Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Have large collection of LIT files, Which reader to choose?

I have a rather large collection of Microsoft LIT files that are unencrypted.

I downloaded Calibre for the Sony and that seems to convert well. But not having a Sony to see what it actually looks like on screen, I am just basing this off the reader program on the PC. My question is which reader would be the easiest to convert and display all these lit files on? I don't want a lot of hassle.

I have almost decided between the Sony 505 and the Kindle. (I have $450 in amazon dollars, so the Cybook is out unfortunately, Don't sell it on amazon) I know you can email Amazon PDF files, but it doesn't look like you can email LIT files, you have to convert them with an outside program like Convert LIT or ABC Amber first then email them.

I was almost set on the Sony but I've heard bad things about the fonts and resizing them. Thoughts?
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
I have almost decided between the Sony 505 and the Kindle. (I have $450 in amazon dollars, so the Cybook is out unfortunately, Don't sell it on amazon) I know you can email Amazon PDF files, but it doesn't look like you can email LIT files, you have to convert them with an outside program like Convert LIT or ABC Amber first then email them.

I was almost set on the Sony but I've heard bad things about the fonts and resizing them. Thoughts?
I think a LIT file is basically a package that contains html files. So, you should be able to convert them to .mobi format for the Kindle...(yes you may need convert lit first. But, you can create a simple batch file that will do all the steps with one command.) The Sony will display your LRFs just fine since LRF is the native format. They will layout the same on the reader as they do on the calibre or eBook software viewer.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've converted lit files to lrf for the Sony Reader, very quickly, using Book Designer. BD allows you to set the font size to your heart's desire.
If your source files are nicely formatted then it really shouldn't take more than a few minutes to make an lrf book.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
For the Sony you'd want to use Calibre (which has lit2lrf) for conversions. It takes seconds to do a conversion generally. You can also up the base font size if needed when you do the conversion.

For the Kindle you should be able to use Convert Lit to explode the LIT into it's component parts & then run the OPF file through Mobipocket's software to create a PRC file. Might take a few seconds more than the Sony conversion, but nothing worth noting.

Every once in a while you'll run into a LIT that just doesn't come out the way you want in a conversion. For those few you can use Book Designer as Patricia mentioned. It will generate both LRF and PRC.

This all assumes these are LIT files from commercial sources. For LIT files from questionable sources it'll depend on how well the LIT was created.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-08-2008 at 11:26 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
You can download Sony's eBook Library for free and see how the lrf files look.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
Quote:
Since you are converting from LIT to LRF, you can set the base font to be whatever size you feel is comfortable for you to read. There isn't going to be a problem with font sizes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I have a rather large collection of Microsoft LIT files that are unencrypted.

I downloaded Calibre for the Sony and that seems to convert well.

Quote:
The program "lrfviewer" that comes with Calibre is a pretty accurate representation of how the conversion will look. LIT Conversions are never perfect, but work the way you want for the most part.

Once you get use to Calibe you will be very happy with the conversion process. I tend to like buying LIT books just to get the conversion format I like.

The Kindle requires MOBI files so you will have to convert them using MobiPerl. In that package there is a lit2mobi conversion. However that tool is command line.

Both PRS-505/Kindle have tools to convert LIT to their native format . However the PRS-505 is easier to convert, validate and install because of Calibe. So if conserving your LIT files are the biggest concern get the PRS-505.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
It's trivial to convert LIT files to either Sony LRF or to MobiPocket format. I'd suggest basing your decision on the capabilities of the reader rather than the format.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Very good points. Thanks everyone. I think I'll be fine either way, but it does look like LRF has better tools to work with, but thats probably just due to the fact its been out longer.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote