Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #16
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I had a similar problem last week with my Aura HD. I checked and found that I had updates from Windows that were ready to install, but not installed yet. This has interfered with things like my USB connections in the past. I installed the Windows 8 updates, and I was fine. This never happened on Windows 7, but has happened 3 or 4 times since I got Windows 8. You may be facing something else entirely, but I thought I would mention it.
Same problem with 3 computers and one of them isn't a Windows machine it is a Mac. I don't think it is the OS as I have uninstalled/reinstalled the Kobo software and my USB device drivers several times. Also other things work fine in the USB ports of all my computers.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
If you find that you can connect your PC to Kobo.com and that your e-reader can be charged from you PC, your e-reader may be being blocked by your firewall.
Not recognized by the PC. The reader can connect to kobo fine via wifi.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #18
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Let's face it folks most customer service is conducted from a flowchart, a tabbed three ring notebook back in the old days, HTML today... More often than not by someone with minimal or no technical skills, often a college student working part time.

I will give points to the Kobo chat personnel. I had an issue and when they started the script I informed them I had already done procedures A-F ad infinitum and they were smart enough to realize doing them again would not help and skipped to the "OK, we're going to send you a checklist and require some photos, once we get the answers and Photos we'll exchange it" stage.

I really do think the live chat is the best way to deal with Kobo, but you have to be prepared to realize that when you have a problem not covered by the script your only resort is likely to be an exchange. That said, the exchange unit I received was indistinguishable from a brand new unit, I suspect it was, except it came in a plainer white box. They even cross shipped to minimize shipping time! It still took about a week to get to NY state from Toronto, but in fairness it was a holiday weekend and the package seemed to sit in a Toronto sorting center for several days...
Probably should have tried their chat I guess. The daily responses via email with more stupid questions is not useful.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #19
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
No Joel; I think you will find that the charging from the PC is done at the hardware level. The issue being experienced is related to the USB SOFTWARE drivers not being installed correctly on his machine.

I do know that recently davidfor had posted some tips on removing USB drivers from the PC and using a USB diagnostic tool on the PC but I can't remember what thread that was in.
PeterT: That isn't the problem. I have tried several computers and the USB diagnostic tool doesn't even show my VenderID/DeviceID for the device. It isn't sending the computer even that basic information.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #20
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The tool was USBDeview. With it you can check what is connected and see the drivers installed for each of the devices.

Is the Glo seeing the PC when connected? i.e. Does it prompt to connect? Does the battery charge?

Have you tried a factory reset? You stated that Kobo said to do this, and because of the tone and the "different resets" statements, I read that to mean you had already tried and it didn't help. But, rereading it, I am not sure that you have done one.
Yeah tried a factory reset.

The kobo sees the pc (on all machines) but doesn't send the machine a venderid/deviceid so it shows as unrecognized in USBDeview.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
before you jump ship, browse the forums of other readers.

My experience is that ALL readers have issues, there isn't one out there which is perfect.

It's a case of pick your poison from a shelf of poisons and glug it.
Well hopefully I don't have to find out but Amazon's customer service can't possibly be this slow and/or obtuse.

A week of back and forth and their latest response is that they need my software version, firmware version and purchase date (which is what they asked me day 1). The fact that it would take that long to get a resolution is a bit annoying but to just feel like I am going in circles after that period of time is ridicules and is not acceptable.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #22
PeterT
Taking a break; Fed up
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
PeterT's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,417
Karma: 46459035
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
Try using twitter to escalate this problem. Include your ticket information with the tweet.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 6,090
Karma: 6238033
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxwell View Post
Yeah tried a factory reset.

The kobo sees the pc (on all machines) but doesn't send the machine a venderid/deviceid so it shows as unrecognized in USBDeview.
So, the Kobo does prompt to connect? And the PC actually does see the Kobo, but can't identify it?

At this point, I'd probably open it up, put an image on another SD card and see if that worked. I'd probably also enable telnet on the current card to see if I could see what was going on with that. But, if it is still under warranty, you should be asking for a replacement.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #24
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, the Kobo does prompt to connect? And the PC actually does see the Kobo, but can't identify it?

At this point, I'd probably open it up, put an image on another SD card and see if that worked. I'd probably also enable telnet on the current card to see if I could see what was going on with that. But, if it is still under warranty, you should be asking for a replacement.
Yeah exactly...prompts to connect but isn't recognized by any of my computers.

Just downgraded the firmware but that didn't help.

Posted in the glo image thread asking someone to send me an image. So if that comes through then I will probably dd the image and see if that fixes it. At this point though the Paperwhite is in the mail and is supposed to arrive today so I am not too concerned.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #25
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Try using twitter to escalate this problem. Include your ticket information with the tweet.
Good idea...just tweeted at @Kobohelp.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #26
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
TechniSol's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,008
Karma: 3088870
Join Date: Jul 2010
Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'd definitely use the live chat if you're going to follow this up with Kobo, many posts have complained about a lack of responses or canned responses from the email route. They may have an automated email response setup that is not as bright as it's creators envisioned.

No offense intended, but I'm almost beginning to wonder if there was a physical event that occurred that might have stressed the USB connector in the reader and maybe lifted a connection from the board, like it fell off something with the charging cable plugged in, cable got snagged, etc. It's happened to others. Not accusing, just wondering if it's somehow physical. I wonder if the data lines are used to detect a computer is connected, or if they just sense incoming power through the charging mechanism's a/d converter, or what. In other words is it even possible to have a bad data line connection, but the Kobo could still detect it's "connected" to a computer based on incoming power?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #27
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'd definitely use the live chat if you're going to follow this up with Kobo, many posts have complained about a lack of responses or canned responses from the email route. They may have an automated email response setup that is not as bright as it's creators envisioned.

No offense intended, but I'm almost beginning to wonder if there was a physical event that occurred that might have stressed the USB connector in the reader and maybe lifted a connection from the board, like it fell off something with the charging cable plugged in, cable got snagged, etc. It's happened to others. Not accusing, just wondering if it's somehow physical. I wonder if the data lines are used to detect a computer is connected, or if they just sense incoming power through the charging mechanism's a/d converter, or what. In other words is it even possible to have a bad data line connection, but the Kobo could still detect it's "connected" to a computer based on incoming power?
Possible. I don't remember anything like that happening but stranger things have happened.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:01 AM   #28
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
dakini's Avatar
 
Posts: 194
Karma: 1678910
Join Date: Aug 2012
Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxwell View Post
Well hopefully I don't have to find out but Amazon's customer service can't possibly be this slow and/or obtuse.

A week of back and forth and their latest response is that they need my software version, firmware version and purchase date (which is what they asked me day 1). The fact that it would take that long to get a resolution is a bit annoying but to just feel like I am going in circles after that period of time is ridicules and is not acceptable.
you're not going in circles. and yes, they do sometimes ask a question that you've perhaps already answered when you initiated the request for assistance.

but, knowing it's a series of questions that takes a few days of back and forth, once they have the info, they usually can either offer the fix or replace it quick.

you have to remember ... the average person they deal with isn't all that tech savvy, and they can't be certain who is and who just pretends to be or who really isn't.

after they said mine needed replacing, i had a new (and better) one in hand less than a week, and I was several thousands of miles from Ontario where it was dispatched by international priority mail.

just hang in there with the slowness of the rounds of questions and attaching pictures to email replies ...
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #29
cmaxwell
Member
cmaxwell began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 15
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Device: Whitepaper 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
you're not going in circles. and yes, they do sometimes ask a question that you've perhaps already answered when you initiated the request for assistance.

but, knowing it's a series of questions that takes a few days of back and forth, once they have the info, they usually can either offer the fix or replace it quick.

you have to remember ... the average person they deal with isn't all that tech savvy, and they can't be certain who is and who just pretends to be or who really isn't.

after they said mine needed replacing, i had a new (and better) one in hand less than a week, and I was several thousands of miles from Ontario where it was dispatched by international priority mail.

just hang in there with the slowness of the rounds of questions and attaching pictures to email replies ...
How would you know if I was going in circles or not? The latest response from them was a carbon copy of the first response they sent me. That is the actual definition of going around in circles.

My Kindle PW2 arrived yesterday and I am going to salvage the microsd card out of the kobo glo and throw it out.
cmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #30
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
paola's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,781
Karma: 5640234
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxwell View Post
My Kindle PW2 arrived yesterday and I am going to salvage the microsd card out of the kobo glo and throw it out.
you could still sell it - various people are after cheap screens, and your Glo might do very well!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kobo revs up its line of e-readers, unveils Kobo Arc 10 HD tablet Alexander Turcic News 61 09-01-2013 01:05 AM
Glo How to import reading Life Statistics from Kobo Touch to Kobo Glo? the_m Kobo Reader 5 12-13-2012 04:40 PM
$25 gift card w. purchase of Kobo Touch or Kobo Vox at Frys sufue Deals, Freebies, and Resources (No Self-Promotion) 0 07-15-2012 11:39 AM
Touch Kobo Touch defective after 3 months and Kobo Customer Support useless shaf Kobo Reader 5 12-04-2011 06:10 PM
Kobo Touch not disconnecting properly from Calibre OR Kobo Desktop - Windows 7 JBlyth Devices 1 08-03-2011 07:50 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.