Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-31-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Bibliolaf
Bibliolaf began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
hello world

Hi all!

I study library and information science in Berlin and I'm going to write my thesis on ebooks, especially in darknets and p2p networks.
I need to learn more about the devices and reader software - that's the reason why I'm here.
I hope I can give a helping hand too.

Greetz

Bibliolaf
Bibliolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Bibliolaf
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Bibliolaf. I'm also a student of Information Science, but am focusing more on the way in which information is stored, categorized, and accessed rather than on books. One of my biggest frustrations in my studies is the extent to which my professors keep falling back on library science and books for examples. Since I come to Information Science from the technology side (with my prior studies in Software Engineering), I would love to approach the Information Science discipline in and of itself instead of always being dragged into its heritage (at least at my university) of springing from library science.

So -- welcome to MobileRead. I'm a proud owner of an Amazon Kindle and just love having a device on which to read the books which I consume so rapidly. (I have read 57 books this year and am about 1/2 way through 3 others. Another way to look at my recreational reading is the 20,137 pages I've read this year.)

I'm curious about the darknet and other sources of illegally supplied books -- but I'm not curious enough to go out and find the exact location of any of those sites for fear of having to explain to legal authorities what I was doing there. A study such as yours would allow me to satisfy my curiosity, and *should* provide some protection against prosecution. I'm fortunate enough to have sufficient funds to purchase the books I want -- so the "getting for free" isn't as tempting as the "knowing I could if I wanted to" is. So, please share your findings -- not the network locations -- but who is creating the ebooks, what their motivations are, and all that.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Bibliolaf and welcome to the Forum. I used to live in Berlin (Templehof) back in the 70's. very different then.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings Bibliolaf!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
basschick
Guru
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Kindle 3 WiFi, iPod Touch with Stanza
welcome, Bibliolaf
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote