Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
FrankN
FrankN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Cover - My attempt at perfection!

My kindle was well worth the six week backorder and has met my every expectation with the exception of the cover and that giant next page button that I constantly hit trying to hold the device in a confortable position. I began a quest to make the perfect cover. After many protypes I have nearly reached perfection. The first task was to design a substantial metal clip that will not only hold the device but provide a resting spot for my right hand to easily press the next page button. I wanted the cover to be light, firm and comfortable all achieved with artist board and padding on both sides. I added a leather binding in the middle for flexibility as well as a nice place to hold the book on the left side. This also alowed the cover to extend past the right side when fully open providing a place to hold but keeps my thumb off that next page button unless I want to turn the page! It works so well that I have made same cover from used jeans, quilted patterns and any fabric that strikes my mood for the day. Perfection at last!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	12370  
FrankN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
That is pretty neat! I recently received my Kindle and that next page button on the right is nearly driving me nuts, too.

Any chance you'll make one to order to sell?
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
FrankN
FrankN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hours from perfection!

It's not quite ready for prime time, but only hours away. I keep finding needed improvements with each prototype. I'm working on a fastning method for the right side although it holds well with the metal clip alone. I'm still debating on using a metal clip on the right with tension held by elastic under the cover. At the very least I'm sewing a velcro dot to the cover as the stick on kind eventually fails.
I haven't thought of selling and have no clue what it's worth as this is simply a hobby along with my amateur shoemaking. I work with Radiologist and computers and spend lot's of time on airplanes. I've found sewing and reading a nice diversion to forget my day job! Regardless, the perfect cover has been a quest.
I'm making a canvas khaki colored cover now with the new improvements and will post some pictures of my creation.
FrankN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
The spouse is having a serious case of the "wants" over the tractor cover. As former urban dwellers now living on remote acreage (goodbye TV/cable, hello Kindle!), his tractor holds a near and dear spot in his heart
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
pretty soon you will be able to retire from radiology *and* computers and become a kindle cover millionaire.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book cover, cover, holder