Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Service Pak 3 for MS XP

Microsoft has released Service Pak 3 for XP.
Has anyone who has installed it had any problems with the Sony Connect software, the 500/505 Reader or libprs500/caliber? Or, for that matter, any other difficulties? Just out yesterday and I hate to be the first one to try it.
Thanks.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I installed SP3 this afternoon. Completely smooth and uneventful. Connect works fine, but I can't try the connection to the Sony since I no longer have one. Similar software such as iTunes, however, still works, so no reason to anticipate any problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I installed SP3 this afternoon. Completely smooth and uneventful. Connect works fine, but I can't try the connection to the Sony since I no longer have one. Similar software such as iTunes, however, still works, so no reason to anticipate any problems.
Thank you!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I too can report no problems with Sony. About to update the machine with libprs500 on it.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't expect any issues with SP3 - unlike SP2 where they added firewall functionality, SP3 is supposed to only be fixes that were already pushed via Windows Update.

(So if you've been keeping up with Windows Update, you probably already have everything that is in SP3?)
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgharold View Post
I don't expect any issues with SP3 - unlike SP2 where they added firewall functionality, SP3 is supposed to only be fixes that were already pushed via Windows Update.

(So if you've been keeping up with Windows Update, you probably already have everything that is in SP3?)
I keep my machine completely updated with Windows Update, but SP3 still installed a shed-load of new files on my PC .
Old 05-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
photon17
Enthusiast
photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!photon17 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Too many
No problems here with calibre or Sony Connect after SP3/Windows XP.
photon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
The Old Man
Fanatic

So, with all the favorable reports, this morning I took the plunge and tried to install Service Pak3.

About an hours worth of downloading, backing up files, installing files and etc. up popped a little Warning Box telling me: “Access Denied! Update Failed.”

It then automatically ran a “Restore Wizard” than worked for about 30 or 40 minutes and then came up with a message something like, “Windows may not run correctly!”

Just think how happy that made me!

A re-boot of Windows brought up the blue screen for a few seconds and my heart leaped to my throat but then it continued as normal and all seems ok. I will not try to install the SP3 again.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Update went smooth here, took about 20 minutes to download and install, reboot. Don't notice any differences but hopefully I'm more secure
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
No real problems here. I just had to run Live Update and reboot again to get Norton Security Auto Protect to work.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There are reports that the service pack has problems on machines with certain types of AMD processor, going into an endless cycle of reboots following installation of the service pack. If you have a machine with an AMD processor it might be as well to wait for resolution of this issue. If appears to be OK on machine with Intel processors.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #12
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
There are reports that the service pack has problems on machines with certain types of AMD processor, going into an endless cycle of reboots following installation of the service pack. If you have a machine with an AMD processor it might be as well to wait for resolution of this issue. If appears to be OK on machine with Intel processors.
Yeah, there's 2 articles over at slashdot.org about the issues with SP3. Most of it seems to be either:

- HP machines which were manufactured on AMD chips, but HP used their Intel install image. So SP3 gets confused about whether to install the Intel fixes or the AMD fixes. Not AMD's fault that HP (and some other vendors) screwed up installing the operating system, but annoying.

- Machines with trojans / viruses. Which tends to always cause problems with service packs (and is why Microsoft came out with their monthly "remove bad software" tool after those issues occurred during SP2's deployment).

(I haven't read the latest SP3 post over at /. yet.)
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
I have an Intel processor in a custom built machine. 4 gig RAM and plenty of room on the hard drive. All critical updates were installed. My anti-virus was disabled during the update attempt. I was running (I forgot about it) a utility called Winpatrol that monitors all attempts to add items to the registry and starup folder. This may have been the problem. If I get brave - or stupid - I may attempt to install SP3 again. My machine has been running fine since the failed upgrade attempt.