books are out as ebooks. I mean free books in general are great, but for it to do much good I'd think you'd want to give away the first one & have the others available to buy if someone liked it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Randall, thank you for posting that! I had missed it.

The next book is going to be available on June 10th --what's the big deal about that, Brian?

As for JPlumey, I take it you don't like this sort of book? That's cool -- it happens to be the sort of book that I love to read.

JPlumey's and Brian's reactions are of the sort that always puzzle me -- if you don't like it, why do you have to make it seem so horrible? It's a free book, fercrissakes, why make it seem like such an evil deed?

Personally, I downloaded it and intend to read it and if I like it, I'll get the other books in the series as they become available for the Sony reader. And if I don't like it, I haven't wasted any money. What can be better than that? It's certainly a better deal than those books by authors I have liked, where they decide to go in a different direction artistically and plot/character-wise, only I don't really find that out until well into a book I've already purchased.

One thing to keep in mind, like this sort of book or not, is that it may well be a publisher's measuring stick to see if there really may be a market here to be tapped. Downloading the book won't hurt anybody (you can always delete it from your computer if you really hate the concept of this sort of book dirtying your machine) but downloading it will show the publisher that we're really out here and perhaps they'll try it with more books. I'm sure that the Sony web-site keeps statistics of how many times a particular book (free or not) is downloaded, to pass them on to the publishers.

Again, thank you Randall for posting about this free book!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So they give away the second book in the series, as opposed to the first (which they don't even have) and none of the other books are out as ebooks. I mean free books in general are great, but for it to do much good I'd think you'd want to give away the first one & have the others available to buy if someone liked it.
It's really quite simple: They want to promote the second book in the series. I think it's not a stretch of the imagination to assume that this second title - available June 10, according to their web site - will also be available from Sony on that date or shorly thereafter.

At least, that's how my mind works in formulating a rationale for giving this particular title away for free.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i think sony is just sadistic, and likes messing with y'all.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24726
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i think sony is just sadistic, and likes messing with y'all.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24726
I saw the post about the free book @ the Sony store, so I went over to Amazon to see if they had the same book for free. Discovered that not only was the same book being offered for free, but Kindle owners could get the first in the series for the same price. One can only hope that by the time she has finished reading the first two, they'll have found the source for the third and uploaded it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFire
Curious. I downloaded the file from Sony as a .html file--decided that's not what I wanted--so I went to my account to the Sony page and downloaded it as a Sony book.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone 5
Sorry, didn't mean to offend, but it just seems an odd choice of book to offer for free. I would think they would offer up something with more appeal, but then again, maybe they are targeting a specific audience. I hope anyone who downloads the book enjoys it.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
JPlumey's and Brian's reactions are of the sort that always puzzle me -- if you don't like it, why do you have to make it seem so horrible? It's a free book, fercrissakes, why make it seem like such an evil deed?
Did I say they were bad for offering it? All I was saying is it'd make more sense to get & give away the first book than the second. Series generally suck when read out of order & the first books available free through the publishers site as a PDF (and for the Kindle on Amazon) so Sony should be able to get it. Guess if someone makes a comment that must mean they don't appreciate the free book.

I actually wouldn't mind reading this series if they'd make it all available in ebook form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
It's really quite simple: They want to promote the second book in the series. I think it's not a stretch of the imagination to assume that this second title - available June 10, according to their web site - will also be available from Sony on that date or shorly thereafter.

At least, that's how my mind works in formulating a rationale for giving this particular title away for free.
Umm, this is the second book. If their promoting anything it's the next book 'I shall not want' which is book 6 in the series.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-06-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Brian, it was your "So they give away the second book in the series" comment that made me think you didn't really think it was a good thing. I realize it's the vagaries of reading the written word rather than hearing the spoken word, but these days when I hear someone begin a sentence with "So" it's always in a sneering tone of voice. I apologize if this was not your intent. And your further comment "I mean free books in general are great but . . ." seemed to indicate that it wasn't so great in this instance. Again I apologize for misconstruing your meaning.

And you're correct that I messed up my comment about the exact numbering of which books were being offered, but my meaning was the same -- the free book is to get you interested so that you'll buy the next book in the series which they indicate will be available soon.

As for getting any other free books to post on their site, even though they're offered for free on other sites, that doesn't give another company the right to simply post it without getting permission from the publisher to do so. And it seems that this is where Sony is falling down compared to Amazon -- Either Sony doesn't care, or Amazon's greater marketing muscle has allowed them to dictate to publishers which books should be released to Sony and when.

But mostly this reply is to apologize for misunderstanding your previous message.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
maybe it wasn't up to Sony as to what edition to give away for free
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

It's all moot at this point. The first book will be free from Sony too starting June 10th from what I just found out.

I really wasn't trying to dis them at all, sorry if it sounded that way.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If it's free it's free. First time I've seen the description "cozy-cum-thriller" though. Is it common?

Last edited by MerLock; 06-07-2008 at 10:29 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

A lot of Cozy's have Thriller elements in them, but I've never seen the actual description before.