Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #61
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Right now I can fit my S5 with its case into my pants pocket, shirt pocket or jacket inside pocket. I can NOT fit my PW or HDX into my pockets.

If the next generation of PW and / or HDX had phone and message capabilities and could fit in my pocket, then I would prefer one of them over the S5.

I believe the name for that device not yet created is the "phablet."
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #62
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Has the Samsung Galaxy S5 made all the Kindles obsolete?
NO. It hasn't made e-ink readers obsolete. You see, there are other e-ink readers, not just Kindles.
If I had that much money to burn on a phone, I would puchase a new computer with an SSD disk for my Calibre library and Onyx Midia Inkphone in addition to a simple e-ink reader ;-)
For me personally the price of Samsung Galaxy S5 is insane.

Quote:
Its simply not practical to use the PW or HDX without their covers. Thus, those covers must be included when measuring portability (weight, length and width).
Perhaps you personally find it impractical. I love to use my e-ink reader "naked" - that is without a cover, not with me wearing no clothes. I got spoiled by PocketBook 360 that has a snap-on plastic lid.
I do use a custom-made box from a very thin plywood reinforced by thin layer of laminate to transport my e-ink reader. The cover weights 102grams in addition to 204grams. The sturdiness and level of protection of your phone cover can not compare to my box.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 04-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #63
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
How many of you listen audio books in the car while driving? In that use the phone is most excellent choice. Although I myself complement it with Logitech Boombox UE bt-speaker (the smaller one).
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #64
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
How many of you listen audio books in the car while driving? In that use the phone is most excellent choice. Although I myself complement it with Logitech Boombox UE bt-speaker (the smaller one).
I listen to audiobooks via my iPhone all the time, in my car I use a line-in cord on my stereo.

My bluetooth speaker is a BoomBot2. Very loud for such a small, portable device.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #65
Barty
Wizard
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PW2, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

Perhaps you personally find it impractical. I love to use my e-ink reader "naked" - that is without a cover, not with me wearing no clothes. I got spoiled by PocketBook 360 that has a snap-on plastic lid.

I do use a custom-made box from a very thin plywood reinforced by thin layer of laminate to transport my e-ink reader. The cover weights 102grams in addition to 204grams. The sturdiness and level of protection of your phone cover can not compare to my box.

I've never bothered with a cover on any of my kindles. I drop them all the time. They are scratched and beat up. But hey, so am I

Once I cracked the screen of one kindle by pushing off on it with my elbow, but a cover probably wouldn't have saved it anyway.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #66
HYPE
Zealot
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
As if the Galaxy S5 has changed anything?
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #67
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Big Change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
As if the Galaxy S5 has changed anything?
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is really the Kindle Fire HDX with the ability to place it in one's pants pocket, make and receive telephone calls and messages.

It handles eBooks in a similar manner to the HDX.

It is what I had hoped for in the Amazon Smart Phone not yet released. If Amazon had released its smart phone now, that would have been my preference.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #68
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (first gen), Kobo Aura HD
IMO, the S5 is not different from most smartphones. To be honest, there's nothing special about the Galaxy S5.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #69
sirmaru
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
IMO, the S5 is not different from most smartphones. To be honest, there's nothing special about the Galaxy S5.
The big difference in the S5 from other smart phones is screen size. Check the specs online. It is far larger than all other smart phones but still fits in a pocket.

Apple was scheduled to introduce the iPhone 6s which was supposed to be the first "phablet" on the market with the largest size possible and still fit in a shirt pocket. However, Samsung (with Google's help) beat them to the punch. Amazon is also involved in that competition.

The next generation is supposed to be ultra thin smart phones which can be folded like paper and be as large as 8" in diameter and then folded up to fit in a pocket. When that happens, all present day tablets and smart phones will be obsolete since the categories will have fully merged.

The object is larger and larger screen sizes still retaining pocket ability.

A parallel object is battery life without a charge. The Samsung Galaxy S5 is the only phone and / or tablet with Ultra Power Saving Mode which can last 12.5 DAYS in standby and still allow phone calls and messages to be made. No other smart phone or tablet can last 12.5 days in standby. It should be noted that the Kindle Paperwhite 2013 gets 23 DAYS of battery usage for me until it needs a charge. Of course, that is not a tablet or smart phone and can NOT be carried in one's pocket.

In that area the founder of Tesla Motors is constructing a brand new battery plant and working on new battery designs which will allow battery operated automobiles to maximize length of battery use before a charge. His research and the research of others may have breakthroughs which will affect tablets and smart phones.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-28-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #70
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You're just trying to justify your new toy.

Tablets are not going to be obsolete any time soon. Will a lot of people not buy them in the coming years? Yes, that is already beginning to happen. When you have a phone with a 5-inch+ screen, there is no need for a tablet, except for special case use. Plus, when you buy the first one, it is hard to justify an upgrade when it works perfectly okay still.

