Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
maxfacs
maxfacs began at the beginning.

Device: none
Borders UK to sell iRex iLiad Book Edition

Hooray! Starting on Saturday 10th May, anybody in the UK can try the new Iliad Book Edition and grab one at a Borders store. From the press release (PDF):

Quote:
The iLiad Book Edition costs £399 and will include 50 pre-loaded eBook Classic titles. The iLiad will be available in the following Borders stores: Oxford Street and Islington in London, Oxford, Cambridge, Glasgow, Cheshire Oaks and Brighton from Saturday 10th May.
maxfacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
ec1matt
Enthusiast
ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Paperwhite 2013, Sony PRS-505(RIP)
£399? Good lord, that's expensive. I live close to the Borders in Islington, so may check it out this weekend, but I won't be parting with any cash for one of these, that's for sure.
ec1matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
actually, that's more or less the same price as we're supposed to pay for it, although i don't know british VAT rates
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
ec1matt
Enthusiast
ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I take your point that £399 is comparable to the price in other markets. Nonetheless, for me £399 is about twice the maximum I'd be prepared to pay for an ebook device. FWIW, VAT here in the UK is 17.5%.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I am curious is they will start selling the iLiad Book Edition in the US Borders. This would be nice. I assume they don't have some type of exclusive with Sony.

I love to be able to go to a store and compare the Kindle, Sony, iLiad, and CyBook side by side, and in my meaty hands. But, 2 out of 4 aint bad.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
StephanieP
StephanieP has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I am curious is they will start selling the iLiad Book Edition in the US Borders. This would be nice. I assume they don't have some type of exclusive with Sony.

I love to be able to go to a store and compare the Kindle, Sony, iLiad, and CyBook side by side, and in my meaty hands. But, 2 out of 4 aint bad.

BOb
That would be awesome. I have yet to see an e-ink device in person because the closest borders near me takes over an hour by public transit and I just don't have that kind of time, when I'm not even sure they have a sony on display.

However the Illiad Book edition certainly looks sharp in the picture, and I'd love to see it in person. I wonder how much the book edition would run for in the US.

Last edited by StephanieP; 05-07-2008 at 09:21 PM.
StephanieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
According to iRex's Blog it will be sold for $599 in the US by ereaderoutfitters.com.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfacs View Post
Hooray! Starting on Saturday 10th May, anybody in the UK can try the new Iliad Book Edition and grab one at a Borders store. From the press release (PDF):
Anyone been yet? Thinking whether I want to go into London or not on such a boiling hot day to have a look (Not interested in buying as already have an eink reader - just going to see the "cool"/novelty factor of a big touchscreen eink reader :P)
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
ec1matt
Enthusiast

I've just come back from a trip to Borders in Islington - check out my new thread for the report and some pics.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Some anecdotical evidence from IRC:
Quote:
>> pal of mine just bought one of those iliads in Borders
>> he said they were selling fast
> how many did they have?
>> lots of stock
>> in oxford street
>> with a few people in the queue buying them
>> the borders sales droid said they had sold lots
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
hapipiko
hapipiko
hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: first iLiad V2 (now retired) Kobo touch, samsung galaxy tab
quite expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfacs View Post
in the Netherlands I payed 499 euro (about 750 us$) for my iLiad V2.

the iLiad BE cost also 499 euro but without wifi.
hapipiko is offline   Reply With Quote