Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
iLiad will rotate them and show them 1/2 page at a time zoomed in to remove the margin. Can you live with that? It works well for some documents.

Dale
It's funny the iLiad is close to the perfect device for me except on two fronts:

It's large
It's expensive.

The latter actually ISN'T a real problem (I have spent more than the cost of an Iliad on phones, I have a large "gadget" budget). It's only a problem when put in the context of "will I really use this as much as I hope I will".

I made another thread to address that issue, so I won't take this on too far off course.

Thanks for the replies. Question though.

Why can my 4.1" N800 read / resize PDFs brilliantly while the readers (arguably newer tech) can't I know it's something with resolution but it's not clicking in my head (or maybe I just don't understand the e-ink tech well enough yet).
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchuia View Post
Why can my 4.1" N800 read / resize PDFs brilliantly while the readers (arguably newer tech) can't
Part of the answer is that what is "good enough" for PDF display varies from person to person. The other part is that you can't scroll quickly on an E-Ink display (screen update takes too long), so the PDF display mode is typically based on whole screen refreshes and making major (e.g. half page) jumps in the document.

I don't read many PDFs, but the iLiad is a good PDF reader and the same techniques might work well enough on a 6" screen (particularly in landscape orientation). It will be interesting to see how well Adobe Digital Editions does with standard PDFs when it becomes available on the Sony PRS-505.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:55 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Kobo H2O, N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchuia View Post
Why can my 4.1" N800 read / resize PDFs brilliantly while the readers (arguably newer tech) can't I know it's something with resolution but it's not clicking in my head (or maybe I just don't understand the e-ink tech well enough yet).
Because it relies on rapid screen redrawing for zooming and scrolling. eInk displays currently take comething like half a second to refresh the screen, so that approach just doesn't work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 AM   #19
archerwoo
Enthusiast
archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3;Ip4
it seems that V3 is the best choice for PDF
archerwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:49 AM   #20
leveck
Literate Gadget Fan
leveck is on a distinguished road

Device: Vulan Flipstart, Sony PRS 505
Question

I am just waiting for my stimulus check to clear before ordering a prs 505. The metal construction clinched it for me...

According to all I've read, this device displays PDFs fine. Caveat: I own a copy of Acrobat Pro 8, and have already converted a few books to "optimum settings" for this device (larger font, smaller page size, small margins, etc.)

Using the settings as published by Sony, how well does this device actually perform with a PDF made especially for it?
leveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveck View Post
I am just waiting for my stimulus check to clear before ordering a prs 505. The metal construction clinched it for me...

According to all I've read, this device displays PDFs fine. Caveat: I own a copy of Acrobat Pro 8, and have already converted a few books to "optimum settings" for this device (larger font, smaller page size, small margins, etc.)

Using the settings as published by Sony, how well does this device actually perform with a PDF made especially for it?
Very well. I have read several (8) books from scifi-az.com that were formated this way.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #22
ttnl
ttnl began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Very well. I have read several (8) books from scifi-az.com that were formated this way.

BOb
I have a question about this. Can I reformat an existing PDF file using Adobe 9 Professional to fit it better into the Sony Prs-505? Thanks.
ttnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnl View Post
I have a question about this. Can I reformat an existing PDF file using Adobe 9 Professional to fit it better into the Sony Prs-505? Thanks.
Sorry, I don't know the product well enough to answer that question. Is Professional the new Acrobat? If so, I assume you could.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #24
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnl View Post
I don't have version 9 but I have used previous versions (7, 8) to change the size of a pdf. I found an online guide for converting files to fit the Reader, but don't have it bookmarked on my home computer. I'll check my work computer tomorrow.

Essentially, you change the document size to 3.57 by 4.82, margins .25 inches.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #25
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Ah-ha! Search long enough and you find what you seek! I found the instructions for formating PDFs for the Reader.

There's a link to the pdf just under the pictures of the Reader on the Make blog.

Dreamer
Old 07-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #26
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
The link on Make is to an older, unrevised version of the Sony PDF creation guide. A link to the revised version can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Reader

Actually, the only difference that I have remarked is that the revised version gives a corrected size for documents formatted to fit the Reader display: 3.47 by 4.54 inches, rather than 3.57 by 4.82 inches. However, this is not trivial--the former works out right, the latter doesn't.

It's also important to realize that it's primarily a guide to creating PDFs for the Reader, not to reformatting existing PDFs. These are different things. Reformatting an existing PDF is quite problematic, and not what this guide is mainly about.

Last edited by akiburis; 07-02-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Correction
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 AM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiburis View Post
The link on Make is to an older, unrevised version of the Sony PDF creation guide. A link to the revised version can be found here:

Actually, the only actual difference that I have remarked is that the revised version gives a corrected size for documents formatted to fit the Reader display: 3.47 by 4.54 inches, rather than 3.57 by 4.82 inches. However, this is not trivial--the former works out right, the latter doesn't.

It's also important to realize that it's primarily a guide to creating PDFs for the Reader, not to reformatting existing PDFs. These are different things. Reformatting an existing PDF is quite problematic, and not what this guide is mainly about.
While this guide is for the Sony it should work equally well for other devices that read PDF files. The only changes are likely to be for screen sizes and resolutions.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #28
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiburis View Post

Actually, the only difference that I have remarked is that the revised version gives a corrected size for documents formatted to fit the Reader display: 3.47 by 4.54 inches, rather than 3.57 by 4.82 inches. However, this is not trivial--the former works out right, the latter doesn't.

Thanks for the updated link and size information. I'll give it a try.

Dreamer
Old 07-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #29
ttnl
ttnl began at the beginning.

Device: None
wow, thank you for all your help. I will receive my Sony prs-505 sometime next week. I will try to reformat the PDFs. Last year I bought a PRS-500 and returned it because I didn't know how to make the PDFs more readable. So, let's wait and see how it turns out this time.
ttnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #30
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
I would also take a look at calibre. I am on a prs-500 and it's shooting about 50% for accurate conversion of complicated PDFs into a readable format.
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote