Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #181
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisebearymore juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Why do you think the weird behaviour of the dictionary is connected to the page breaks bug fix? I have that patch installed on my Aura HD and haven't seen any of that weirdness with my dictionary.
I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but one of my debugging steps was to disable the patch. When I did, the problem disappeared. When I re-enabled it, the problem came back. When I changed from the first fix to the second fix, the symptoms changed as I described. I'm wondering if perhaps there isn't an interaction with the top/bottom margin patch which I also have enabled. I haven't had a chance to test that, though.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #182
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Its possible that you are seeing another compiler optimization related issue, similar to one we've seen with another patch and the keyboard. In that bug changing a URL used for version checking altered the keyboard mapping to remove the 5 key.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #183
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but one of my debugging steps was to disable the patch. When I did, the problem disappeared. When I re-enabled it, the problem came back. When I changed from the first fix to the second fix, the symptoms changed as I described. I'm wondering if perhaps there isn't an interaction with the top/bottom margin patch which I also have enabled. I haven't had a chance to test that, though.
Could you post the *.patch files you are using when the dictionary problem appears?

Has anyone else come across a problem with the dictionary while using the patches?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #184
npr
npr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura
I've had this dictionary weirdness. Until I saw this thread I never associated it with a patch.

Typically a 4 page dictionary entry would go:-
Swipe right to left == page 1 then page 3 then page 4 them page 2 then 4 ,2, 4, 2 etc.

I've tested by removing the page breaks patch -- still the same problem.

I then removed the PDF patches and this appears to improved things, I'm still getting an occasional double page turn in the dictionary so it's not perfect.

I'll try later to see if I can duplicate this.

Quote:
// Patching start
//////////////////////////////////////////////
Read 238008 bytes from input file 'C:\Kobopatch\patch_kobo_34\3.3.1_source\libad
obe.so'
Ignoring disabled patch `Remove PDF map widget shown during panning`
Ignoring disabled patch `Preserve PDF pan position across page turns`
Ignoring disabled patch `Remove PDF page turn arrows at left and right edges of
page`
Wrote 238008 bytes to output file 'C:\Kobopatch\patch_kobo_34\3.3.1_target\usr\l
ocal\Kobo\libadobe.so'
// Patching end
// Patching start
Read 16686772 bytes from input file 'C:\Kobopatch\patch_kobo_34\3.3.1_source\lib
nickel.so.1.0.0'
Applied patch `Custom reading footer style`
Ignoring disabled patch `My 10 line spacing values`
Applied patch `My 15 line spacing values`
Applied patch `Custom fonts sizes`
Applied patch `Custom left & right margins`
Applied patch `Freedom to advanced fonts control`
Applied patch `Brightness fine control`
Applied patch `Unitless ePub line height`
Applied patch `Synopsis font size fix`
Ignoring disabled patch `Allow download all in Browser`
Ignoring disabled patch `Search in Library by default`
Ignoring disabled patch `Remove system fonts in Reader list`
Ignoring disabled patch `Remove non-system fonts in Reader list`
Ignoring disabled patch `Cyrillic keyboard`
Ignoring disabled patch `ePub adjustable top/bottom margin`
Ignoring disabled patch `Wi-Fi insomnia`
Ignoring disabled patch `Margins fine tuning`
Ignoring disabled patch `Custom page refresh options`
Applied patch `Custom kepub default margins`
Ignoring disabled patch `Customise PinchGestureRecognizer`
Applied patch `Disable pinch-to-zoom in ePub reader`
Wrote 16686772 bytes to output file 'C:\Kobopatch\patch_kobo_34\3.3.1_target\usr
\local\Kobo\libnickel.so.1.0.0'
// Patching end
// Patching start
Read 6038052 bytes from input file 'C:\Kobopatch\patch_kobo_34\3.3.1_source\libr
msdk.so.1.0.0'
Ignoring disabled patch `Fix page breaks bug`
Ignoring disabled patch `Ignore book internal CSS stylesheet`
Ignoring disabled patch `Ignore book TOC navpoints`
Wrote 6038052 bytes to output file 'C:\Kobopatch\patch_kobo_34\3.3.1_target\usr\
local\Kobo\librmsdk.so.1.0.0'
// Patching end

7-Zip (A) 9.20 Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18
Scanning

Creating archive KoboRoot.tar

Compressing usr
Compressing usr\local
Compressing usr\local\Kobo
Compressing usr\local\Kobo\libadobe.so
Compressing usr\local\Kobo\libnickel.so.1.0.0
Compressing usr\local\Kobo\librmsdk.so.1.0.0

Everything is Ok

7-Zip (A) 9.20 Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18
Scanning

Creating archive KoboRoot.tgz

Compressing KoboRoot.tar

Everything is Ok
-------------------------------------------------------
SUMMARY: Everything seems to be O.K.
------------------------------
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #185
npr

Sorry, false alarm -- I've repeated the above and still get the dictionary weirdness with the PDF patches enabled or disabled. The page breaks patch remained disabled.

Kobo Aura 6"
Old 06-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #186
spruitje
spruitje doesn't litterspruitje doesn't litter

Device: kobos, kindles
Because of unpredictable behavior when swiping in the dictionary popup, I switched to tapping, which works OK. When I saw this thread I decided to do some more testing with an Aura HD and a Glo, both with patched 3.3.0.

Results:

Swiping works OK when I start very close to the edge of the screen. If not, swiping results in movements by 2 pages. Both Glo and Aura HD. Both from right to left (OK when starting at right edge) and from left to right (OK when starting at left edge).

Same results for 'Fix page breaks bug' variants:
first variant on Aura HD and Glo;
second variant on Aura HD (alternative method not tested on Glo).
spruitje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #187
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I've tried the combinations of patches above, and various others on my Glo with firmware 3.4.1, and I can't provoke any unusual dictionary behaviour at all.

The swipe/tap zone in the dictionary does not extend to the full area of the popup, so swipes/taps near the edges of the popup have no effect, but nothing I do results in a double page turn.

Perhaps we will figure it out with more reports. Has anyone with firmware 3.4.1 had the dictionary problems?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #188
npr

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruitje View Post
Swiping works OK when I start very close to the edge of the screen. If not, swiping results in movements by 2 pages.
You're right, I hadn't noticed that -- thanks for pointing it out

Aura 6"
Old 06-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #189
spruitje
spruitje doesn't litterspruitje doesn't litter

Device: kobos, kindles
The following test results lead me to the conclusion that the peculiar dictionary swiping behavior is not related to the patches.
  • After restoring the patched libraries on a Glo to the original versions (from the 3.3.0 distribution), the behavior described in post #186 persists.
  • After upgrading the same Glo to 3.4.1 the peculiar behavior stops.
  • After applying similar patches as used in 3.3.0 to 3.4.1, swiping still works OK.
spruitje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #190
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You don't need a patch. The selected value is written into the config file. You can edit it and change it to other values.

Set the value to something other than "Never", connect to the PC and open the "Kobo eReader.conf" file in an editor. Make sure you use a Unix line-end aware editor. Look for the line with "AutoOffMinutes" and change the value. This is a time in minutes. I don't know what the maximum value is, but I have true 120 minutes and it worked. I am pretty sure others have reported using longer times.
So using NotePad++ I changed the value on my Aura HD to 10 minutes, then I set the Kobo eReader.conf file "AutoOffMinutes" to 1440 (24 hours), saved the file, and now I still see the same default options (5-10-15-30-45-60-Never). Did I miss a step somewhere?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #191
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You will NOT see the new options in the menu on the Kobo.....
Old 06-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #192
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
So using NotePad++ I changed the value on my Aura HD to 10 minutes, then I set the Kobo eReader.conf file "AutoOffMinutes" to 1440 (24 hours), saved the file, and now I still see the same default options (5-10-15-30-45-60-Never). Did I miss a step somewhere?
I think only the value is expected to be set by the configuration file, you cannot change the selectable options. The value set in the configuration file will remain until you select one of the options in the menu, provided that it is accepted at all (there might be some limit).

EDIT: I see Peter has already answered.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #193
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You will NOT see the new options in the menu on the Kobo.....
So then what value should be selected in the menu on the Kobo?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #194
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up

None... Once the value is SET in ther conf file, that IS the value being used for the sleep time. As soon as you change the value in the menu, it will overwrite the value in the conf file again.

I know at one time the menus would show the text "Oh the Humanity" when you had selected another value, but now it just seems to show the default value of 5.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #195
GeoffR
Wizard

I have a patch to modify the light/sleep/power-off times selected from the settings menu, but there are some restrictions which limit its usefulness:

1. The values selected from the menu must be in the range 1-255 minutes (about 4 hours max).

2. All three light/sleep/power menus display the same six fixed options, regardless of the actual values set by each option (so it will be confusing unless you choose the same six values for each menu).

firmware 3.3.0 (libnickel.so.1.0.0):
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom light/sleep/power-off time menu options`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Values displayed on all three menus
replace_string = D66910, `5 mins\x00`, `10 mins`
replace_string = D66918, `10 mins`, `20 mins`
replace_string = D66920, `15 mins`, `30 mins`
replace_string = D66928, `30 mins`, `1 hour`
replace_string = D66930, `45 mins`, `2 hours`
replace_string = D66938, `60 mins`, `4 hours`
# Actual values used for light menu
replace_int = A06EBE, 5, 10
replace_int = A06F08, 10, 20
replace_int = A06F4C, 15, 30
replace_int = A06F90, 30, 60
replace_int = A06FD4, 45, 120
replace_int = A07018, 60, 240
# Actual values used for sleep menu
replace_int = A070C8, 5, 10
replace_int = A0710C, 10, 20
replace_int = A07152, 15, 30
replace_int = A07198, 30, 60
replace_int = A071DE, 45, 120
replace_int = A07224, 60, 240
# Actual values used for power menu
replace_int = A072D8, 5, 10
replace_int = A0731A, 10, 20
replace_int = A0735E, 15, 30
replace_int = A073A2, 30, 60
replace_int = A073E6, 45, 120
replace_int = A07428, 60, 240
</Patch>

firmware 3.3.1 (libnickel.so.1.0.0):
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_string = D69BF8, `5 mins\x00`, `10 mins`
replace_string = D69C00, `10 mins`, `20 mins`
replace_string = D69C08, `15 mins`, `30 mins`
replace_string = D69C10, `30 mins`, `1 hour`
replace_string = D69C18, `45 mins`, `2 hours`
replace_string = D69C20, `60 mins`, `4 hours`
replace_int = A07C0E, 5, 10
replace_int = A07C58, 10, 20
replace_int = A07C9C, 15, 30
replace_int = A07CE0, 30, 60
replace_int = A07D24, 45, 120
replace_int = A07D68, 60, 240
replace_int = A07E18, 5, 10
replace_int = A07E5C, 10, 20
replace_int = A07EA2, 15, 30
replace_int = A07EE8, 30, 60
replace_int = A07F2E, 45, 120
replace_int = A07F74, 60, 240
replace_int = A08028, 5, 10
replace_int = A0806A, 10, 20
replace_int = A080AE, 15, 30
replace_int = A080F2, 30, 60
replace_int = A08136, 45, 120
replace_int = A08178, 60, 240
</Patch>

firmware 3.4.1 (libnickel.so.1.0.0):
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_string = D656D4, `5 mins\x00`, `10 mins`
replace_string = D656DC, `10 mins`, `20 mins`
replace_string = D656E4, `15 mins`, `30 mins`
replace_string = D656EC, `30 mins`, `1 hour`
replace_string = D656F4, `45 mins`, `2 hours`
replace_string = D656FC, `60 mins`, `4 hours`
replace_int = A0837E, 5, 10
replace_int = A083C8, 10, 20
replace_int = A0840C, 15, 30
replace_int = A08450, 30, 60
replace_int = A08494, 45, 120
replace_int = A084D8, 60, 240
replace_int = A08588, 5, 10
replace_int = A085CC, 10, 20
replace_int = A08612, 15, 30
replace_int = A08658, 30, 60
replace_int = A0869E, 45, 120
replace_int = A086E4, 60, 240
replace_int = A08798, 5, 10
replace_int = A087DA, 10, 20
replace_int = A0881E, 15, 30
replace_int = A08862, 30, 60
replace_int = A088A6, 45, 120
replace_int = A088E8, 60, 240
</Patch>

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-15-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added patch for firmware 3.3.0