The standby is impressive, but then why exactly did you pay all that money to have a smartphone, if you're going to just use it like that?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #71
sirmaru
Wizard

Ultra Power Save uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You're just trying to justify your new toy.

Tablets are not going to be obsolete any time soon. Will a lot of people not buy them in the coming years? Yes, that is already beginning to happen. When you have a phone with a 5-inch+ screen, there is no need for a tablet, except for special case use. Plus, when you buy the first one, it is hard to justify an upgrade when it works perfectly okay still.

The standby is impressive, but then why exactly did you pay all that money to have a smartphone, if you're going to just use it like that?
I use the Ultra Power Save Mode on the S5 in the same manner I use Airplane Mode with the PW and HDX - to save battery power. When I actually use them (less than 60 minutes per day), I turn those modes off.

So far the S5 has the largest screen which will still fit in my pocket. I understand that the iPhone 6s will probably be larger but it has not yet been released. The Amazon Smart Phone will also probably be larger. However, size must be balanced between the largest viewing screen still able to be placed in one's pocket. Its a tough compromise for all these vendors until they get fully flexible devices which can be folded.

Actually, my main use of the S5 is as a tablet and camera. I rarely make phone calls or text with it. I used to carry a pocket camera the same size as the S5 but now just store it. I can see Amazon coming out in the Fall with a new Kindle Fire with the 5" size (PW = 6" and HDX = 7") in two models: one with phone and texting capabilities and one without them. In the past I could only bring my PW and HDX if my wife was with me and carried them in her pocketbook.

By the way, there is a line of Samsung H6400 LED Smart TV's with which this S5 is melded. I intend to upgrade all my TV's to these new ones and my S5 will fit into all their control mechanisms. Again, the PW and HDX do not have those capabilities.

The big problem even with this great device is obsolescence in MONTHS. I just saw this on the internet today:

"Samsung’s “premium Galaxy S5″ continues to be talked about in rumors and leaks, with a new report from the Korean media suggesting that the Galaxy S5 Prime could be launched in June. A report from Asia Today cites industry sources as saying that the Prime variant will sport a QHD (2560×1440) display, something that has been a part of every rumor surrounding the device, and that Samsung will be focusing on European and American markets to sell its ultra-premium next big thing."

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-28-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #72
Lagopus
Lagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with othersLagopus plays well with others

Device: kindle gen3
Quote:
My problem is the last PW and HDX are only SIX MONTHS old. I can't believe the rate of obsolescence with these readers. I have a hunch in 6 months my S5 will also be obsolete. I heard that Apple will introduce a "Phablet" in a few months which may have a larger screen than the S5 and still be light and small enough for a pocket.

Amazon, as well, has a new smart phone which will be offered next October.

Technology is forcing the consumer to spend more and more money for new eReaders every year. I sometimes long for the simplicity of the old print books.
Quote:
I did a factory reset of my Kindle Fire HD 2012 and my Paperwhite 2012 which will be gifted to others.

If everyone follows this policy, each Kindle could end up passing down to several other folks than the original purchaser and spread it more through the population.
You contradict yourself. If someone can benefit from being gifted your old device, then it's obviously not quite obsolete, and you could have kept using it yourself if you wanted. If your old device is truly obsolete and you're forced to buy a new, it's pointless to give it away.

You're only "forced" to buy new stuff every six months if you're a gadget freak.
Lagopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHDX8, FireHD6, FirePhn, Nex7, K4S, ClipZip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I'm never in my car long enough to listen to audiobooks. I need at least an hour to do so. The only thing I listen to while driving is music from local FM stations.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #74
athenat
athenat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
All I can say is that I own the original PW, the Samsung Note 3 and I just brought the Samsung galaxy 8.4 tab Pro....and I am loving the Tab Pro. It's making my PW obsolete. But I can say that the real reason is because I am no longer a 4-6 hours straight reader (don't have the time). I can easily read for 3-4 on my tablet without any eye strain. Not sure if I can or will go beyond that. I still find the Note 3 too small for me to read on for 3-4 hours but If I am stranded somewhere I can easily do 1-2 hours on it. I will use the tablet for the upcoming months and debate whether or not to sell my PW. I probably won't get much for it so I might just keep it. I will buy a dedicated e-ink reader again, when they are clear, concise and no more ghost or blotches. That bothers me more than glare on a tablet or a phone.
athenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #75
Stingo
Evangelist
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Why is this thread continuing?!? Sirmaru, glad you found the Galaxy S5 fits your needs. Doesn't work for me because I still prefer e-ink and because I don't like the distractions of texts, e-mails and phone calls on my reader. I do miss the voice book reading capability but I never used it that much. Nevertheless since it works for you, all the best. Hope the Samsung forum is fun.

Now, can we end this thread?!?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote