Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
MarkXS
MarkXS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo: AuraHD.Arc,WiFi; Kindle: kbd3G; Android Apps: Aldiko/Kobo/Kindle
Hola from Uruguay!

Hi there! I can't believe I've had an e-reader for years (several now - in my profile), been an avid reader, and have been a denizen of many forums despite the world moving on to social media, and never knew about MobileRead!

Obviously was missing something important! Happened across the site yesterday in search results for some Kobo Aura HD font info, and found much more. Immediately joined.

Originally from the northeastern US, with some years out in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and a couple of short stints in the South and the PNW. I'm now living in Uruguay, because (very long story not for here) and love it. Have done some social media work for a couple of authors but not linking to them or my little venture, because not the purpose of this. I'm kind of easily discoverable under this MarkXS screenname that I've used on many forums and sites since about forever, so if interested, I'm not exactly hidden!

Married to and business partners with a professional writer with two dead-tree and a few additional ebooks to her name, and a couple of destroyed Kindles and Kobos along the way (she is a serious reader!)

Current household ereader population is:
  • 2 Kindle keyboard 3rd Gen 3G (hers is just about dying)
  • 1 Kobo WiFi (2nd Gen Kobo, original WiFi) - another didn't survive a mandatory "put your bag in the overhead".
  • 1 Kobo Aura HD (Mine! all mine, hahaha!)
  • 1 Kobo Arc (original Arc) tablet, which is also my primary "Kindle" and is "my Nook" via their Android apps. Also is my Google Books primary reader though I usually download them into Aldiko Reader app, and read on that device.
  • 1 crummy oddball-branded only-in-South-America 10in Android tablet that runs Aldiko reader ok for my books including my downloaded Adobe DRM EPUBs from Kobo and Google, sort-of-chokes on the Kobo app and only gets a downlevel version from the Google Play store, and chokes on any Kindle app greater than 3.4.
  • 2 cheap crummy Android phones running Kindle and Aldiko apps, and in my case, Kobo app.
  • 1 Nook Color (original version) that pretty much nobody ever uses for anything.
One of us is pretty much always reading something on one or more of these devices, or has just fallen asleep hopefully not dropping (or in the case of the 10in-tablet, not bonking self on the head) the device in question.

My primary bookstore is Kobo, if they carry the book I want at a competitive price, because, freedom. At least relative freedom, compared to "marrying Jeff Bezos". I like that my Kobo eReaders (e-ink) can read Adobe DRM books from any standard EPUB seller using standard DRM, and that my Kobo-purchased books can likewise be obtained in that format to be read on non-Kobo devices/apps that support EPUB/AdobeDRM.

Since they don't give me a hard time about using my books, I have not found any reason to need to "do something about" the DRM. If I'm spending "real money" I pretty much buy only from Kobo, unless their price is way out of line with Amazon or somebody gives me an Amazon gift card. I do get lots of freebies on Kindle, because most of the books mentioned on OHFB, BookBub, and all of theme on sites like Pixel of Ink, are Kindle-only.

My spouse still prefers the Kindle, despite the ever-bloating Kindle Android App that brings non-high-end devices to their knees. Neither of us buy from Nook anymore and haven't for years.

I read a lot of science fiction (especially British Space Opera, time travel, and "weird"), some thrillers and mysteries, have a soft-spot for some of the less romance-y of silly cozies and romantic suspense despite being a guy. Read a fair amount of current affairs, politics, and modern history, some bios especially scientist bios, and science books.

Despite being a geek (doing web work nowadays, did corporate software for 25 years), or perhaps because of it, I have near-zero interest in technically modifying, rooting, adding alternative readers to, or otherwise hacking my Android and eReader devices. I rooted my wife's original Nook Color twice, B&N updates re-rooted the darn thing twice, and I decided this was a big waste of time given all the other stuff we have that does what we need, más o menos.

I expect to be mostly lurking and reading, but will jump in from time to time if I feel I have something to contribute. Thanks to all for having this community and providing so much great info!

Mark
MarkXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to Mobileread
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 07-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 5, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Mark and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote