Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Should people be free to necropost?
Yes! Live and let live. 28 80.00%
No! The dead should stay dead. 4 11.43%
Necroposting sounds dirty. Is it dirty? 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2014, 02:08 AM   #16
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I did read that thread, but I think that the issue might have had to do with the "Similar Threads" section as well. I mean instead of the person digging up old threads, it seems more likely that they were looking at the "Similar Threads" and commented on those as well.

I think that it would be helpful if the threads in the "Similar Threads" section were not so old.
It doesn't matter where people get the threads from. Similar threads are fine and perfectly acceptable.

The problem is with people who come across whatever threads for whatever reason, read them, see that they don't really apply (or don't bother to check --possibly "train-of-thought is boarding at the station"?), then post meaningless stuff, like responses to out-of-date instructions and even totally-unrelated stuff.

In Worldwalker's post, some idiot was vandalizing MR with complaints about Sony. Possibly using the Similar Threads list. But either way, it is just one more case of people necroposting where they don't belong --regardless of why.
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #17
GrannyGrump
Persnickity Nitpicker
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
One problem I can see with auto-locking would be in the Library. Many uploaders resurrect very old threads to upload new book versions, many readers resurrect them to comment on books they have down-loaded. Maybe if an auto-lock policy was implemented, it would have to exclude the Library.

And yes, I think the "Similar Threads" can be very confusing for any poster. It's sometimes hard to judge whether an old thread is relevant, or if its *title* just happens to be similar to the thread you are currently reading. Case in point, four out of five of the Similar Threads for this one are titles that simply contain the word "Wrong". This is not necessarily helpful...
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 AM   #18
eschwartz
Irrational Optimist
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is why people should read the threads first...
eschwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:28 AM   #19
GrannyGrump
Persnickity Nitpicker
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Quote:
That is why people should read the threads first...
Oh, but that takes away all the mystery and adventure!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #20
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
...and another thing....

The one kind of necroposting I CANNOT stand is when a poster--not a moderator--necroposts with an OFF TOPIC reply to a necroposter for no reason other than to berate them for necroposting. As if they make the rules and we all need to hear them.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote