Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Nate the great's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,327
Karma: 2897207
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro area
Device: Shake a stick plus 1
ETI (this one's for you, Zelda)

I spoke to Garth Conboy briefly, and got a couple pictures of his reader. It's a standard PVI/Netronix 6" reader. It looks like the NUUT Starebook, Cybook, and so on and so forth. But it was running ETI's software, and I admit, that was cool. Just to be clear, this isn't a model they are going to sell. It was one of the ones they bought as a development tool.

In his talk he said that ETI was working toward an Eink device as well as epub to imp conversion. He went on to demo ETI's reader software running on his Macbook in a VM. He quickly showed us the reader at a resolution of 1600 by 1200, and at Iphone resolution.

Since they can move the reader to other devices, what would you like to see running their reader?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pvi_ebook1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	12848   Click image for larger version

Name:	pvi_ebook2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	12849   Click image for larger version

Name:	pvi_ebook3.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	12850  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3,000
Karma: 300001
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I spoke to Garth Conboy briefly, and got a couple pictures of his reader. It's a standard PVI/Netronix 6" reader. It looks like the NUUT Starebook, Cybook, and so on and so forth. But it was running ETI's software, and I admit, that was cool. Just to be clear, this isn't a model they are going to sell. It was one of the ones they bought as a development tool.

In his talk he said that ETI was working toward an Eink device as well as epub to imp conversion. He went on to demo ETI's reader software running on his Macbook in a VM. He quickly showed us the reader at a resolution of 1600 by 1200, and at Iphone resolution.

Since they can move the reader to other devices, what would you like to see running their reader?
Aaaannndddd... No pictures, no link to their website, no specs. I'm disappointed, Nate...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Enthusiast
Old 05-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
zelda_pinwheel's Avatar
 
Posts: 27,828
Karma: 908606
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Paris, France
Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks Nate ! karma for you...

i like their reader ; but the question for me isn't really "can we put the reader on a different (existing) device" but rather "can we make a better e-ink device than the 6 gazillion NUUT Starebook, Cybook etc clones ?" i would love to have a reader with the same basic design as the eb 1150 (you know, with those giant buttons on the side), but an e-ink screen. and a few other refinements as well, of course, but let's keep this simple. that's what i'm hoping for from ETI (Garth knows, i sent him an email with a detailed desscription of my dream device i even posted it here, if you're curious). that's why i was disappointed to see yet another NUUT shell with the ETI software inside it. i'm hoping that, like the photo on their website, that is only a prototype and they are working first on the software, or something, and are just using a NUUT they had lying around for convenience's sake. but when the time comes to produce them they will go back to their own design.

thanks very much for the info in any case ; i'm really hoping they will come up with my dream e-ink device soon... i'm trying to resist the temptation of the Astaks and the Gen3 but it's not always easy !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
zelda_pinwheel's Avatar
 
Posts: 27,828
Karma: 908606
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Paris, France
Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Derek : there are some photos in the photo thread, actually. They're the black PVI devices.

the site :
http://www.ebooktechnologies.com
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Nate the great's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,327
Karma: 2897207
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro area
Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Aaaannndddd... No pictures, no link to their website, no specs. I'm disappointed, Nate...

Derek
The pictures were already posted over in another thread. I had assumed the you found them already. If you want to go to their website, use Google. And as for specs, he didn't announce a device. He just happened to take out his reader and talk about it. There is no device to announce.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 3,000
Karma: 300001
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The pictures were already posted over in another thread. I had assumed the you found them already. If you want to go to their website, use Google. And as for specs, he didn't announce a device. He just happened to take out his reader and talk about it. There is no device to announce.
Thanks. For some reason I thought those were part of Astak's prototypes.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #7
LeserattePD
Enthusiast
LeserattePD doesn't litterLeserattePD doesn't litter
 
Posts: 47
Karma: 136
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Device: Ebookwise 1150, Kindle 3
I completely agree. All I want is my ebookwise with exactly the same software and functions, but with an e-ink screen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks Nate ! karma for you...

i like their reader ; but the question for me isn't really "can we put the reader on a different (existing) device" but rather "can we make a better e-ink device than the 6 gazillion NUUT Starebook, Cybook etc clones ?" i would love to have a reader with the same basic design as the eb 1150 (you know, with those giant buttons on the side), but an e-ink screen. and a few other refinements as well, of course, but let's keep this simple. that's what i'm hoping for from ETI (Garth knows, i sent him an email with a detailed desscription of my dream device i even posted it here, if you're curious). that's why i was disappointed to see yet another NUUT shell with the ETI software inside it. i'm hoping that, like the photo on their website, that is only a prototype and they are working first on the software, or something, and are just using a NUUT they had lying around for convenience's sake. but when the time comes to produce them they will go back to their own design.

thanks very much for the info in any case ; i'm really hoping they will come up with my dream e-ink device soon... i'm trying to resist the temptation of the Astaks and the Gen3 but it's not always easy !!
LeserattePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pilotbob's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,424
Karma: 9605542
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL USA
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeserattePD View Post
I completely agree. All I want is my ebookwise with exactly the same software and functions, but with an e-ink screen.
I'd buy that... espesially if it was the same price as the current eBookwise.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
Alex Red
Junior Member
Alex Red began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Nov 2007
Device: PRS-505
A lot of excitement! Why?

Yes, I wonder why?

What is so exciting about Astak brand against others, say Hanlin V3 or Sony PRS-505?

This is not about bashing anyone. Why I am asking is because I bought two PRS-505 (for my nephew and my wife) and they are very happy.

Now it is my turn to get a good book reader. And if this is the best (in the <=$300 range) then I would like to know why.

Thank you in advance...
Alex Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pilotbob's Avatar
 
Posts: 19,424
Karma: 9605542
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa, FL USA
Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Red View Post
What is so exciting about Astak brand against others, say Hanlin V3 or Sony PRS-505?
Because the projected prices are $150-$200 less than the similar 6inch readers. And the 9.7inch reader is projected to be about $250-$350 less than the only 8inch reader on the market. Finally, the 5inch for $200 or less will be the least expensive eInk device on the market.

So, that is why there has been alot of excitement, anticipation and activity on this thread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,018
Karma: 3630887
Join Date: Oct 2007
Device: Palm=> Ebookman=> IPaq=> Axim=> Cybook=> Kindle 2=>IPAD 1 & Kindle 3SO
Why is Astak getting the attention??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Because the projected prices are $150-$200 less than the similar 6inch readers. And the 9.7inch reader is projected to be about $250-$350 less than the only 8inch reader on the market. Finally, the 5inch for $200 or less will be the least expensive eInk device on the market.

So, that is why there has been alot of excitement, anticipation and activity on this thread.

BOb
I do think the price point is the #1 attraction. But there are a couple of other things also.

2) Hanlin and many others aren't really experienced in the US retail market. I know this is a worldwide message board, but a good proportion of the visitors are US-based. A lot of us have already seen problems with getting warranty service from, say, France.

3) Not only is the price cheaper, but their are more options than anybody but IREX. To have touchscreen and wi-fi on a 9+ inch device for below $350 is wonderful.

4) Hope and Change are also wonderful . OK, I'm not meaning to get silly (or too political) here. But at this point, you can believe that the Astak is whatever that you want it to be. There has been announcement of the possibility of touchscreen options on all of the devices (though definitely on the largest). Ditto with wi-fi. Maybe color soon (9 months?). A Linux version - yep. WinCE - yep. Some folks hope that WinCE means basic PDA options. There have been different configurations shown so we can all hope for our favorite button design. I heard about the possibility of mobipocket, Adobe, epub and more on the Astak. Of course WinCE makes one think of the windows LIT format. So whatever your problem with the current batch of readers you can pretend that Astak has the solution.

However, I doubt they will really end up with this range of variation. Certainly, Walmart is unlikely to stock this many SKU's. Once they firm up on three or four hardware models then we'll start to see some folks realize they aren't the perfect answer to everyone.

On the software side, they will also need to limit their choices. Theoretically, they could have many different software versions and you could choose to load the version of your choice via the Internet. However, look at Bookeen as an example, and consider how tough and how long it is taking them to get software updates out. I'm not convinced that Astak will have the sales volume across all of these s/w choices to justify the level of investment you would want in order to see ongoing evolution of the operating system. I think we'll see a selection of one basic operating system, although there may be a few choices of 3rd party e-readers that can be loaded onto the system.

Bottom line is that when they reach market they may well be the cheapest and even most feature-rich choice. However, like everyone else they will need to make choices and there is no guarantee that their choices will please everyone like their current wish list of 'hope' does.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eti-1 bishoplogan Fictionwise eBookwise 4 06-03-2011 11:27 AM
Specifying one's U.S. Kindle address - where is it? Dr. Drib Amazon Kindle 2 01-16-2010 07:00 AM
Is the ETI-2 from Filament really a deal? jabberwock_11 Which one should I buy? 7 11-06-2008 02:02 PM
Question regarding eBT inc and the ETI-1 askyn Fictionwise eBookwise 4 09-23-2008 10:53 AM
This one's for HarryT... montsnmags Lounge 37 06-10-2008 04:57 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.