Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Erased by Time and Blockbusters—The Cautionary Tale of Ron Weasley

I think it's an interesting point of view of the character.
Click
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I had no idea people don't like Ron Weasley.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It's the sort of thing that you only run into online. A small number of people can look like a lot online. I think there were people who hated Ron because they wanted Harry and Hermione to get together. It is somewhat understandable, it's so common for the lead male and female characters to become romantically involved. I think it was refreshing that they didn't. But some people really get bent of shape when the characters don't pair off as they want them to. It seems obvious to them that these characters should be romantically involved, even when it's really a stretch.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I have to agree with the article, in the books, it was pretty obvious that Harry and Hermione were not going to get together. The hints were pretty strong that Ron and Hermione and Harry and Genny were how things were going to end up as far back as Order of the Phoenix. It was the movies that played up the Harry and Hermione angle.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is also the input of the fan fictions. In some of them Ron is a bit more the spoiled mama's boy type and in fact in some of them Dumbledore is conspiring with Molly, Ron & Ginny to steal Harry's inheritance. I read a lot of HP fan fics while waiting for the actual books in the series to be released and still enjoy a good many of them. I've taken to saving some of them as kindle files via the Fan Fic downloader plug in for Calibre.

Edit: I think it's also only fair to remember that whenever a book is made into a movie some details are changed. I mean if they included everything from a given book in the movie version movies today would make the great epic movies of the 50's look short by comparison. Generally 1 page of script = 1 minute of screen time so a script of 120 pages would make a movie that was 2 hrs long, and I can only imagine that that would be a very short script compared to some that would result if everything in a given book was included in the script.

Last edited by crich70; 01-17-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Related:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/12/30/gi...er-movie-book/

I've only seen a few of the movies so I can't really play.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Ron was my favorite character. He never came across as a whiny douchebag...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
How do you pronounce the name Hermione and why would you lumber your daughter with such a name ?
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Her-MY-nee when said quickly. I think when said with more care, you hear the o like you'd hear it in the word "lion". So, Her-MION-nee.

Why? Who knows? My mother was named Gertrude. I'd rather be a Hermione!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Why? Who knows? My mother was named Gertrude. I'd rather be a Hermione!
Gertie and Trudy are nice nicknames, but Hermie is just wrong.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
My mother was named Gertrude. I'd rather be a Hermione!
Actually, Gertrude is a lovely name when pronounced properly in various German dialects.

The name is pretty. Clearly, it was regularly used in the last century up until the 60s.
People named Hermione.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think it's an interesting point of view of the character.
Crich70 - it is a very interesting article - thanks for posting. I was surprised and didn't realize that some people don't care for Ron.

In a tv interviews with JK Rolling, the interviewer said his/her favourite character was Ron. JkR said 'yes -but it is easy to love Ron' and she thought it was difficult to care for Harry. She also said her favourite character was Harry.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #13
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
How do you pronounce the name Hermione and why would you lumber your daughter with such a name ?
In the fourth book, Hermione pronounces her name for a Bulgarian visitor to the school: Her - MY - oh - KNEE. (He keeps saying her-me-own and herm-own-ninny.) An anchorwoman on a popular news program here in Australia is named Hermione.
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Her - Me - Own

Because at the very least it's funnier that way.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Queen Hermione of Sicily, a character in the play The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare
I don't recall if it's mentioned in canon or if it's just in fanfics but Hermione Granger is said to be named after the Hermione in Shakespeare's play. J.K. Rowling has said that in a lot of ways Hermione is herself as a school girl.