Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Childhood Favourites - Which ones do you remember

While thinking about how many books I have, and trying to decide which ones to get rid off (Not enough space ), I started to think about the books I read when I was a kid, and which really got me into the habit of reading.

I can dimly remember starting with the Ladybird reader series, which served our family well, all 40+ volumes were read by about a dozen of us cousins, passing along like prized heirlooms.

Then I graduated to Enid Blytons books. Oh Did we ever love those books. (Feeling nostalgic goes away to see whether they are available as e-books)

Then on to the Hardy Boys adventures. oh and Agatha Christie too.

Brings back so many pleasant memories.

So the Question I throw out to you all is, what books did you start off reading when you were younger. (Mind you the books I mentioned I was reading when I was 6 or 7, managing to convince the librarian that yes, I did want to read the big thick book, with actual stories not picture books)
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, I have vague memories of a Zeuss book or two (there was one about fishing, maybe?), but the first books I dug into were the usual Hobbit/LotR standard for developing geeks, but also The Thomas Covenant Chronicles and Julian May's Saga of the Exiles.

...but I must confess that, like my former occupation, my main preference was for what is perhaps considered boring; for books of the type David Attenborough's Life on Earth and What Bird Is That? ("I believe it's the Lesser Spatchthroated Whittlecock, and she looks angry. Better move the pets and small children inside before she takes them back to her cave as a decorative playthings.").

Also, encyclopedias and atlases.

'Tis a wonder I didn't grow up to be some boring IT Project Manager with a bug-report up his backside and a penchant for pedantry.

No, wait, that's right, I did.

Cheers,
Marc (now reading about The Philosopher's Dog)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Let's see, Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, Alfred Hitchcock's The Three Investigators (that's what they were called, he didn't right them), Sherlock Holmes.

Digging waaaay back, there's some Richard Scarey and one that always scared me badly when I was like three called The Little Boy From Shickshinney. (sp?)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My father turned me on to SF when I was young, he'd let me watch Star Trek (the original series) even though I was only 9 or 10. I remember reading a lot of pulp type SF. Before that Roald Dahl was probably what I remember the most besides Go Dog, Go! which I memorized from having it read to me and my two younger brothers many, many times. AAMOF, I read it to my kidlets, too and we can still rote recite most of the book.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
The lucky Starr series by Paul French(aka I. Aszimov)
Witch World searies by Andre Norton.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'Jennings' books, Anthony Buckeridge.
'Tripods' trilogy, John Christopher
'Horatio Hornblower' books, C. S. Forester
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
The librarian at the elementary school I attended really got me seriously interested in reading when I was in the 3rd grade by introducing me to The Little House on the Prairie series

I loved (and still love) the Secret Garden.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Winnie the Pooh
Watership Down
A book of King Arthur tales I found in a cabin in Colorado.
The Hardy Boys series
Foundation series, Asimov
A book about card tricks, I don't recall the title.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
As a good Canadian girl (and a Maritimer as well) my first book memories are of the Anne of Green Gables series. I can still see in my mind the hard cover edition of the first book that I had - wonder if my Mom still has it?

I quickly turned into a mystery buff with Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, and Cherry Ames.

Tracey
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
A book about card tricks, I don't recall the title.
Explains much.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
As a good Canadian girl (and a Maritimer as well) my first book memories are of the Anne of Green Gables series.
I much enjoyed those myself, though I didn't encounter them until the Disney Channel miniseries came out in the late '80s.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Gee, I always thought it was a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) series

Fun fact, the first TV series was filmed about a 5 minute walk from our home in Ontario (not PEI) - we could see "Rachel Lynde's" house from our driveway!
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Explains much.
We also had two sets of eEncyclopedia, the standard World Book, but my favorite was the "How it Works" set. I would browse through that for hours and hours. (Wait, that reminds me of another childhood favorite, Encyclopedia Brown.) I took that set with me, and had it up until my youngest child was about 14, then donated it to her science teacher.

We have to add "Where the Sidewalk Ends", of course. If you're looking for a window into my psyche, that would probably be the definitive text. In fact, [shouting over into another thread] put this on on my list of books I want as e-books.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-03-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:51 PM   #14
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Curious George
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Hardy Boys
Zane Grey
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Bobbsey Twins
Trixie Belden
Nancy Drew
Hardy Boys
Encyclopedia Brown
probably more .....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote