Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
theinv
theinv began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon kindle
How do you find your book on kindle?

When you have more than 200 books on the kindle, how do you find the book you want to read quickly? I tried the search function, but it seems you can't search by title.

It would be nice if kindle have a feature that allows user to categorize the ebooks. For example, we can have categorizes for computer/internet, business, fiction, etc.
theinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Scroll thru the pages is all we do, not ideal
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Adding subfolders for organization I would say is probably the most commonly requested feature for the Kindle. I hope they listen. I see people talking about it here, other blogs, on Amazon's forums, and I know many people have emailed them about it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
theinv
theinv began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon kindle
Adding a Tagging feature will do it too. I hope they implement it in future firmware updates.
theinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Wizard
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm-many, Kindle1, K3, iPad, iPhone 4
Yeah, it's a bummer. Two pointers that might help: I keep a text listing of my books on my computer. It's named 00-index, so when I copy it onto the Kindle, it shows up at the beginning. I can skim that list faster than I can skim the 36 pages of index ....

Then, once I pick a title, put the Kindle into alphabetical order, and press the letter that starts the title. That'll get you there faster.

Ok - #3 (free bonus tip!) You *can* put books on your SD card into another folder. If you don't name it "documents" the Kindle won't see it. But you can put books into "LATER" and "DONE" and then use any handy computer or pda to move them into/from "documents" when you want more/less items in your index display. In other words, carry them with you, but don't clutter your index until you want to.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
I only keep 20-30 books on my Kindle at a time (the rest go on my computer), unless I'm traveling and then I'll put more on the Kindle, so that I have something to read no matter what mood I'm in.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
For finding a book on your Kindle, I would recommend:
1) if you know the title, sort by title, then press the letter that begins the title; this will take you to the first page of your homescreen that has titles beginning with that letter. You can also do this with authors names if that is easier.

2) if that won't work, then rather than searching on the title, search on some word you expect to occur a lot in the book you want, but not in most of your books. The main character's name, for instance. That should pop the book you want to the top of your search results screen. For example if I search on "Luke" I get _Snowball_ and _Star Wars: Legacy of the Force_ as my two top results, since both these books have a major character named Luke.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSo View Post
I only keep 20-30 books on my Kindle at a time (the rest go on my computer), unless I'm traveling and then I'll put more on the Kindle, so that I have something to read no matter what mood I'm in.
Ditto. I let the Kindle keep the books in the "most recently viewed at the top" order so unless I'm sampling several books, the top book in the list is the one I'm currently reading.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote