Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
mgmueller
Wizard
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
iPad mini Retina 128GB crashing

I've had iPads 1 to 3 and the original iPad mini.
I don't remember them ever crashing.
My iPhone 4S since the update to iOS7 crashes from time to time, frequently when trying to delete some SMS.
Since Friday I've got an iPad mini Retina 128GB 3G. I've hesitated for some time, but eventually I caved in. I've simply got too many apps in iTunes (about 11,000).

But I really struggle with this iPad. Since Friday it has crashed maybe 6 to 8 times. I'm not quite sure yet about the cause. But I think it mainly happens when I'm trying to delete apps or checking their storage consumption in the settings.

And it gets quite warm. Not hot, but surprisingly warm. But I guess this is normal, Ive experienced this with iPad 3 as well.

I guess I'll send it back.
Anyone else experiencing such instability?

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2014 at 09:18 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
DuskyRose
Evangelist
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, -T2, Kindle PW, Nook Glow, Kobo Aura
I've had a Ipad Retina Mini 128GB (no 3g) for about three months and it hasn't crashed that I can remember. Other than making sure it's holding a charge, rebooting, and making sure it's updated, I'm not sure what else you can do with it.

Getting really warm would worry me. The charger gets really warm when in use, but I've not had mine get warm enough to notice. Although I had a regular mini before this one so maybe I'm used to it.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
mgmueller
Wizard
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I've had a Ipad Retina Mini 128GB (no 3g) for about three months and it hasn't crashed that I can remember. Other than making sure it's holding a charge, rebooting, and making sure it's updated, I'm not sure what else you can do with it.

Getting really warm would worry me. The charger gets really warm when in use, but I've not had mine get warm enough to notice. Although I had a regular mini before this one so maybe I'm used to it.
Maybe I've overstressed it?
I didn't reinstall from a backup, but from scratch.
The 128GB are filled already.
Basically, I've spent half my time since Friday with installing my core apps, downloading content and such. I remember, iPad 3 was getting really warm in this initial phase as well.
So the temperature might be explainable.
But the crashing is worrying.
I guess, I'll have to send it back...
Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad3, PRS-650, Kobo Glo,, iPad Mini and a couple of Androids
Just a comment... 11k apps? there is NO way you use all of those. I'd suggest reinstalling the OS (restore) then dont restore your current backup. Start from scratch and only add the apps you cannot live without. I have many apps as well but no more than 50 on each of my ipads. they have different purposes. None have music on them, the phone is for that.

11,000? I'm not surprised its crashing.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Just a comment... 11k apps? there is NO way you use all of those. I'd suggest reinstalling the OS (restore) then dont restore your current backup. Start from scratch and only add the apps you cannot live without. I have many apps as well but no more than 50 on each of my ipads. they have different purposes. None have music on them, the phone is for that.

11,000? I'm not surprised its crashing.
I have 11,000 apps in iTunes on my Mac.
No way they could fit on the iPad.
On the iPad mini with 128GB I've got 496 apps. And that's not that many. Some Navigation apps, some travel apps, some separate books, some games, some entertainment apps...
No movies, no music.

But: Should the iPad (or any other tablet) allow for the installation of 11,000 apps and I've got all of them from the legitimate App store, of course I still would expect the OS to be stable.
Why should any OS become unstable, just because the storage is almost filled up? If, for example, the OS would need let's say 5GB available space for some kind of swap-file or anything like that, the OS shouldn't allow to fill the storage entirely...

I've used iPads 1 to 3 and the original iPad mini intensively.
I can't remember any of those ever crashing.
And my other tablets, Android or Windows 8, don't crash either.
(Well, Android from time to time and 1 of my Windows tablets sometimes as well. But way less frequently and I can kind of reproduce what makes them crash).

I can understand, if those low-powered tablets briefly hang in a complex task.
But crashing?
What makes me a bit nervous: My iPhone 4S, since the update to iOS7, frequently crashes as well. Especially deleting some SMS seems to be critical.
So, from my personal experience, I tend towards blaming iOS 7.

Anyway...
I guess I'll exchange the iPad. Maybe (hopefully?) I have a "Monday unit"...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
My iPad Mini has never crashed. Not once. Individual apps (especially Safari) have crashed, but never the iPad itself. Of course, I only have about 10 apps on mine .
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
DuskyRose
Evangelist
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, -T2, Kindle PW, Nook Glow, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Why should any OS become unstable, just because the storage is almost filled up? If, for example, the OS would need let's say 5GB available space for some kind of swap-file or anything like that, the OS shouldn't allow to fill the storage entirely...
I would think that just anything sitting in storage and not running shouldn't matter to the OS. Nor should just filling it up with files and more than any other device.

On mine, it's almost full with movies, tv shows, music and about 20,000 epub files I handle with a file manager. Right now I have about 16 Gig left but have had it completely full before with no problems.

I'd do what was suggested, NOT load from backup in case there's some glitch in the files, and restore your apps, music, movies and files from a clean install. Takes time, but it may solve the problem.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
...I'd do what was suggested, NOT load from backup in case there's some glitch in the files, and restore your apps, music, movies and files from a clean install. Takes time, but it may solve the problem.
I've done exactly that.
I didn't even have any backup, since I've sold my original iPad mini 2 months ago.
I've started entirely from scratch.

I didn't find half a dozen apps anymore, so I've downloaded them via iTunes from my purchase history and transferred them to iPad. But I don't think, it's those apps.

And, like you say: Just having the app on the tablet shouldn't make any difference.

I'll track, what apps make the iPad crash.
I've got a week left for a "pain-free" exchange...

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My iPad Mini has never crashed. Not once. Individual apps (especially Safari) have crashed, but never the iPad itself. Of course, I only have about 10 apps on mine .
I've never had this before on my other iPads either.
It's apps, that make it crash. The respective app is crashing and then all stops. I can't leave the app, I can't do anything then restarting the tablet.
There seems to be some logic in it, not just random occurrences.
At least twice, the tablet got very warm while hanging...

My Dell Latitude 10 (Windows 8 tablet) and some of my Android tablets are crashing from time to time as well. But not that often (about 6 to 8 times in as many days). And none is getting warm - very warm...
Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
Can you isolate it to any particular type of app? For example one that use lots of memory, constantly refreshes with the internet, stores huge amounts of data? I would start with a clean slate and then slowly add your favorite apps and monitor behavior.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
Blame it on iOS 7. I've got an iPad Air and I can't go a day without Safari or Chrome crashing on me. On occasion, the iPad will even reset itself. Meanwhile, my iPad 4's on iOS 6 have been quite stable.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Blame it on iOS 7. I've got an iPad Air and I can't go a day without Safari or Chrome crashing on me. On occasion, the iPad will even reset itself. Meanwhile, my iPad 4's on iOS 6 have been quite stable.
I don't think it's anything to do with the o/s. Safari crashes just as often on my iPhone 4, which is still running iOS5.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Can you isolate it to any particular type of app?...
Not yet. But it seems you're on the right track. There seems to be some logic behind the crashes. Which, in general, would be a good sign. I certainly can live without certain apps. But I wouldn't want to live with constant, unpredictable crashes.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
mgmueller
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
For now, I definitely would agree.
My iPhone 4S, before iOS7, was 100% stable.
Since the upgrade, battery drains incredibly fast. Last week, I was on the phone for 1 hour and on standby for another 3 hours, then the battery was entirely down.
And my iPhone 4S crashes at least twice per week. Not just a specific app, but the entire phone shuts down...
Old 03-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, T2; KPW2; iPad Mini Retina; Nooks
Safari crashes much more frequently with iOS7 for me. It's a known issue with lots of complaints. Apple has acknowledged that they have a general stability issue, for example with a home screen crash that some are experiencing. iOS 7.1 is supposed to address these. However beta testers report that they haven't seen much improvement specific to Safari.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote