Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited?
Yes 43 19.72%
No 175 80.28%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Looked around the KU catalogue, and it will be easier to just sign up for it than not. In the very least it will cost just as much as before each month on average, but with better selection. Better selection? Well yes - since no more free or very cheap books in a series and then expensive for the next books. I never liked that concept - and KU has a lot of those as well. At least there if one book of series is in KU, all books are in. And no regret trying out books that are more expensive than the price I like to pay for.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
kristalana
Zealot
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab Pro
Nope. I'm a huge re-reader, so the subscription model really isn't for me as I need to own the books I love or even really like. That said, the book selection is woefully inadequate for my purposes, so I probably wouldn't have subscribed to KU in any case.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #18
Tarana
Guru
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, Kindle HDX, Nook Glolight, Nook HD+
I will likely sign up for the audible credit, but where did you guys see that deal? I can't find it.

I have probably 5 years of ebooks/audiobooks to read/listen to already, but my Mom has some interests that do not include books available free through Prime.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #19
Catlady
Wizard
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook Lite, Libre Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I will likely sign up for the audible credit, but where did you guys see that deal? I can't find it.

I have probably 5 years of ebooks/audiobooks to read/listen to already, but my Mom has some interests that do not include books available free through Prime.
It's kind of hidden, but here is the link.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
If the selection of publishers improves, maybe.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
Tarana
Guru
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, Kindle HDX, Nook Glolight, Nook HD+
Thanks for the link. I've been going through the search and am having trouble coming up with authors that either of us read. I guess most of our reading is with the Big 5, who aren't currently part of the plan.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #22
rguion
Enthusiast
rguion can extract oil from cheeserguion can extract oil from cheeserguion can extract oil from cheeserguion can extract oil from cheeserguion can extract oil from cheeserguion can extract oil from cheeserguion can extract oil from cheeserguion can extract oil from cheeserguion can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It's kind of hidden, but here is the link.
Thanks for the link! It doesn't hurt to try and get those credits. I have been wanting to try Brilliance by Marcus Sakey since it was narrated by Luke Daniels. Now I added it thru KU and see the Whispersync / audible title is not included for this one.
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #23
Sydney's Mom
I Bleed Cubby Blue
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Fire HDX , IPad and Samsung Tab 2
The library already provides this feature, and has big publisher books. If they don't buy a book, I either decide I don't want to read it, or I buy it. I doubt publishers will ever be more flexible with Amazon versus the libraries.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #24
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 3GS; Kindle 4 (Black); Nook HD+
I just jumped on the free trial today, and I think I'll keep it. The big advantage for me is that there are a lot of self-pub space opera series. I like the genre, but even at $3-4 each a 6-8 book series is expensive. Paying $10 a month lets me read those series as they come out and try new ones.

It works for me, but might not for others.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #25
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I like to keep the ebooks I buy, and I'm not at all interested in audio books, so a big no for me. Also, the limited selection does not help. I read a lot from the big publishers.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #26
DreamWriter
Wizard
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
At some point I'll sign up for the free 30-day trial but have no intention to continue after that.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #27
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
After scanning through quite a few pages of mostly indie ebooks I found two ebooks I planned to buy this summer (cost = $15), a couple of short stories it would be nice to get free, some books by authors who I've read, a handful I'd like the audiobook for (which I can get cheaply as Whispersync for voice matches once I've borrowed the KU title), and another handful by authors I'd like to try if they are free.

All that adds up to 24 titles on my wishlist, which should keep me busy for the 3 months it will take to get the bonus of 3 free Audible credits. I'm charging up my old Kindle Keyboard and I'll sign up in a few days when I finish the book I'm reading.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:08 AM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC Flyer; BBMini; Sony PRS650; Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I vote for the "Possibly, once they open it up internationally" option.
Put me in this group as well. Even with the limited selection, it's about 200 times a bigger selection than the Dutch electronic library (which has a selection of, hang on, about 3500 books! And not even all of these are novels...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Put me in this group as well. Even with the limited selection, it's about 200 times a bigger selection than the Dutch electronic library (which has a selection of, hang on, about 3500 books! And not even all of these are novels...)
It's only currently available to customers in the US.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #30
booklover6
Wizard
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, HD, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
the 3 months it will take to get the bonus of 3 free Audible credits.
Can anyone clear up my confusion....is there any charge for Audible for those three months? And are those months tacked on to whatever one currently has (I am on the $1.99 per month for three months plan)? But in order to get those free three months, one must remain a member of KU for three months?

Or would I have to stay on KU even longer than 3 months due to my other plan? I am so confused. I absolutely will not pay $15 a month for Audible under any circumstances, but I like free credits.

Last edited by booklover6; 07-20-2014 at 08:05 AM.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote