Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
crescere
Connoisseur
crescere began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Library classifications

I would appreciate seeing lists of how aome of you organize your large libraries. I can do the easy ones like History as parent and American and world as children.

However I have books like 10 Minute Toughness, Boost your Brain, The Five Elements of Effective Thinking, etc. Obviously they are all "self-improvement", but one book discusses more about attitude, while the other is specifically on increasing cognition.

I am curious as to how you all classify these things and more. Thank you in advance to all who offer ideas.
crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I just try to subdivide my non-fiction into groups that are between 20 and 200 books. I don't bother to classify to the same level.

I would just use "Self-improvement", since I don't have so many books of that type.

I even have a classification Nonfiction.Other where I have a bunch of different books on various topics.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-03-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ask yourself what purpose the categorization serves. If it's just to help you find the books you're looking for, then you may not need to go that in-depth.

In my case, however, I use a custom column that serves both as a lookup for the books, and as a simulated directory structure that I then use in my save-to-disk template.

This custom column, which I call "Hierarchy", goes into quite a bit of detail, including duplicating the series name in some cases. I also use the top level of the hierarchy to divide my books into virtual libraries.

So, for instance, my "How-To" virtual library might include "How-To.Cookbooks" as well as "How-To.Knots" and "How-To.Magic Tricks." My "Fiction" VL might include "Fiction.Fantasy.Tolkien.Lord of the Rings."

Despite what the manual says, you can store a directory hierarchy of arbitrary levels in a single field and use it to generate the hierarchy when you save to disk. My template converts "." to "/" to create the folders.

Finally, I use the View Manager plugin to switch back and forth between sorting by Author and sorting by Hierarchy as needed.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote