Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, N7
iTunes 11.1.4 Updates breaks on Windows 7

Wasted 2 hours this morning because the iTunes 11.1.4 update for 64-bit Windows is broken. After you install the new version and try to run iTunes you get the error "MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer". From the Apple support forums it seems that this is happening for everyone (or at least, a very large number of people).

The solution (courtesy of the Apple support forum), in case anyone else gets hit with this, is as follows:

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features

Remove all of these items in the following order:

iTunes
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour
Apple Application Support

Reboot, download iTunes from the Apple site, right click the installation file and select "Run as Administrator".

It should then install and run successfully.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-24-2014 at 06:25 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Deodorant User
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD
Thanks for the warning, Harry. Seems like an update I'll skip...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I just wanted to try to save other people from the hassles that I had before I found the Apple forums (and the solution). When you're so critically dependent on iTunes to use the iPad, it's a little stressful when it doesn't work .

Looking at the Apple "iTunes for Windows" support forum, they've messed up big-time with this one. It does rather raise the question as to why people don't bother looking to see if a problem has been reported previously before posting themselves
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iTunes Error.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	118276  

Last edited by HarryT; 01-24-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2,Nook,ipad mini 2, iPad Air, iphone 6 plus
Thanks for the warning Harry. I'll definitely skip this update. I don't need to spend the next few hours shouting at my laptop.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7.2
Sounds like the old horror stories from years ago when iTunes was very finicky on Windows. I must have had to go through a similar uninstall and reinstall ritual half a dozen times, or more. Fortunately that doesn't happen with Macs, at least not yet. But iTunes does remain a slow dog of an app that needs to be totally reworked. Regardless of computer OS, it is unreliable with WiFi syncing and runs at a snail's pace. Even wired syncing can bog down and even fail. Since iTunes has been around now for 7 or 8 years, you would think Apple could pull its head out of its backside and get it programmed correctly.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

In fairness, I've installed dozens of versions of iTunes on Windows, and this is the first time I've ever had a problem.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
jswinden
Astrophotographer
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That doesn't change the fact that iTunes is a poorly written pile of poop.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini (but I have numerous other devices buried here & there...)
A colleague had this problem this morning. I found the solution elsewhere first (and didn't uninstall Bonjour). It took about 10 minutes to uninstall and then reinstall and everything seems to be working fine now.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
In the 10+ years of using iTunes, I have never had an issue, ever. Both on Windows and Mac.

I don't get it.
Jessica Lares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That doesn't change the fact that iTunes is a poorly written pile of poop.
I like iTunes, Jack, I really do. I have a very large collection of recorded BBC radio drama, and use iTunes to store and catalogue it, a task which it does very well.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

itunes is not hard to use and does a decent job of organising things, it's also good for backing up your devices as an alternative to icloud. I've also been using it for close to 10 years so it's a neccesary evil. At least it does what it says on the tin unlike Kies. However for transferring content to your devices it would be so much easier to just drag and drop, but oh well you can't have it all.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
jswinden
Astrophotographer

To each their own. I personally think it is slow and sluggish. Every time you try to sync even one file to an iDevice iTunes insists on doing a complete backup of the iDevice, even if it just did one 20 seconds earlier. It is good at organizing media, but they need to work on the syncing capabilities/flaws, especially WiFi syncing which occasionally works but at a snails pace. I know a lot of folks who simply refuse to use iTunes, other than to perhaps occasionally back up their device. I wouldn't mind the constant backups if it didn't take 5 to 10 minutes to do it each time. I've got less than 16GB on my iPad mini Retina, and even when attached via USB cable to a fast Mac the backups take forever. Rarely, if ever does the WiFi sync work correctly, and when it does it takes 20+ minutes.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru

Quote:
To each their own. I personally think it is slow and sluggish. Every time you try to sync even one file to an iDevice iTunes insists on doing a complete backup of the iDevice, even if it just did one 20 seconds earlier. It is good at organizing media, but they need to work on the syncing capabilities/flaws, especially WiFi syncing which occasionally works but at a snails pace. I know a lot of folks who simply refuse to use iTunes, other than to perhaps occasionally back up their device. I wouldn't mind the constant backups if it didn't take 5 to 10 minutes to do it each time. I've got less than 16GB on my iPad mini Retina, and even when attached via USB cable to a fast Mac the backups take forever. Rarely, if ever does the WiFi sync work correctly, and when it does it takes 20+ minutes.
I remember when backing up older devices like the iphone 3g and 4, the backup used to take quite a while but I noticed that since I've been using the lightning cable, all my devices (iphone 5s, Ipad mini and ipod touch 5th gen) back up really quickly, in less than a minute. Data transfer is also quick, quicker than transfering via drag and drop to android devices. I don't use the wifi sync. It might also be the system I'm using. I doubt it's particulalry fast (i5 windows laptop) but it is a lot faster than my previous laptop.

itunes does what it should do, quickly, but I just find it a bit cumbersome. I'd much prefer to have a file system and to just drag and drop and organise things in my own way.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:10 AM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Nexus S, Galaxy S, Nook Color, iPhone4, iPT4, iPad 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I remember when backing up older devices like the iphone 3g and 4, the backup used to take quite a while but I noticed that since I've been using the lightning cable, all my devices (iphone 5s, Ipad mini and ipod touch 5th gen) back up really quickly, in less than a minute.
Quicker backups has more to do with software and app policy changes than it does with the change of cables. Before, when you back up, all your apps, app data, etc gets backed up. Another thing, it doesn't look like older versions of iTunes have any idea what a differential backup is. Nowadays, only changes since the last backup gets synced and apps and certain app data don't get backed up. Downside to the new method, when you do a backup and restore (e.g. to a new device), oftentimes the restore wouldn't have everything from your old device.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
To each their own. I personally think it is slow and sluggish. Every time you try to sync even one file to an iDevice iTunes insists on doing a complete backup of the iDevice, even if it just did one 20 seconds earlier.
Backup is configurable on a per-device basis. I have my devices configured to do iCloud backups, so iTunes doesn't do backups.