Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
Firetribe
Firetribe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Post I'm already jailbroken, want to use CM with calibre. PWII

Sorry in advance if I shouldn't post this question here, but everyone seems so friendly here, so I figured I'll give it a try

I got my PW2 just this wednesday, and guess what, it came with 5.4.2. As downgrading seems quite a job, I wanted to ask if this method here really just works on 5.4.0... I'm already jailbroken, want to use CM with calibre. I would appreciate any help, as I'm quite a newbie with Kindle hacking, though not a total newbie with Linux.

\\As this seems to be moved by an admin, I have to add that I referred to denydias How to hack a brand new Kindle Sorry for the confusion and wrongly placed post...

Last edited by Firetribe; 02-01-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Firetribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Firetribe

Okay, actually achieved my goal with Collection Manager without downgrading. But I stopped after having installed KUAL, as I'm fine with that

Great forum, you people do a great job here
Old 02-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
denydias
denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetribe View Post
But I stopped after having installed KUAL, as I'm fine with that
I'm glad you managed to make CM work under FW 5.4.2. As you might have noted, every firmware update from Amazon poses a whole new level of issues for extensions like CM and even to jailbrake (device and kindlet) and KUAL itself, being all those required items so CM can do its business.

As you have managed to go up to KUAL step, I would advise that you go just a little further to install USBNetwork (as an insurance) and at last dsmid's BackDoorLock hack to enable the backdoor lock so Amazon won't force an unattended firmware upgrade to your 5.4.2 PW2, the kind that you can't choose when to install or not. This might keep your CM working longer as you wish.

Last edited by denydias; 02-01-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Typo.
denydias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Firetribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by denydias View Post
I'm glad you managed to make CM work under FW 5.4.2. As you might have noted, every firmware update from Amazon poses a whole new level of issues for extensions like CM and even to jailbrake (device and kindlet) and KUAL itself, being all those required items so CM can do its business.

As you have managed to go up to KUAL step, I would advise that you go just a little further to install USBNetwork (as an insurance) and at last dsmid's BackDoorLock hack to enable the backdoor lock so Amazon won't force an unattended firmware upgrade to your 5.4.2 PW2, the kind that you can't choose when to install or not. This might keep your CM working longer as you wish.
Thanks for your advice Done both, no silent updates from Amazon will touch my device^^
Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetribe View Post
Thanks for your advice Done both, no silent updates from Amazon will touch my device^^
Come on now, you must be breaking Amazon's heart.

To act like you own **control** of your device, just because you bought it.

I am still betting this question, "does the vendor retain control of the device behavior after sale?", will someday hit the courtrooms.

I certainly hope to see it happen.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Firetribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Come on now, you must be breaking Amazon's heart.

To act like you own **control** of your device, just because you bought it.
I know, I must be out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

I am still betting this question, "does the vendor retain control of the device behavior after sale?", will someday hit the courtrooms.

I certainly hope to see it happen.
It certainly should... but on the other hand, bought as seen, and if it is properly communicated, I don't know if there are any legal possibilites... Though it's certainly not appreciated by this humble customer^^ That's why I love sites like this or XDA, to get as much power and control over my devices as possible
Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Move to Germany.

Job done.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
danwdoo
Zealot
danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by denydias View Post
I too have recently JB my PW2 as well as set up CM (yea!). I saw this post about 'insurance', but have been unable to find exactly what the USB network tool does. I understand the backdoorlock tool preventing automatic updates being installed, but what does this other USB tool do? I downloaded it and read the instructions, which stated if you don't know what this is you probably shouldn't install it. Not a lot of help there. *sigh*
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
knc1
Embedded Cheerleader
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many.
It allows the Kindle and the PC it is connected with to use the USB cable as if it was a network (Ethernet) cable.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW1, PW2
@danwdoo-
As 'insurance', USBNetwork allows you to have access to parts of your kindle software that you would not normally be able to interact with...this is good if your kindle has a serious software problem that you are trying to fix, this is bad if you don't know what you are doing as you can cause a serious problem that needs to be fixed.
If you are able to just install and forget, it gives a doorway for the dev's here to help you try to fix a serious software problem (partial brick). If you are like me and would be unable to resist the urge to tinker () even though you don't know what you are doing, then you should probably forget it.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
danwdoo
Zealot
danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.danwdoo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PRS-505
That answers my questions. Since my only interest is synching with Calibre, I should be fine there.
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
Firetribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Move to Germany.

Job done.
Actually, job really done, as I'm in Germany
Everything working nice here, even Duokan, just two quick questions:
Can I enable preciser display of percentage read of a book, like in Duokan? 1,17% instad of just 1%.
And is there a way to turn of backlight completely? Even on the loewst level there is some backlight, noticable when the room is dark.