Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #61
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
There is a wide difference between owning a private plane and being able to afford extra perks in something like Amazon Prime. !st of all it's a difference between a self made want and something that is (supposed) to be available to all who can afford it. That is AP is something made available by a company not something that a very small percentage of people can afford in the 1st place. I mean besides the plane you would have fuel, upkeep in the form of repairs, housing for the plane when not in use, license, and I don't know what else that you would be responsible for. With AP on the other hand it's just a matter of paying the fee to access the extra features. Even at $79.00 a year that is too much for me as I wouldn't know I'd have the extra to pay for it when the bill renewed in the following year. Limited income means just that. And if it goes higher then it is even more unlikely that I can afford it. So yes I think it would be discriminatory even if they didn't mean it to be. It's basically saying that if you are of a particular social level you can have what others who are less fortunate than you can't have. i.e. the rich get things that are denied to the poor.
I like how you hold a company that is already quite customer-friendly responsible for not being a social welfare institution. If you want one of these, you should really consider voting for those that promise their kinds of services, but to expect a company to do that is to be under the illusion that „self made man liberalist charity“ can replace (institutionalised) solidarity...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
i.e. the rich get things that are denied to the poor.
That's pretty much the definition of rich and poor.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #63
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
And what of those who can afford it now but won't be able to if they raise the price higher? Isn't that discrimination against them?
"Discrimination," by itself, is perfectly legal. All it means is favoring one person (or thing) over another. Everyone does this, probably multiple times a day. If you give your brother $20 and don't give a homeless man $20, you are discriminating against him by favoring your family. If you hire someone qualified to work at your business over someone non-qualified, you are discriminating against the nonqualified. If a college gives a scholarship to someone who is really smart and doesn't give one to someone who is not, they are discriminating against the less intelligent. If you date interesting people and do not date uninteresting people, you are discriminating against the uninteresting. If you have affairs with married women but not with unmarried people, you are discriminating against single women. (Or if you date exclusively men but not women, you are discriminating against people with one or the other sexual preference).

All of that is fine, common, and perfectly legal. Discrimination only becomes an issue when a business or the government favors or disfavors people based on a few prohibited criteria. (Note that in most cases you are free to discriminate against people in your private life even for those reasons. Although it's bad and you should stop.) So a business can discriminate against someone who is unqualified, but not against someone who is black. A restaurant can refuse to serve drunks, but can't refuse to serve women. And a retailer can refuse to sell products to people who won't meet its asking price, but can't refuse to sell to people who have a different religion. (Note that you have a similar right to work for the company that offers you $40k/year and not for the company that offers $20k...even if $20k is all that they can afford and they *really need* your skills.)

So, returning to Amazon, it's not inaccurate to say that by charging $120 for AP, they are discriminating against people who can't afford $120. But that is a completely permissible form of discrimination, and no different from their current practice, where they are discriminating against people who can't afford $80 for AP.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #64
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've had Amazon Prime for years. At the current price, it's a no-brainer for me. And even at $20 more, it's likely to be a no-brainer. At $40 more? Pushing it. But I'll bet they can find a way to make it still make sense.

Yes, sometimes they fail in their 2-day. But it's pretty rare. And they real advantage is that just about everything I buy ships 2-day, since I will rarely buy anything that isn't Prime eligible. The lending library for books? I've read 4 or 5, but nothing I really cared about one way or another. Certainly not a compelling reason. The videos? Oh, yeah. I use that a lot.
I'm similar to you. I got prime when I bought my first Kindle Fire as a promotion and never cancelled it. I usually buy Prime eligible. Haven't used the lending library much but do watch the videos. At $79 it's affordable. I would even still keep Prime at $20 more. Not sure if I would keep it at $40 more. That would be a large increase and not even sure that Amazon would do an increase that large. My thinking is they would probably keep it more in the $20 range. At least I hope.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #65
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is a wide difference between owning a private plane and being able to afford extra perks in something like Amazon Prime. !st of all it's a difference between a self made want and something that is (supposed) to be available to all who can afford it. That is AP is something made available by a company not something that a very small percentage of people can afford in the 1st place. I mean besides the plane you would have fuel, upkeep in the form of repairs, housing for the plane when not in use, license, and I don't know what else that you would be responsible for. With AP on the other hand it's just a matter of paying the fee to access the extra features. Even at $79.00 a year that is too much for me as I wouldn't know I'd have the extra to pay for it when the bill renewed in the following year. Limited income means just that. And if it goes higher then it is even more unlikely that I can afford it. So yes I think it would be discriminatory even if they didn't mean it to be. It's basically saying that if you are of a particular social level you can have what others who are less fortunate than you can't have. i.e. the rich get things that are denied to the poor.
Amazon Prime is a subscription service. Same principle as Netflix, Hulu, Audible, certain libraries (out of state), warehouse clubs, cable tv, internet, etc. Do you view those as discriminatory also?
Advert
Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #66
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My son still has his college email... Does that mean he can get Prime Student? What are the Perks? Mainly interested in Movies....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #67
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No one has any inherent right to be able to afford all the things they WANT to buy. Period.
I tell my husband he is not supporting me in the Style I WANT to become accustomed to. He's not buying it.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #68
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Even a 20 dollar hike will be the end for me. I just don't order much physical stuff. Used to when our daughter was in diapers. Never use the free kindle library. Do most of my streaming off google and netflix since I got a chromecast.

Probably time for me to cancel whether or not the price changes.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #69
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
The whole "discrimination" and "possible lawsuit" discussion RE raising the price of Amazon Prime is silly. There's absolutely no point in continuing it. No one has any inherent right to be able to afford all the things they WANT to buy. Period.

I can no longer justify the price of a pound of bacon. I miss having it, but I'm not being discriminated against (even though it may feel like it when I'm making my lettuce & tomato sandwiches).
And at what point would the price be considered non-discriminatory? Should they give it away, because some people have no extra money?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
And at what point would the price be considered non-discriminatory? Should they give it away, because some people have no extra money?
I don't think so, no. But then I don't have any issues with them raising or lowering prices as their business changes.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #71
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I see a poll coming along here soon...!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #72
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't think so, no. But then I don't have any issues with them raising or lowering prices as their business changes.
Yes, if they were going to do charity work, I'd rather them give food to the hungry or pay the heating bills for people who can't afford it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #73
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why prime?
I usually go for the standard free shipping (slower delivery) shipping. Making the threshold is not to difficult

I want hard copies of Music and video, so I care less about the streaming or cloud (turned OFF on my K4's). Ship it to me.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #74
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
No sir !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I see a poll coming along here soon...!
I will NOT post a poll this time. I've posted too many as it is.

Personally, I hope they wait for the increase until Drone Same Day deliveries are available (POSSIBLY Jan, 2015) and then have a Prime Air for $ 120. I'd go for that.

Then folks could choose between Amazon Prime and Amazon Prime Air.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-01-2014 at 03:07 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #75
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What's disconcerting though is that they already raised the minimum for non-Prime customers to get free shipping.

$40 is a 50 percent jump--that's huge.
A 50% jump is indeed hefty, if that is what they do. They've even whittled away some of the perks of Prime shipping, by including many items as "Add-on" items that require being part of a minimum order even if you're a Prime member. Granted, ordering a $3 toothbrush and getting it delivered second-day air, tax free at the time, always seemed a little odd to me.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote