Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #391
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've always wondered just what these religious extremists believe is going to happen to people who read HP? ie what exactly is the "danger" in it?
Because its the 'devils way to lead you into paths of non-righteousness"

Another power play, in other words. If you don't believe as they do , you are on the 'devils side'.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #392
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro
It sounds to me as if they don't have a very strong faith if they believe that it's going to be swayed by a fictional depiction of something that they personally disapprove of. Any belief that can't stand up to questioning is probably not worth having in the first place.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #393
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It sounds to me as if they don't have a very strong faith if they believe that it's going to be swayed by a fictional depiction of something that they personally disapprove of. Any belief that can't stand up to questioning is probably not worth having in the first place.
Thats got nothing to do with it, Harry. Its a power trip. The leaders can dictate what you do and do not believe, how you live, etc.

Just like any dictator.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #394
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thats got nothing to do with it, Harry. Its a power trip. The leaders can dictate what you do and do not believe, how you live, etc.

Just like any dictator.
Interesting way to put it. I always saw it as trying to control everything, which goes along with what you said.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #395
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
"The land of the free" always fascinates me with this kind of news.

There is one thing you do not mention Redcard. Where do these things occur? Is it in your town, at school or at a place of worship.
Churches mostly in my area, around Nashville. (No, it's not "remote", not even close.)

There are some schools in the area that have pulled it from their "allowed reading" lists, as well as other books, under pressure.. but many still let it go.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #396
yvanleterrible
When books can fly!
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini in my lunchbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
Churches mostly in my area, around Nashville. (No, it's not "remote", not even close.)

There are some schools in the area that have pulled it from their "allowed reading" lists, as well as other books, under pressure.. but many still let it go.
Are those church or State run schools?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #397
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:

Just like any dictator.
Sigh, you know, while I am sure that there are some who seek power for its own sake, and most of those who have power might well enjoy its use, I think it is very dangerous to believe that those who do wield power wield it arbitrarily.

Many dictators, especially religious dictators really truly believe what they preach. It is often that belief that encourages their quest for power in the first place.

The simple fact of the matter is that many Christians, especially Christian fundamentalists use an older definition of magic that essentially was built around bargaining with supernatural powers for power. Such definitions existed for centuries. From the Christian perspective, that sort of magic certainly would be a threat. Unfortunately the definition of what is and what is not magic has changed radically over the past several decades. What Harry Potter uses could have been labeled super powers or psionics and in many respects the story would have been little different, but the use of the term magic (and particularly the term witches which also implies pacts with supernatural powers in older definitions ... sorry if I offend any wicca here, but that is what it essentially was prior to 1900) can certainly be upsetting to some Christians.

Now, as a Christian, I think Harry Potter is mostly harmless fun (though as with many things, there are some who take it way too seriously), but I think it would be a mistake to simply dismiss the concerns of other Christians as a "Power Trip"

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 AM   #398
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post

Now, as a Christian, I think Harry Potter is mostly harmless fun (though as with many things, there are some who take it way too seriously), but I think it would be a mistake to simply dismiss the concerns of other Christians as a "Power Trip"

--
Bill
"Concerns of other Christians" is one thing. Actually forbidding the reading of books they don't approve of, having them pulled from library shelves, and encouraging book burnings is another. Thats a power trip.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #399
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
The simple fact of the matter is that many Christians, especially Christian fundamentalists use an older definition of magic that essentially was built around bargaining with supernatural powers for power. Such definitions existed for centuries. From the Christian perspective, that sort of magic certainly would be a threat. Unfortunately the definition of what is and what is not magic has changed radically over the past several decades. What Harry Potter uses could have been labeled super powers or psionics and in many respects the story would have been little different, but the use of the term magic (and particularly the term witches which also implies pacts with supernatural powers in older definitions ... sorry if I offend any wicca here, but that is what it essentially was prior to 1900) can certainly be upsetting to some Christians.
Bill,

I appreciate that some may wish not to read it for the reasons you state. That's absolutely fine with me. What I very strongly object to, however, is such people trying to prevent others from reading it.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #400
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Are those church or State run schools?
State run.

That's why there's the trouble.

Church run schools around here have long since banned it without much dissent.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #401
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I thought that American state schools weren't allowed to do anything "religious". Isn't there a legally-enforced separation between church and state in the US?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #402
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I thought that American state schools weren't allowed to do anything "religious". Isn't there a legally-enforced separation between church and state in the US?
But, schools are not allowed to make the kids do things that are against their (parents) religious beliefs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #403
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But, schools are not allowed to make the kids do things that are against their (parents) religious beliefs.

BOb
I help in a class of kindergartners. One is Jehovahs's Witness. She will not say the pledge, but at least has been taught by her parents to stand respectfully while it is being said.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #404
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I help in a class of kindergartners. One is Jehovahs's Witness. She will not say the pledge, but at least has been taught by her parents to stand respectfully while it is being said.
That's a good thing.

I remember when I was in Kindergarten I got in trouble for letting the flag touch the ground. They wouldn't let me hold it up after that, it made me sad
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #405
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
That's a good thing.

I remember when I was in Kindergarten I got in trouble for letting the flag touch the ground. They wouldn't let me hold it up after that, it made me sad

awwww.......I would have given you another chance! Because you always learn from your mistakes!