Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura HD, Kobo Arc, Sony T2, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 , Kindle for PC
the <dc:title>field ?

having a debate with my library & hence with overdrive support re a problem where 2 books ( a book 1 + a sequel) , with same author, same publisher....have the same value in this <dc:title> field.

My issue was that one book over-wrote the other when both were checked out & downloaded into reader software on PC. Overdrive say PEBCAK, but I maintain that if these 2 books are added to sony reader software, then it sees only 1 book...

here's what I said to overdrive support:
so, OK - I know we're not supposed to peek into loans but I did & I saw what is below - so will someone please tell me if I am talking sense or nonsense in the message extract

.. or other wise give a for dummes take on what the dv.title field in opf is there for - thanks.

Ok guys I did a little unauthorised hacking before returning the 2 books, so please allow ME tell YOU what I think your techies need to check .

( NB I am very reluctant to retest all this – if I repeatedly checkout & return the books (using different PC and/or different download software) it is likely that my account will get locked for excessive borrowing )

Below is a previously saved extract of part of the content.opf file from book 2: Deaths’ Head maximum offence

Please observe that the dc.title field is incorrect. It is the dc-title field value from book 1.
I am 99% certain that the reader software used this field to obtain the book title

So the reader software treated this as a duplicate book and replaced the real book 1 with this one.

Please take a closer, more technical look at this

PS please don’t shoot the messenger for examining your code – only trying to help !

BOOK 2
Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="DeathsHeadMaximumOffence" version="1.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:title>Death's Head</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:file-as="David Gunn" opf:role="aut">David Gunn</dc:creator>
<dc:publisher>Transworld</dc:publisher>
<dc:identifier id="DeathsHeadMaximumOffence" opf:scheme="isbn">9781407037684</dc:identifier>
BOOK1 had a different ISBN – as it should – but duplicate title.author….
Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="DeathsHead" version="1.0">
<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:title>Death's Head</dc:title>
<dc:creator opf:file-as="David Gunn" opf:role="aut">David Gunn</dc:creator>
<dc:publisher>Transworld</dc:publisher>
<dc:identifier id="DeathsHead" opf:scheme="isbn">9781407033952</dc:identifier>
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Moving to EPUB as this is not a Sigil question/problem
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PW2
There's nothing wrong in general with duplicate dc:title values, although in your example the title for the second book does appear to be wrong. There are frequently different versions of books of the same title and author that are differentiated by ISBN.

In an ePub there is already a unique identifier in the OPF and the ISBN is also unique, so reader firmware should be able to detect different books even where the dc:title is the same.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote