Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
teija
Groupie
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, Sony PRS-350 & PRS-650
Question To pink or not to pink...

I have a lead on a pink PRS-350 for a decent price (about $60). "New" refurb... but as I haven't actually seen one in person, I'm not sure. I noticed most folks on here have either silver, or the elusive blue. Is the pink less desirable, and therefore I would have a harder time selling it if I decide to stick with my other readers? Can any pink PRS-350 users chime in?

The smaller form factor benefit is not essential to me, as I already have a Kobo Mini...but I do like the idea of a smaller Sony...

P.S. Although he loves his, my hubby is saying I should not bother, and hold off for a nice backlit reader instead. Not sure if that's just because he doesn't like the pink ones...

Last edited by teija; 03-07-2014 at 02:31 PM.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony (J) PRS 650, Kobo Mini and Aura HD
The pink is metallic pink (as is every colour in the x50 series). I liked it and was about to buy it when I stumbled upon a great offer for a 650. If it's for a woman, it should be okay. If it's for a man, well that depends on how comfortable said man is with a very pink device.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote

Enthusiast
Old 03-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
katojenist
katojenist began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-350, PRS-950, T1, T2
I have a pink 350 with a pink lighted cover. I love it! I really don't have too many girly things, so my pink reader is perfect. Also, it deters my husband and sons from ever wanting to borrow it.
katojenist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
teija
Groupie
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
If it's for a woman, it should be okay. If it's for a man, well that depends on how comfortable said man is with a very pink device.
Yep, it would be for myself... I do have other pink things (including an older pink Sony MP3 player that is probably a similar colour) but don't want to go TOO overboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by katojenist View Post
Also, it deters my husband and sons from ever wanting to borrow it.
LOL! Good point...maybe that is why my hubby is trying to persuade me to get a Glo (so that HE can use it)!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
FinancialWar
Suspended
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx Boox M92
pink is nice.

But the silver ones only cost $35 dollars with Sony case (in Australia, second hand.)

Why is the pink so expensive?

Last edited by FinancialWar; 03-07-2014 at 05:58 PM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
teija
Groupie

I would take silver if I could find it... but here in Canada, you are lucky if you can find these for less than $60. Even the clearout pink one in a very ratty box at BestBuy last year was $70 I think.

I blame a weak dollar and a higher demand for "tech" devices here...

Last edited by teija; 03-07-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300, 350 Pink & Silver, Black & Red T1, K4NT, KPW, Red T3
I had a pink one. I loved my little 350 and if you like pink you'll like it. I resold it on eBay when I moved up to the newer model at the time and it sold very quickly. Maybe 1 - 2 weeks.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
katojenist
katojenist began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-350, PRS-950, T1, T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
I would take silver if I could find it... but here in Canada, you are lucky if you can find these for less than $60. Even the clearout pink one in a very ratty box at BestBuy last year was $70 I think.

I blame a weak dollar and a higher demand for "tech" devices here...
Don't buy the silver one. I have one of those that I lend out. It's really ugly compared to the pink one. Stay pink. You won't be sorry.
katojenist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
I absolutely love my pink 350! It's a very pretty color.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #10
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree that the silver 350 is rather dull in comparison to the pink and blue ones.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3 T2 350 300, Kobo AuraHD Mini, Axim X50v
I liked the looks of my pink 350 and I am so not a Pink sort of person. My niece's daughter is a connoisseur of all things pink and judges it to be "The Stuff!" In fact, she has chosen her 350 over the new Mini she was given last birthday, based on its superior Pinkness.

I say, go for it!
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
samhy
Wizard

I'm not pink person either but I love the strawberry snapback that I bought for the Mini. More on topic, the 350 is utterly cute, but not too girly, in its pink outfit
Old 03-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: PRS-350 & 505, both in blue
Teija - since you're in Canada, get a T3.

I used to have a blue 350, 'twas a lovely thing and wonderful colour.

Having seen and held a 650 before, I was very surprised when my new T3 arrived. My first reaction was that it wasn't a 6 inch screen at all, but the 350 5 inch size. The overall size is only slightly larger than the 350 and may even be lighter, particularly if you include a cover with a 350 and compare to the T3's with it's built in version.

The screen is also another step up in clarity, similar to the difference between a 505 to the 350.

I'm another Apprentice Alf & Calibre devotee, so have no need of Sony software or the built in wifi.

Last edited by Coops; 03-13-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: PRS-350 & 505, both in blue
T3... so good, I posted it twice and can't delete the duplicate.

Last edited by Coops; 03-13-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
teija
Groupie

Hi Coops - thanks for the thoughts. For one thing, I have not been able to find anything other than the T2's being cleared out. For another, I just bought a T1 last month and took it back the other week, as I was not at all impressed with the build quality and the shiny bezel drove me nuts... So, I am sticking with the older Sony's, as I love the metal casing, and don't mind them being a little heavier.

I have decided not to go for the pink PRS-350 and instead give my 650 some more use. The size difference is not all that much really, and I like knowing that I can also listen to MP3's on the 650 if I feel like it.